The Title

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
kitwe
First Team
First Team

The Title

Post by kitwe »

Rovers dropped another 2 points yesterday.
Now 10 behind us and 2 games in hand. It's all in our hands surely?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Re: The Title

Post by davybhoy »

I think this week's match is massive for us. Galway have been a very tough team for us to breakdown this year- if we win on Friday I think we'll have a great chance of winning it.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Beat galway this week would go along way for the title but still some tough games to come St Patricks and rovers but a win on Friday would be a big result the other teams we have to play are beatable

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I think it's a bit soon to bring out the "it's in our hands" line. With 4-5 games to go maybe, let's see where we are then.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Not saying we will win the league but giving a opinion one always hopeful no harm in dreaming.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It's a crazy league this year - like no team actually wants to win the thing :lol:

This summary is from Pat's fan SEI DODGE on Twitter :

1 Derry - 1 win in 4
2 Shels - No win in 4
3 Waterford - lost 4 of last 5
4 Sligo - lost last game 7-0
5 Rovers - 5 wins in last 15
6 Galway - 23 goals in 27 games
7 Pats - 1 away win
8 Bohs - worst home record
9 Drogs - conceded 50
10 Dundalk - rock bottom

We will probably never have an easier year to win the league :o

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:10 am It's a crazy league this year - like no team actually wants to win the thing :lol:

1 Derry - 1 win in 4
2 Shels - No win in 4
7 Pats - 1 away win
9 Drogs - conceded 50
10 Dundalk - rock bottom

The standard has been brutal this year. You could argue there’s more excitement as everyone is playing for something (which is great for all teams and their fans) but there’s no real stand out teams.

The stat I found interesting- we’ve beaten Waterford 4 times but are only 9 points ahead of them which tells me they have a better record than us against the other 8 teams.

Despite this I would never consider Waterford as possible title winners let alone contenders.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:10 am It's a crazy league this year - like no team actually wants to win the thing :lol:

1 Derry - 1 win in 4
2 Shels - No win in 4
7 Pats - 1 away win
9 Drogs - conceded 50
10 Dundalk - rock bottom

If it’s not creating a bad vibe I think it is anything but easy. Don’t buy into that narrative at all. Anybody that watches this league knows that. Tell Shamrock Rovers, who need the win this league to sustain their financial model and not have to dilute this year’s plunder, that’s its easy. Did you watch Shams v Drogheda and Galway? It is the toughest league I have ever experienced as a fan and I can go back to 1985, with no obvious weak teams, top coaches, champions who can field 2 teams, high fitness levels and high technical levels and good players in every team. Every point, literally, has to be fought for against teams who, have the highest of fitness levels and organisation and have made denying space an art.

That stat conveniently ignores that Derry won the previous 4 league games. 1 defeat in 8. And we gave that 1 defeat away too. In addition we had victories over Pats and Cork in the cup. To this fan it is exciting times and the race is far from run yet. Some huge games coming. Bring it on. I really hope it will be easy but don’t think it will somehow…….

RAWA.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

I don't know how anyone can say there are no weak teams in the league having watched Shelbourne.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Shelbourne drop 2 more points.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I'm reading that if Dundalk go to the wall before the end of the season, and their points are expunged, we would go to the top of the league again.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:24 pm I'm reading that if Dundalk go to the wall before the end of the season, and their points are expunged, we would go to the top of the league again.
Dundalk fans started to fundraise hoping to raise €100 k to pay wages.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:24 pm I'm reading that if Dundalk go to the wall before the end of the season, and their points are expunged, we would go to the top of the league again.
Read into it a bit more... I think someone said Shels would have 2 games in hand but I dont know how that would work with everyone nearly having played the same number of matches... Unless they have to play them before the end of the season...

I know this might sound strange but I think something was going on in the background before this season started. Dundalk just didnt start becoming whipping boys due to a couple of players leaving. They went 11 games without a win before Noel King stepped in and they finally won at the 12th attempt after Stephen O'Donnel was relieved of his managerial duties a week earlier.
King left under mysterious circumstances, insert medical reason here, and they soon appointed the recently sacked St. Pats manager Jon Daly but the trend continued with losing games, drawing a few, us included, and winning the very odd match after that.
Players can revolt if they are not happy, we've seen that up close ;)

Fair play if the 1903 can raise funds but I think its an uphill struggle they will not summit... I hope I'm wrong but long term I cant see that club surviving in the top flight for years to come... mediocrity awaits unless they can pull a couple of rich investors in and keep them afloat...

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:45 pm
Read into it a bit more... I think someone said Shels would have 2 games in hand but I dont know how that would work with everyone nearly having played the same number of matches... Unless they have to play them before the end of the season...

I know this might sound strange but I think something was going on in the background before this season started. Dundalk just didnt start becoming whipping boys due to a couple of players leaving. They went 11 games without a win before Noel King stepped in and they finally won at the 12th attempt after Stephen O'Donnel was relieved of his managerial duties a week earlier.
King left under mysterious circumstances, insert medical reason here, and they soon appointed the recently sacked St. Pats manager Jon Daly but the trend continued with losing games, drawing a few, us included, and winning the very odd match after that.

