The Title

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: The Title

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:35 pm Are the FAI suddenly flush with money?
They applied for 500k to upgrade pitch and floodlights. FAI just telling them they’ll get it in case it helps them secure a new owner. Apparently it was already decided but they’ve just found out before it’s all contractually agreed in writing.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

That's Rovers setting the cat amongst the pigeons 6 pointer on Friday night.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

brandyball wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:49 pm That's Rovers setting the cat amongst the pigeons 6 pointer on Friday night.
1 point behind us if they win on Friday . Let's hope it doesn't come to that. If we perform like we did against shelbourne we've got a good chance of 3 points.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:24 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:49 pm That's Rovers setting the cat amongst the pigeons 6 pointer on Friday night.
1 point behind us if they win on Friday . Let's hope it doesn't come to that. If we perform like we did against shelbourne we've got a good chance of 3 points.
Had we performed like we did on Friday more often this season we'd be out of sight by now! Keeps it interesting though. :D

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Think it’s maximum 3.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:44 am
[/quote
Had we performed like we did on Friday more often this season we'd be out of sight by now! Keeps it interesting though. :D
As relevant as if Man Utd performed like they did in the FA Cup Final they would have won the Premiership last season.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:18 am
Think it’s maximum 3.
:lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:18 am
Think it’s maximum 3.
If we beat Rovers we go 7 clear of them, if Rovers win they go 1 point behind us, a turnaround of 6 points.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:21 am
marcoloco wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:44 am

[/quote
As relevant as if Man Utd performed like they did in the FA Cup Final they would have won the Premiership last season.
I see many similarities with Man Utd and us... two decent cup teams and a very expensive wage bill.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Dundalk takeover agreed.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Great news.

May the best team win!

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I think tomorrow night's game could be season defining.

Lose it and the title is gone imho. Shels would love it to be a draw, especially if they manage to win in Galway.

I really hope we play like we did again Shels in the cup game. Gloves off, let the team play, express themselves, get in the oppositions faces.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:45 am
marcoloco wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:16 pm
Greengo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:45 pm

Read into it a bit more... I think someone said Shels would have 2 games in hand but I dont know how that would work with everyone nearly having played the same number of matches... Unless they have to play them before the end of the season...

I know this might sound strange but I think something was going on in the background before this season started. Dundalk just didnt start becoming whipping boys due to a couple of players leaving. They went 11 games without a win before Noel King stepped in and they finally won at the 12th attempt after Stephen O'Donnel was relieved of his managerial duties a week earlier.
King left under mysterious circumstances, insert medical reason here, and they soon appointed the recently sacked St. Pats manager Jon Daly but the trend continued with losing games, drawing a few, us included, and winning the very odd match after that.
Players can revolt if they are not happy, we've seen that up close ;)

Fair play if the 1903 can raise funds but I think its an uphill struggle they will not summit... I hope I'm wrong but long term I cant see that club surviving in the top flight for years to come... mediocrity awaits unless they can pull a couple of rich investors in and keep them afloat...
Every single team in the league is kept afloat by a rich investor. That's the nature of the game.

League prize money, gate receipts, TV money and merch sales alone are not sufficient to run a club.

The biggest disappointment for Dundalk and their fans is that the previous owners ran off with their 5M european windfall. But that's the downside of welcoming an Investment Company like Peak 6 to be your owners. Double edge sword.

They also have circa 1M in debts which is likely to prove a difficult one for any new owner to absorb.
Not true again. Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sligo & Drogheda are not kept afloat by rich investors.

Dundalk squandered their 5M on poor choices and bad investments. That’s after significant bonuses were paid out including a certain S Kenny reputedly having a 20% of all prize money won bonus in his contract. Pretty sure Peake6 left them in the black. They have been financially poorly managed since.

According to the press reports last week they are around 500k in debt.
Drogheda are owned by the Trivela Group who are an American based company who also own Walsall in England