Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:22 pm
rodgers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:52 pm Didn't Danny Seaborne arrive after some sort of attack as well?

I hope Boyce doesn't go as a result. It feels a bit like the time Kenny signed Kerrea Gilbert for Rovers.

I think he has a good pedigree and isn't a journeyman but the short term nature isn't inspiring particularly if it leads to more committed players leaving. At his best level, he ought to be miles above the LOI.
If he's a different level to LOI, how come Salford and Warrington are the latest clubs he's been involved with?

His best is obviously long behind him.

But we'll see how he does. Let's hope he's match fit.
According to his video he's raring to ho.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:27 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:22 pm
rodgers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:52 pm Didn't Danny Seaborne arrive after some sort of attack as well?

I hope Boyce doesn't go as a result. It feels a bit like the time Kenny signed Kerrea Gilbert for Rovers.

I think he has a good pedigree and isn't a journeyman but the short term nature isn't inspiring particularly if it leads to more committed players leaving. At his best level, he ought to be miles above the LOI.
If he's a different level to LOI, how come Salford and Warrington are the latest clubs he's been involved with?

His best is obviously long behind him.

But we'll see how he does. Let's hope he's match fit.
According to his video he's raring to ho.
You don't get to his levels without being a step above the norm. However, the question is why can't he find work in England (even in the lower divisions) and whatever it is has forced him to cast the net as far and wide as DCFC. Entirely normal for a low level footballer playing in England but not so someone of his calibre. I'm sure we'll find out.

But the standard in our league is so poor this season that he could turn up and not be 100% and still walk onto most teams. No doubt his experience of playing at the top level will also rub off and im sure his expectations of his teammates will be sky high. Looking forward to watching him play and also to see what leadership qualities he brings too.

Presumably this signing is the end of Boyce? If so, a shame.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I'd guess it's because of his injury.

To be fair to Salford City, they are League Two and the last players we sent to England, Graydon and McJannet, are currently in that division.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

Calvin Plummer.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

brandyball wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:50 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:53 pm
brandyball wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:20 pm

Taken from Liverpool Echo article about his Salford Trial

The right-back is seemingly hoping to return to the Football League and secure a deal with Salford, which would be the ninth club in his career. Wisdom is currently on trial with the League Two outfit, owned by Manchester United legends David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.
According to Transfermkt we are his 7th club & 4th permanent club. Whilst at Liverpool he had 4 different loan moves in 4 years before getting a permanent transfer to Derby where he stayed for 4yrs & made over 100 appearances I'm not exactly sure how that constitutes a journey man.

As Dee has already alluded to he never properly recovered from his stabbing & reading up on him he took some time out to get himself fit again & found his way back into football with Warrington which has given him his hunger back for full-time football
Left Warrington then had a full pre Season with Salford, who didn't think he was worth a contract(?)
He left Warrington to pursue full-time football. There are no reports or quotes stating why he didn't get a contract at Salford but plenty suggesting that he done a full pre-season with them including playing games so hopefully he's close to match fit as can be

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Considering Davenport has managed only 40MINS in almost 2 months I wouldn't worry. Talking of Davenport do we know what his injury is? Looked a very good player in the 40 mins that I seen him. And Fats should be back soon by all accounts.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Looked like he pulled his hamstring during the Dundalk game, from what I observed.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Dhaithi McCallion gone to Ballymena Permanently

And so it continues.

https://www.facebook.com/share/i6fpWeCpe2TNV9Gf/

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

joe3576 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:15 pm Maher and O'Reilly will want to return to Dublin in the near future too, as Dublin players playing for us, tend to stay 1-2 years at most.
Joe... O'Reilly is a Corkman... never let him hear you say hes from Dublin or he'll go through yee ;)

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

yes Greengo - but the point is that he will sign for one of the Dublin teams no doubt

Daithi McCallion now gone too, who I hear is an unbelievable prospect ...

Something not right

Even if we win this league, are we laying down any solid foundations going forward ?, or os it simply everything is geared to winning this league, no matter the cost, the loss of local identify, and at the detriment to any type of young policy ?

6 local lads all gone in one month, while we bring in players for c. 11 games from across the water.

This looks all very much like Blackburn Rovers in 1995

As Steve Bradley is rightly saying, a lot of what we are doing at present is very much built on sand

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

McCallion has a buy back clause so we have that option should he reach his potential. The reality is that very few academy players go on to represent the senior team for any length of time. The jump from u19s to senior team is huge and fellas need to be very talented to make that jump. Chances are that the most talented will go to England anyway.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I'd agree that the exodus of young local players is worrying.

Appreciate not all of them might have made the grade, but surely if they had made it into the reserves and on the 1st team bench occasionally, they must have been the best of the young players?

