Waterford vs Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Waterford vs Derry City Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:01 pm Don't know how we won that but at least we did. General play has to improve, being slow and playing safe won't win you the league.

Happy we won but there's so much quality in that team you'd expect so much more.

Elsewhere drogheda beat sligo 7-0🤨
The Loi is a strange league.
I hear they scored 16 goals in a week What are they trying to do wreck this league lol They also committed that horrrible horrible crime they played two up front Quote “ no team plays 2 up front now “ wonder who said that. Hmmmm probably right 😂

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

Scrappy but nose ahead. Both Shelbourne and Shamrock have games in hand but this season there’s no guarantee in collecting these points.
What’s Robertsons pedigree? If he has the industry of McMullan, who is not at the high point as earlier in the season, he may be an asset.
Wisdom steady but his fitness is my worry! Hope he can give us that confidence needed in defence.
Connolly needs a rest.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:57 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:43 pm Top of the league……… ha naysayers……
We are, at the moment. But I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet. It was another poor performance and Waterford deserved a point from that. We created little and only a freak mistake by the keeper gifted us the points.

But if you want to celebrate mediocrity, that's your call.

We are also lucky Shels have had a slight implosion of late, dropping plenty of points.
Are you allowed to dream in your world. We are closer now that we have been since 2006. I have watched some amount of poor performances and mediocrity in that period and before and listened to poor managers bluffing and spoofing. Yes how we get there doesn’t matter to me as any footballer will tell you it’s about the trophies.

The only 2 trophies available to us are still there to be won in the final quarter of the season. Tell me that at the start of the season you wouldn’t have taken top of the league & cup QF with 8 games to go?

Of course nothing is won but it’s nice to shout We Are Top Of The League. On we go.

Citytilidie

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:43 pm Top of the league……… ha naysayers……
We are, at the moment. But I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet. It was another poor performance and Waterford deserved a point from that. We created little and only a freak mistake by the keeper gifted us the points.

We are also lucky Shels have had a slight implosion of late, dropping plenty of points.
Sweet jesus christ can't even be happy we're top of the league cuz ypu reckon we played terrible. Only would you reach such nonsense on this forum hi. Who the f**k will care if we go on to win the league. You say celebrate mediocrity lol..... how about celebrate going top and not being at our best!!

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

adydcfc wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:32 am

Sweet jesus christ can't even be happy we're top of the league cuz ypu reckon we played terrible. Only would you reach such nonsense on this forum hi. Who the f**k will care if we go on to win the league. You say celebrate mediocrity lol..... how about celebrate going top and not being at our best!!

To be fair to Keyser Sore - it is only stating fact.

There is a real bad vibe on this forum at present directed at anyone who dares criticise the manager or style of football, and to be honest it is not right.

Every one one of us is a true supporter, every one one of us wants our team to win the double, every one one of us supports the players and team at all times - but every one of us is allowed an opinion.

This season while we are sitting top of the league, the performances have been very dull and uninspiring. I have been to most games this season, including every game - and I can only tell the truth in that it is hard to watch and frustrating. I see a line-up with McMullan, Duffy, Hoban, Patching, Doherty, Dummigan and O'Reilly and I get excited - but it never translates on the pitch. Hoban is getting absolutely zero service. In fact tell me, the last time, Hoban was actually presented with a created goal-scoring opportunity.

A good friend of mine last text after 60 mins sent me a text saying 'I don't feel I am watching a league winning side'. That sums it up perfectly. I just don't look nor feel this is a memorable, never to be forgotten league winning side.

The Kenny team of 2005 & 2006, didn't win the league but they felt like a championship winning team, they played with style and swagger and yes had no issue winning games 1-0 if they had to. Everyone remarks how that team should have won a league, fundamentally because they played and performed in the manner of a team who deserved to win the league.

This team doesn't play this way. If we don't win the league, very few will say 'Oh that Derry team were great and deserved to win a league at some point over the last three years' - no-one will say this. As we have not deserved to win a league. If we win the league, I think this team will not live long in the memory, and this is sad.

With the budget and constant new additions, I genuinely believe that we should be performing better. But we are not. We were winning dull games 1-0, 2 years ago and little has changed. We still play 1 up front and never change. We still try at 78 mins, to defend what we have, despite the risk of brining average teams onto us.

Make no mistake - Cork and Waterford are two very poor sides. Yes we beat them, but it was far from pretty. No shots, no goalkeeper saves, it is truly dull.

When I see the stories of how bad the academy stucture is at present (with kids leaving all over the place and the Under 20 team not being able to field) then I do get worried. When I see 6 local players sold within 5 weeks, yes I do get worried as to what follows when Project Higgins is over.

I want success for our team, and I will support the team no matter what. I will go to Galway next week and applaud the players onto the pitch and off the pitch. I have so much respect for what Maher, Coll, Dummigan, Connolly, Patching, Duffy, Doherty, Hegarty and Higgins have done for this club; but I also reserve the right to voice an opinion that it is a very hard watch at present on and off the pitch.

I would love to see my team be champions, and also love to watch them play like champions, and be regarded as the best team in the league and deserved champions - but with 8 games to go, I am not seeing it or hearing it from the people who watch this league every week.

Maybe last night could be a turning point.

But respect needs to be shown to the likes of Keyser Sore, who is only stating what a lot of genuine fans feel. I was at Cork last week and trust me, his thoughts were echoed by most of that travelling support.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Wheres the like button ;)

Well said Joe

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Greengo wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:25 pm Wheres the like button ;)

Well said Joe
Okay sure you ask Mr Higgins about his brand of football next time you have him on LOITV. Explain to him few boys on the forum are upset about the poor brand of football being played. Cant wait to see his reaction

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Believe it or not Ady I already did a while back... Just before the Drogheda game...

One of the first things I said was that fans werent happy that we were not playing 2 up front... He replied, very quickly I might add,... "fuck sake, we are the leading scorers in the league and people are still not happy"... to say he was ragin would be an understatement...

We then went onto win 5-1