The Title

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: The Title

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:36 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:59 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:19 pm

They are on the board but I don’t think they have put anything in the pot. Shams have a financial model that has not required investment from any individual in recent years. It has been sustained by their European money’s and last year they made an operating loss of E2.37M. If they had not made the conference group stages there would have been significant cuts in their playing budget next year. Big money to be made this year but that hole (E2.37) has to be filled in and unless they win the league this year (?) highly unlikely there will be qualification for any group stages next year.
Dermot Desmond invested in Shamrock Rovers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... %20million.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamroc ... 0in%202019.
Sure thing but old news. 2019. And a different thing. He has no input to their financial playing/operating model. Unlike Phil and Keliher and a few others. They don’t rely on his buck to stay afloat.
So he put money in the Pot?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:35 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:36 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:59 pm

Dermot Desmond invested in Shamrock Rovers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... %20million.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamroc ... 0in%202019.
Sure thing but old news. 2019. And a different thing. He has no input to their financial playing/operating model. Unlike Phil and Keliher and a few others. They don’t rely on his buck to stay afloat.
So he put money in the Pot?
Exactly. He invested and then they became sustainable building all the structures of a successful football team. The fact they now operate and don't require regular investment from their owners is just reward for implementing the business plan. The now generate significant income from Europe and player sales (both first team and accadamy) including sell on clauses. None of this happened by chance or without significant investment.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Sounds to me there is still a time bomb 💣 ticking for the LOI should any of the money men divert their finances or cease their investments altogether.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

footman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:36 pm Sounds to me there is still a time bomb 💣 ticking for the LOI should any of the money men divert their finances or cease their investments altogether.
Very little has changed.

Wages are running away out of control. There's about 6 teams all seriously dependent upon the 4 European places and and the anticipation that they will make sufficient money. Otherwise, there's still no tv deal, no government investment, facilities generally are poor, no real financial reward for teams competing in the league, and most clubs sell off their young promising players when they are 16, 17, 18... and often with very poor contractual protection for the clubs.

So yes, little has changed other than the owners having deep pockets and those lucky enough to compete in Europe having turned a good profit (names Rovers and Dundalk)

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Our wage bill this season must be huge.

I have no idea of what guys are earning, but I'd guess the likes of Hoban, Maher, O'Reilly, Dummigan, Connolly, Diallo etc are only at Derry because of big money being paid. They would have had other suitors, some more local to them.

As for Fats and Duffy, again I'm sure they are earning plenty, especially considering their return.

And I'm sure the latest arrivals from the UK are raking it in too.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:17 pm Our wage bill this season must be huge.

I have no idea of what guys are earning, but I'd guess the likes of Hoban, Maher, O'Reilly, Dummigan, Connolly, Diallo etc are only at Derry because of big money being paid. They would have had other suitors, some more local to them.

As for Fats and Duffy, again I'm sure they are earning plenty, especially considering their return.

The wage bill is mental. Which is fine if you do well in Europe...

Think we've gone all out in the hope that we win the league which improves chances of a good european run the following year. A calculated risk i'd say.

Fair to say we're 'all in' this season. Can be no complaints about the squad other than we sold McJannet and did really have a replacement.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:17 pm Our wage bill this season must be huge.

Am hearing Maher is one of the lower paid players at the Club.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:37 pm Am hearing Maher is one of the lower paid players at the Club.
He'll soon get a very healthy raise somewhere else... A lack of a new deal with increased terms suggests to me he's gone. Would be horrible if he ended up Rovers but I wouldn't be surprised

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Looking over our shoulders at Rovers now. We must not lose to them next Friday or we'll finish 3rd in a two horse race

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Should Dundalk go to the wall and have their results expunged.

https://x.com/seidodge/status/183544336 ... 4WcpQ&s=19

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Heard they have 24 hours to prove they have funds to see out season, if not they are gone. This will put us top of the league by 1 point?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

adydcfc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:12 am Heard they have 24 hours to prove they have funds to see out season, if not they are gone. This will put us top of the league by 1 point?
If they're results are removed then yes, one point ahead. Shels would have a game in hand.

It would be an awful thing for the league if it were to happen. It could happen any club unfortunately.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

It will also bring Rovers into contention again.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

If it happens Rovers are firmly back in it whilst Pats, Galway and Waterford would effectively have their season ended.

The top 4 would be decided instantly which would be a shame as it would end any remaining competitiveness from those Clubs.

It would discredit the whole league and whoever wins it (Derry, Rovers, or Shels) would be doing so under a cloud.

Hopefully a solution can be found.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Dundalk could fold today.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

TenaciousDee wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:33 am It will also bring Rovers into contention again.
They were never out of it.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

brandyball wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:10 pm Dundalk could fold today.
Deadline has been extended by another 24 hours

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Neutrino wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:15 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:10 pm Dundalk could fold today.
Deadline has been extended by another 24 hours
No Liquidation today. The FAI are giving the €500K to develop pitch and floodlighting.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/09 ... old-today/

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Are the FAI suddenly flush with money?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:35 pm Are the FAI suddenly flush with money?
Think they've already paid them money in lieu of prize money.