Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm The problem no one has mentioned is that there’s many many more mouths to feed than initially was the case when this first was made available.

Derry & Institue alone could easily need £10m to get their respective projects over the line.

What is likely is that everyone with get a small amount with promises of ‘more to come’… etc etc
I doiubt that they'll go with the approach of giving everyone a little bit of money tbh, as that wouldn't achieve anything. Small amounts won't build anything of note for the likes of Cliftonville, Glenntoran, Coleraine or ourselvess.

I susepct they'll fund a few projects to a degree in which they can actually deliver something decent, give a few more a smaller bit of funding, and then as you said state that they're working to get more funding for everyone else.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:06 am
marcoloco wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm The problem no one has mentioned is that there’s many many more mouths to feed than initially was the case when this first was made available.

Derry & Institue alone could easily need £10m to get their respective projects over the line.

What is likely is that everyone with get a small amount with promises of ‘more to come’… etc etc
I doiubt that they'll go with the approach of giving everyone a little bit of money tbh, as that wouldn't achieve anything. Small amounts won't build anything of note for the likes of Cliftonville, Glenntoran, Coleraine or ourselvess.

I susepct they'll fund a few projects to a degree in which they can actually deliver something decent, give a few more a smaller bit of funding, and then as you said state that they're working to get more funding for everyone else.
As announced by minister Gordon Lyons a few weeks ago the money is being allocated to fund high quality projects. Derry, Coleraine, Cliftonville & Glentoran (I think was the 4th team) are those in line to get from the initial stream of funding. The minister also said he'd be working with the Executive to get more money for the project as £36m is nowhere near enough, I think one of the criteria is clubs have to be seen to be putting money into their stadium themselves (which we are doing with the new stand whenever it gets back on track). At the Derry City agm Sean Barrett said the club were given money (months previous) to put together a business case which had to be submitted by end of June & if successful hopefully money would be released in the new tax year next April. Even though the ground is council owned its the club that has to apply for it, same goes for all clubs in NI who are tenants of their local council

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Brandywell broken into and vandalised last night.

Idiots as the stadium is used by kids every single day and it just ruins it for them if they can't use the facility.

Luckily we dont have a game on this week...

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Did they tear up the pitch by any chance?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Can't believe people are joking about vandalism at The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Eamando1981

Post by Eamando1981 »

Anyone heard any updates on the progress of the new stand?

It all seems to have gone very quiet.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 79501.html

For anyone who may have a subscription to the Tele.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thank you very much Dee.

If you go here:

https://meetings.derrycityandstrabanedi ... 2215&Ver=4

You will see that a number of items relating to the pitch and the sub regional stadia application were all discussed in "confidential business" at a recent council meeting in July.

It would be fantastic if the documents could be made available. Perhaps some councillors could explain why they are happy to discuss these matters away from public view.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Contractor has been appointed.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

For the pitch or the stand?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Neutrino wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:27 pm For the pitch or the stand?
Stand.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Neutrino wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:27 pm For the pitch or the stand?
We seem to still be a long way off a decision being made on the pitch. The council have only started exploring the different options for it, and haven't engaged with all the user groups yet.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thanks v much for that. Unfortunate it can't be ready for last game of season but construction projects rarely proceed on time I guess. Will be great when it's ready and should pay for itself over time.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

McKelvey Construction good appointed for new stand construction knowing that firm well there wil
Be no messing and I'm sure it will be finished to high standard and on schedule

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Mark Patterson show covered option for replacing pitch.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/qWuzviop9sxVhEwz/

Lowest cost is £500k Highest Cost £1.5 Mill. The council has no money for any of the 6 options.
Last edited by brandyball on Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Diggers have now moved in new stand construction under way you will see concrete piling machine move in the coming days

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:31 pm Mark Patterson show covered option for replacing pitch.

Lowest cost is £500k Highest Cost £1.5 Mill. The council has no money for any of the 6 options.
The ironic thing is I'd have preferred PO'D to pay to replace the pitch than to build a new stand. He won't do both so the pitch is only going to get worse as DCC do not have the funds to replace it in the near future.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:21 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:31 pm Mark Patterson show covered option for replacing pitch.

The ironic thing is I'd have preferred PO'D to pay to replace the pitch than to build a new stand. He won't do both so the pitch is only going to get worse as DCC do not have the funds to replace it in the near future.
He might have no choice. Someone will have to pay it, and soon. If the pitch was apparently on its last legs for the 2023 season, quality-wise, then unless we fancy another season in Maginn, someone's paying for that pitch.

I'd love a layman's breakdown of the 6 options. Anybody here speak Groundsman?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:57 pm
DeeDerry1975 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:21 pm

He might have no choice. Someone will have to pay it, and soon. If the pitch was apparently on its last legs for the 2023 season, quality-wise, then unless we fancy another season in Maginn, someone's paying for that pitch.

I'd love a layman's breakdown of the 6 options. Anybody here speak Groundsman?
Over to you Steve.