Fair play if the 1903 can raise funds but I think its an uphill struggle they will not summit... I hope I'm wrong but long term I cant see that club surviving in the top flight for years to come... mediocrity awaits unless they can pull a couple of rich investors in and keep them afloat...
Every single team in the league is kept afloat by a rich investor. That's the nature of the game.

League prize money, gate receipts, TV money and merch sales alone are not sufficient to run a club.

The biggest disappointment for Dundalk and their fans is that the previous owners ran off with their 5M european windfall. But that's the downside of welcoming an Investment Company like Peak 6 to be your owners. Double edge sword.

They also have circa 1M in debts which is likely to prove a difficult one for any new owner to absorb.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:16 pm

Every single team in the league is kept afloat by a rich investor. That's the nature of the game.

League prize money, gate receipts, TV money and merch sales alone are not sufficient to run a club.

The biggest disappointment for Dundalk and their fans is that the previous owners ran off with their 5M european windfall. But that's the downside of welcoming an Investment Company like Peak 6 to be your owners. Double edge sword.

They also have circa 1M in debts which is likely to prove a difficult one for any new owner to absorb.
Not true again. Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sligo & Drogheda are not kept afloat by rich investors.

Dundalk squandered their 5M on poor choices and bad investments. That’s after significant bonuses were paid out including a certain S Kenny reputedly having a 20% of all prize money won bonus in his contract. Pretty sure Peake6 left them in the black. They have been financially poorly managed since.

According to the press reports last week they are around 500k in debt.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Shamrock Rovers do have significant investment being put into them. 50% fan owned but the majority of the money comes from Dermot Desmond and Ray Wilson, both very wealthy men.

Rovers model might be more sustainable in the long term however given that they have focused heavily on the academy structures which has led to some high profile transfers with sell on clauses.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:54 am Shamrock Rovers do have significant investment being put into them. 50% fan owned but the majority of the money comes from Dermot Desmond and Ray Wilson, both very wealthy men.

Rovers model might be more sustainable in the long term however given that they have focused heavily on the academy structures which has led to some high profile transfers with sell on clauses.
They are on the board but I don’t think they have put anything in the pot. Shams have a financial model that has not required investment from any individual in recent years. It has been sustained by their European money’s and last year they made an operating loss of E2.37M. If they had not made the conference group stages there would have been significant cuts in their playing budget next year. Big money to be made this year but that hole (E2.37) has to be filled in and unless they win the league this year (?) highly unlikely there will be qualification for any group stages next year.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:19 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:54 am Shamrock Rovers do have significant investment being put into them. 50% fan owned but the majority of the money comes from Dermot Desmond and Ray Wilson, both very wealthy men.

They are on the board but I don’t think they have put anything in the pot. Shams have a financial model that has not required investment from any individual in recent years. It has been sustained by their European money’s and last year they made an operating loss of E2.37M. If they had not made the conference group stages there would have been significant cuts in their playing budget next year. Big money to be made this year but that hole (E2.37) has to be filled in and unless they win the league this year (?) highly unlikely there will be qualification for any group stages next year.
Dermot Desmond invested in Shamrock Rovers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... %20million.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamroc ... 0in%202019.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:59 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:19 pm

Dermot Desmond invested in Shamrock Rovers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... %20million.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamroc ... 0in%202019.
Sure thing but old news. 2019. And a different thing. He has no input to their financial playing/operating model. Unlike Phil and Keliher and a few others. They don’t rely on his buck to stay afloat.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:45 am
marcoloco wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:16 pm

Not true again. Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sligo & Drogheda are not kept afloat by rich investors.

Dundalk squandered their 5M on poor choices and bad investments. That’s after significant bonuses were paid out including a certain S Kenny reputedly having a 20% of all prize money won bonus in his contract. Pretty sure Peake6 left them in the black. They have been financially poorly managed since.

According to the press reports last week they are around 500k in debt.
Embarrassing yourself again I see... :lol: :lol:

From Irish Independent 9th Sept 2024,

The Dublin native has also confirmed that there was a delay in paying the wages of players and staff last week, as revealed by Lilywhites boss Jon Daly last Friday, but that now will be resolved in “the coming days” due to a “temporary issue”.

This evening’s statement will cause huge concern for Oriel Park staff and supporters, with the club's debt understood to be more than €1m.

The situation is all the more worrying given the fact that Daly’s side sit currently bottom of the league with seven games remaining and face a huge relegation fight in the coming weeks to avoid a drop to the First Division.

As for Shamrock Rovers...

Rovers is 50 per cent fan-owned, with the rest shared equally between Dermot Desmond, the billionaire financier, and Australia-based businessman Ray Wilson.

If you removed Desmond and Co. then they become a different entity. So the point stands - rich investors keep these clubs sustainable. Without them then you've got a non-professional league with more clubs hitting the wall.