Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:29 am I've said before that the Club has too many long term injured players. Football is a brutal game. 1 injury can be devastating for a career. It's also a downside of short contracts as the players are taking on all the risk and the clubs are only liable for 8 months. Hence, i'm pleased that both Jackie and Colm were under longer contracts when they experienced their respective injuries. However, Clubs can't hold onto players out of sentiment. If they are injured or recovering then maybe a move away is the best for all concerned. All i'd say is I wish any injured player a speedy recovery and the best of luck regardless of who they are playing for.
If the player(s) are fully recovered then why not get them back on the pitch. A few boys in front of Jackie in the pecking order could learn from his grit determination and fight. I know who I'd prefer in the trenches beside me.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:29 am
marcoloco wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:29 am I've said before that the Club has too many long term injured players. Football is a brutal game. 1 injury can be devastating for a career. It's also a downside of short contracts as the players are taking on all the risk and the clubs are only liable for 8 months. Hence, i'm pleased that both Jackie and Colm were under longer contracts when they experienced their respective injuries. However, Clubs can't hold onto players out of sentiment. If they are injured or recovering then maybe a move away is the best for all concerned. All i'd say is I wish any injured player a speedy recovery and the best of luck regardless of who they are playing for.
If the player(s) are fully recovered then why not get them back on the pitch. A few boys in front of Jackie in the pecking order could learn from his grit determination and fight. I know who I'd prefer in the trenches beside me.
From a player perspective it may come down to contracts. if one club is offering you another 2 years then it may be too good to turn down. He could sit it out and hope that there's a change of manager, and that the new manager wants to keep him, but that's quite a big risk especially if there's an offer from elsewhere. For me, Orielly has been our best player this season and so i can't imagine Jackie getting much game time over him. We've also signed Davenport for 18 months so I suspect that was the signal for Jackie to find another club.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:46 am
brandyball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:29 am
From a player perspective it may come down to contracts. if one club is offering you another 2 years then it may be too good to turn down. He could sit it out and hope that there's a change of manager, and that the new manager wants to keep him, but that's quite a big risk especially if there's an offer from elsewhere. For me, Orielly has been our best player this season and so i can't imagine Jackie getting much game time over him. We've also signed Davenport for 18 months so I suspect that was the signal for Jackie to find another club.
I'd say this will be O'Reillys and probably Mahers last season so if and when the new Manager takes over a new rebuild will be required.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

The silence about new signings is deafening meanwhile Bohs have made their 6th signing today.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:48 pm The silence about new signings is deafening meanwhile Bohs have made their 6th signing today.
I think that's an unfair comparison to make as the context is different at each club. They're 8th in the table, had a change of manager and have had a number of players leave.

What is worrying is the calibre of players the Dublin clubs are signing. Top LOI talent that left and have come back. Devoy and Tierney to Bohs, Burns to Rovers at the beginning of the season. These are the profile of player we don't seem to be attracting, possibly due to our geographical location.

Another problem is that the person that has a major, possibly even the final say in transfers is trying to manage a team to overturn a 2-0 deficit. I don't know how he would find time to scout and negotiate and sign players at the moment. The footballing structure of our club is a huge issue. The Dublin clubs have directors of football that carry out the roles of transfers, we don't.

Also, if Higgins was to leave at the end of the season, would we want him making signings now? It also impacts on the players that will resign. Instability at the manager position leads to poor transfer dealings.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:41 pm
brandyball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:48 pm The silence about new signings is deafening meanwhile Bohs have made their 6th signing today.
I think that's an unfair comparison to make as the context is different at each club. They're 8th in the table, had a change of manager and have had a number of players leave.

What is worrying is the calibre of players the Dublin clubs are signing. Top LOI talent that left and have come back. Devoy and Tierney to Bohs, Burns to Rovers at the beginning of the season. These are the profile of player we don't seem to be attracting, possibly due to our geographical location.

Another problem is that the person that has a major, possibly even the final say in transfers is trying to manage a team to overturn a 2-0 deficit. I don't know how he would find time to scout and negotiate and sign players at the moment. The footballing structure of our club is a huge issue. The Dublin clubs have directors of football that carry out the roles of transfers, we don't.

Also, if Higgins was to leave at the end of the season, would we want him making signings now? It also impacts on the players that will resign. Instability at the manager position leads to poor transfer dealings.
Shels have also been busy and there top. Higgins said when transfer window opened that he was working on a few deals. There was also 2 triallists on against Crues and then nothing.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Sean Patton now on trial with Portsmouth

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... W5UFtOU-LQ

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:57 pm Sean Patton now on trial with Portsmouth

Sadly this is why the standard of the league is so poor. Once a player shows any promise they are off. Wish him every success and hopefully a bumper deal for him and Derry. But until clubs can get players under decent contracts they will be off at the first opportunity.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:25 pm
brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:57 pm Sean Patton now on trial with Portsmouth

Sadly this is why the standard of the league is so poor. Once a player shows any promise they are off. Wish him every success and hopefully a bumper deal for him and Derry. But until clubs can get players under decent contracts they will be off at the first opportunity.
He's only recently signed a 3 year contract. :oops:

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

:oops: Classic……..
brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:31 pm

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

That's a positive thing for both player and club. We need to get our players under decent contracts both for their welfare and to protect the club.

If he does move on both parties are protected.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:57 pm

That's a positive thing for both player and club. We need to get our players under decent contracts both for their welfare and to protect the club.

Sure the Club had stated previously they would players on 2 or 3 year deals, signed Davenport on 18 month contract.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Sure the Club had stated previously they would players on 2 or 3 year deals, signed Davenport on 18 month contract.
I think Rovers and Derry can do not but not many others. It's one of the reasons why the league is still regarded as not professional. And the league often lose players to lower league and non league teams in England who can offer better deals.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:22 pm

I think Rovers and Derry can do not but not many others. It's one of the reasons why the league is still regarded as not professional. And the league often lose players to lower league and non league teams in England who can offer better deals.
Hopefully if Patton leaves we get a good fee so we can make a few new signings.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

The problem with other clubs is that they're signing players with release clauses that tend to be pittance. Bohs CEO Daniel Lambert a couple of years ago called for a unified stance on no release clauses as he felt the LOI clubs weren't getting the true transfer value of their top talents. The clubs really in a position to turn down a player who insist on release clauses are Derry & Rovers

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:56 pm

The problem with other clubs is that they're signing players with release clauses that tend to be pittance. Bohs CEO Daniel Lambert a couple of years ago called for a unified stance on no release clauses as he felt the LOI clubs weren't getting the true transfer value of their top talents. The clubs really in a position to turn down a player who insist on release clauses are Derry & Rovers
100%. Plus lots of the players now have agents who are advising the players and families not to sign deals as it may prevent a move across the water. So you've got a situation where agents are trying to facilitate moves to anyone (often sideway moves) when staying at their club and picking up experience can be just as, if not more, beneficial. Still lots wrong with the domestic game which really hasn't evolved in 20 or 30 odd years if we are honest.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Jackie not involved the night strange how he and Bouce abd to a lesser extent Coll. Higgins seems determined to play Kelly at all costs even to the detriment of the team balance.
Last edited by brandyball on Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Is Davenport going to get any game time?

If he can't get 15 or 20mins when we are tragic to watch, when is he going to get on?

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Probaly landed with us on a long term injury,Higgins said his clearance hadn't come through in time for Sligo match 2 magpies match since no mention of him except taking his place on sub bench , come on Higgns stop bluffing and tell us the truth we are no mugs

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Liam Mullen has extended his contract and is now going on loan to Portadown.