St. Patrick's Athletic v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

St. Patrick's Athletic v Derry City Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

The circus of 'will he/won't he' has distracted everyone from the fact that there is a match happening on Friday. Whether Kenny is in place in time is still to be seen but for Derry City it is important to get a result on the road. If will be interesting to see if Higgins will rotate the team with players returning. Depending on Connolly's fitness, his position may be the only one that changes.

All news, predictions and reaction can be posted below. If you can't make it the match will be live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: St. Patrick's Athletic v Derry City Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Let's hope he returns. It would be a great benefit to the league and lift its profile.

Obviously, home and away at Pats is always a tough game and one we should be winning if we're serious about winning leagues given their current turmoil.

Let's see who we can get out on the park and who will be sat on the bench...

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

By the way Marco, just for fun, I am going to park the following stat here:

Brandon Kavanagh- 8 goal assists (currently the most in the Premier Division).

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Pats were poor enough at the Brandywell, but this will be a completely different game this time around I feel, especially with players wanting to impress SK.

Will be tough to get all 3 pts, but here's hoping.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

TenaciousDee wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:51 am By the way Marco, just for fun, I am going to park the following stat here:

It would be interesting to know where Kelly is on the list.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:51 am By the way Marco, just for fun, I am going to park the following stat here:

Another departure that left me scratching my head. He's having a great season and at 23 is a perfect age. He's only going to get better.

Not the first player we've allowed to depart maybe to save on wages or because he was pushing for more first team opportunities. I understand Duffy, when fit, kept him out of the side but when building a squad to challenge in the league and take a run at Europe you'd love a player with his energy and contribution.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Was one of those assists Arran Greene for Shans first goal last week?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

marcoloco wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:44 pm

Another departure that left me scratching my head. He's having a great season and at 23 is a perfect age. He's only going to get better.

Not the first player we've allowed to depart maybe to save on wages or because he was pushing for more first team opportunities. I understand Duffy, when fit, kept him out of the side but when building a squad to challenge in the league and take a run at Europe you'd love a player with his energy and contribution.
If we wanted to save on wages, you'd think we'd be looking at one of the highest paid players in the league who tends to watch more games than he plays?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:53 pm
marcoloco wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:44 pm

If we wanted to save on wages, you'd think we'd be looking at one of the highest paid players in the league who tends to watch more games than he plays?
I think those long term injured players on high wages are untouchable. As in no one will go near them... so you either pay them off or let them run down their contract. Not the players fault they got injured and good that they are projected. It's a short profession for those lads.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Kenny announced as their new manager. Contract to 2029.

Will be interesting to see if we can compete moving forward.

Great for the league but obviously not for us.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

It'll be hard to look past Rovers and St Pats for the next few seasons if Kenny does what we know he can in Inchicore.

Hard not to feel that our window to win the league has passed. This is a pessimistic viewpoint of course but it's difficult to see how we can overcome two strong Dublin teams.

But this is football and things can change quickly.

For Stephen himself, I hope he does well. He must not have received the interest he hoped for in the UK or further.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 am It'll be hard to look past Rovers and St Pats for the next few seasons if Kenny does what we know he can in Inchicore.

Hard not to feel that our window to win the league has passed. This is a pessimistic viewpoint of course but it's difficult to see how we can overcome two strong Dublin teams.

For Stephen himself, I hope he does well. He must not have received the interest he hoped for in the UK or further.
I think we all know what's coming down the track...

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Prediction, Pats will win the league before we do.

New manager bounce will make this a very tricky game.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:19 am
Nige92 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 am It'll be hard to look past Rovers and St Pats for the next few seasons if Kenny does what we know he can in Inchicore.

I think we all know what's coming down the track...
Can't help thinking we missed a trick here.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Great for the league. Great for Pats. Great for those players that he'll manage.

It'll also shine a light on other teams not performing. Not delivering.

Overall standards and quality should rise right across the board as other teams attempt to compete.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

The only place where he never got sacked was with Derry City .

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

when did Dundalk and Longford sack him?

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

marcoloco wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 pm Great for the league. Great for Pats. Great for those players that he'll manage.

It'll also shine a light on other teams not performing. Not delivering.

Overall standards and quality should rise right across the board as other teams attempt to compete.
Absolutely shit for us. Couldn’t get close to the league when Rovers had a scarecrow in goals, and now we let this happen.

A massive fuck up from all concerned.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Marty what are you on about.