Why is our academy system not bringing through youngsters good enough?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Goalkeeper

Brian Maher (Nov 2024)
Tadhg Ryan (Nov 2024)

Defenders

Ronan Boyce (Nov 2025)
Mark Connolly (Nov 2024)
Shane McEleney (Nov 2024)
Sam Todd (Nov 2024)
Ciaran Coll (Nov 2024)
Ben Doherty (Nov 2025)
Andre Wisdom (Nov 2024)

Midfield

Cameron Dummigan (Nov 2026)
Sadou Diallo (Nov 2025)
Will Patching (Nov 2024)
Patrick McEleney (Nov 2024)
Adam O'Reilly (Nov 2024)
Jacob Davenport (Nov 2024)

Paul McMullan (Nov 2024)
Micheal Duffy (Nov 2025)
Daniel Kelly (Nov 2025)

Forwards

Patrick Hoban (Nov 2026)
Colm Whelan (Nov 2024)
Danny Mullen (Nov 2024)

---------------

Based on the information we have, from our current squad, we only have 7 players tied down for next year. 14 players are at the end of their contracts. Two thirds!!

I do wonder how much of that is down to the uncertainty Higgins might have around his own future. If he's the one making the calls and he's not sure of being around, then what incentive does he have to get these players back next season. If he does leave then we're up shit creek!

Maher is likely to go. O'Reilly will probably get offers, Patching too. I don't think Mullan will want to continue being a squad player, despite big wages. Do we want to be giving another contract to Fats and Whelan who unfortunately have been injured more often than not?

I genuinely fear for us next season. This could be our last shot at winning the league for a number of years.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:12 pm McCallion has a buy back clause so we have that option should he reach his potential. The reality is that very few academy players go on to represent the senior team for any length of time. The jump from u19s to senior team is huge and fellas need to be very talented to make that jump. Chances are that the most talented will go to England anyway.
So are you saying. We will not see another. Liam Coyle Badger Higgins Pizza Mc Lean Barry hegarty. Boyce etc etc etc etc etc come through now so we can be proud of who plays for us or will we go for the Mokendi Luther Blisset Earnie Taylor all signed by usetc etc etc BIG NAMES who couldn’t care a toss for us as long as the money was handed out

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

eugenio wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:50 pm So are you saying. We will not see another. Liam Coyle Badger Higgins Pizza Mc Lean Barry hegarty. Boyce etc etc etc etc etc come through now so we can be proud of who plays for us or will we go for the Mokendi Luther Blisset Earnie Taylor all signed by usetc etc etc BIG NAMES who couldn’t care a toss for us as long as the money was handed out
I'm not saying that we won't have players come through, I'm highlighting that it is very difficult for a variety of reasons. It may be that players go away and come back like we've seen with Fats, Shane, Duffy, Todd, Doherty but going from academy into the first team is difficult, particularly for a team challenging for titles.

As we seen in Higgins first season, young players get a chance when the expectations of the club are lower. As the expectations and ambition grows, as outside players come in and raise standards, playing time becomes squeezed for younger players.

A successful academy is one that produces players that play regularly at senior level and provide a career for players, even if they're plying their trade elsewhere. Derry has a productive academy, they just don't happen to play for us most of the time.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Any player who goes on loan must know his days are numbered.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

There’s no U21 league and young players need games. So the reality is our academy is a pathway to a career elsewhere and hopefully a transfer fee for the Club. Same with all Irish clubs.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:37 am There’s no U21 league and young players need games. So the reality is our academy is a pathway to a career elsewhere and hopefully a transfer fee for the Club. Same with all Irish clubs.
What's the point of an Academy if we're developing players for other teams to reap the benefits.? Any transfer we may receive always seems to be " undisclosed" so we never know the values. In Daithi McCallions case we've inserted a "buy back" clause and again we won't know the benefit to the club. Looks like any new manager coming in will have a big job on their hands building almost a completely new team.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:39 am
marcoloco wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:37 am There’s no U21 league and young players need games. So the reality is our academy is a pathway to a career elsewhere and hopefully a transfer fee for the Club. Same with all Irish clubs.
What's the point of an Academy if we're developing players for other teams to reap the benefits.? Any transfer we may receive always seems to be " undisclosed" so we never know the values. In Daithi McCallions case we've inserted a "buy back" clause and again we won't know the benefit to the club. Looks like any new manager coming in will have a big job on their hands building almost a completely new team.
There's lots of benefits. Its how football clubs operate, it's a pathway for local kids, it's an income generator for the club, it creates employment, and it produces good quality players that may develop either at their parent club or elsewhere. All players come through someone's academy.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

I would have no doubt that we would have better in our under 19 squad and within some of the local players that we have just let go - than Kelly and Diallo this season.

Neither of those two have done anywhere near enough to justify a big wage and being selected each week ahead of players like Jackie and McEnuff.

I would rather a local kid get a chance than see those two lift big wages and offer little in return.

Kelly one goal all season

Diallo a liability and has given 3 penalties away and needless sendings off also.

Ryan MccBride, Barry MacNamee, Ronan Curtis, Rory Holden, James McClean, Conor McDermott all were given a chance

We are giving zero chances to any good kids at all.