Derry City v FCB Magpies, Leg 2, Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v FCB Magpies, Leg 2, Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

We scored 2 goals over 2 legs and one of those goals was from a set piece by a CB...

So that 1 goal from open play (which was via another set piece) in more than 210 minutes of football against a pub team. Not to mention the 3 goals conceded. Not acceptable.

And yet some people believe sacking the manager will set us back 3 years. :lol:

But the warning signs were there early on. Performances, tactics, substitutions, results, player releases and acquisitions, changing backroom staff. We are not a progressive team, we have the same faces week in week out in the squad, and the coaching is not progressive.
Last edited by marcoloco on Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

Hopefully not like last year, losing to Pats at home.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

You can use the sending off as an excuse, or try to blame the ref, but like it or not this team is a shambles and that was one of the worst and most embarrassing results for an Irish team in European history.

We are a laughing stock at this stage, and everyone is calling it out, except some for whatever reason. They want us to continue playing like we have been playing for the last 2 years? For what purpose?

Face facts, the emperor's naked. If we go out of the cup on Sunday, he has to go. End of. I have given up hope of winning the league, it ain't going to happen. We blew a great chance which might not present itself for a good few years.

Is POD blind? Good luck trying to sell the extra 3000 seats next season.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Not blaming the ref for us not going through but that was the worst officiating I've ever seen at The Brandywell we thought the standard in LOI poor.

Someone has said there seems to be a fitness issue with the teams I'm not sure if that was the case in previous seasons. I have said previously that Higgins is afraid of losing rather than going all out for the victory. After the arduous 30 minutes of extra time I fear for us against St Patrick's on Sunday.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Don't like to see anyone loose their job but the tripe we have been served up this season is brutal Higgins has to go and Hegarty along with him.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Just looking at UEFA stats, we committed 9 fouls and got 9 yellow cards. Magpies committed 24 fouls and got 6 yellow cards.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaconferenceleag ... s-magpies/

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

BrandywellRedMariner wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:33 am Just looking at UEFA stats, we committed 9 fouls and got 9 yellow cards. Magpies committed 24 fouls and got 6 yellow cards.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaconferenceleag ... s-magpies/
New rules came in for the euros stating that on the field the only players who are allowed to approach the officials to discuss on field decisions is the captain. We had players who did it time and time again and received cards. Honestly, some were lucky that the official was lenient because Connolly, who was booked earlier, did it a few times and could have gotten sent off.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Didnt hand the yellows out for talking to the ref but. Handed them out for the fouls. Ref was so far out of his depth with some of the decisions

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

fergal wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:05 pm Didnt hand the yellows out for talking to the ref but. Handed them out for the fouls. Ref was so far out of his depth with some of the decisions
Thon female assistant was worse than useless too.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

100% yellows for us, 25% for Magpies.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

BrandywellRedMariner wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:15 pm 100% yellows for us, 25% for Magpies.
But but this didn’t cost us the match

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:27 pm
BrandywellRedMariner wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:15 pm 100% yellows for us, 25% for Magpies.
The manager messed up both games. Yes, we were on the wrong end of a harsh decision but the manager clearly had not prepared adequately (or considered all the possibilities) and could not work out how to break down a pub team. In the end it was two corners that led to goals. You couldn't make it up. The sooner the inevitable happens the better.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:40 pm
The manager messed up both games. Yes, we were on the wrong end of a harsh decision but the manager clearly had not prepared adequately (or considered all the possibilities) and could not work out how to break down a pub team. In the end it was two corners that led to goals. You couldn't make it up. The sooner the inevitable happens the better.
marcoloco wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:40 pm
Marco was in Sligo suddenly we dropped off players and didn’t tackle boom a shot were gone We lost. Suddenly in Brandywell v Magpies we dropped off dropped off players didn’t tackle shot. We lost. But we are only punters we shouldn’t see this Coaches should Now I’ll get slated as a wringer again

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

It's been clear for a long time that something isn't right. Being reasonable I guess the manager deserved a crack at Europe and the Cup to save the season. One is now gone and the other presents itself tomorrow. Would a cup run be enough to rebuild his reputation - i don't think so. I can't see a way back for him but time will tell.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

The manager will get to see out the season, even if we go out of the cup tomorrow.

Rovers already gone. Would a cup final save him? I don't think so.

In reality, he'd need to win the league to have any hope of keeping his job imho. But hey, what do I know?