Derry City "V" FCB Magpies - 11-07-2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
magspat
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City "V" FCB Magpies - 11-07-2024

Post by magspat »

Ii still think Derry can do it with the tatics

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

I still think Derry can do it with right tatics

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

magspat wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:16 pm Any one else think this way Whelan who's contract is up at the end of this season ,why not start giving him more play time etc 50 or 60 mind if he holds out to end of season without any set backs hopefully not ,then you can make a decision whether to give him a new contract if he finishes season injury free ,IF his injuries continue to be a problem you don't sign him full stop, We don't want to paying some one who is going to be out injured for most of the year God knows we have enough them about the place.
Whelan has one more year left, he is back for next season

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

I think we're all still expecting us to advance... :D

RE.tickets - there's no block A or B and no terrace tickets on sale. So we've circa 2k fans willing to pay circa 25 quid for a ticket. Lifting circa 35 to 40k at the gate once you factor in concessions etc. Will be interesting to see what happens next season when we've got double the capacity or if the tickets are snapped up quicker if we do advance this season v Copenhagen.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am I think we're all still expecting us to advance... :D

RE.tickets - there's no block A or B and no terrace tickets on sale. So we've circa 2k fans willing to pay circa 25 quid for a ticket. Lifting circa 35 to 40k at the gate once you factor in concessions etc. Will be interesting to see what happens next season when we've got double the capacity or if the tickets are snapped up quicker if we do advance this season v Copenhagen.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:45 am
marcoloco wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am I think we're all still expecting us to advance... :D

Advance against Copenhagen? I"ll have a pint of whatever you're on.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Got to stay positive. It almost helps us that we are 2 nil down. Leaves the manager with no choice but to go for it. I'll go early and predict a 3-0 home win. :D

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

On the gate receipts, I notice Rovers have sold over 6k tickets at 20 Euro, but with good concessions for teenagers, students and OAPs. So running these numbers (with some assumptions) I reckon Rovers are lifting around 70k Euro for their home tie...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Higgins was brought in with a very clear target of winning the league within 3 years. He accepted that, and both him and POD talked about the 3yr target to the media. Everyone knew the score. And he was given the resources he needed to achieve it.

This year's league is the weakest it has been for well over a decade IMO. It will be criminal if we don't win it, particularly as it's a two hose race now.

If Higginns can't win the league this year then you have to question if he ever will. And he will have to be moved on, because he was given that very clear target.

Personally I would say that getting put out of Europe by a Gibraltarean team would be a sacking offence on its own. But if that nightmare scenario unfolds I guess we need to holdoutto see what Ruairidh can do over the rest of the league. But if he doesn't win that this year it is 100% time to find someone else who can. That was the deal all along.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:19 pm Higgins was brought in with a very clear target of winning the league within 3 years. He accepted that, and both him and POD talked about the 3yr target to the media. Everyone knew the score. And he was given the resources he needed to achieve it.

This year's league is the weakest it has been for well over a decade IMO. It will be criminal if we don't win it, particularly as it's a two hose race now.

If Higginns can't win the league this year then you have to question if he ever will. And he will have to be moved on, because he was given that very clear target.

Personally I would say that getting put out of Europe by a Gibraltarean team would be a sacking offence on its own. But if that nightmare scenario unfolds I guess we need to holdoutto see what Ruairidh can do over the rest of the league. But if he doesn't win that this year it is 100% time to find someone else who can. That was the deal all along.
Correct.

The shame is this was clear 3 games into the season.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:19 pm Higgins was brought in with a very clear target of winning the league within 3 years. He accepted that, and both him and POD talked about the 3yr target to the media. Everyone knew the score. And he was given the resources he needed to achieve it.

I think you need to take the "winning the league within 3 yrs" mantra with a pinch of salt. Had we won silverware in each of his three seasons, or run the league leaders close in each of his three seasons, or made advances in european competition then less would be made of the winning the league line. But as we've not delivered on any of these fronts (bar a single FAI Cup and granted this years FAI competition has yet to start) then the pressure is on. If we don't progress in Europe and beat either Pats or Shels in the weeks ahead I don't think the manager will be around at the end of the season. It's all ifs and buts just now with some massive games coming up. But what is obvious is that he needs to start winning those games otherwise he's on borrowed time.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:19 am
magspat wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:16 pm Any one else think this way Whelan who's contract is up at the end of this season ,why not start giving him more play time etc 50 or 60 mind if he holds out to end of season without any set backs hopefully not ,then you can make a decision whether to give him a new contract if he finishes season injury free ,IF his injuries continue to be a problem you don't sign him full stop, We don't want to paying some one who is going to be out injured for most of the year God knows we have enough them about the place.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

magspat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:46 pm
DeeDerry1975 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:19 am

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

You could be right but according to squad his contracts ends 2024.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

magspat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:48 pm You could be right but according to squad his contracts ends 2024.
He signed a two year contract in Nov 2022. He's out of contract at the end of this season.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

an extra 1.7 million for Rovers tonight, this defeat and letting the weakest league title of all time go will hurt.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Fair play to Rovers.

They've been well off the pace this season but that single result (over 2 legs) saves their season and gives the league a boost. Not dissimilar to our showing last year in many ways.

Hopefully both Derry and Shels can deliver this week also.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:38 pm I think you need to take the "winning the league within 3 yrs" mantra with a pinch of salt. Had we won silverware in each of his three seasons, or run the league leaders close in each of his three seasons, or made advances in european competition then less would be made of the winning the league line. But as we've not delivered on any of these fronts (bar a single FAI Cup and granted this years FAI competition has yet to start) then the pressure is on. If we don't progress in Europe and beat either Pats or Shels in the weeks ahead I don't think the manager will be around at the end of the season. It's all ifs and buts just now with some massive games coming up. But what is obvious is that he needs to start winning those games otherwise he's on borrowed time.
I disagree. Winning the league is way more important to this club than anything except possibly group stages of Europe - and probably more important than that, given it would get in way of a league challenge, and we'd have to play every feckin' game in Tallaght. Group stage would just mean money, a lot of which would be spent on travel, hiring Tallaght etc.

The length of time we've gone without a league title is unacceptable. Especially whne you look at who else has won it in the intervening years (including Drogheda and Sligo). And especially when you look at the money burned on players over the years.

Higgins was hired with a very clear target. That target was stated publicly, and repeated on a number of occasions. I don't think the club/Chairman could have been clearer on what's expected from Higgins, and what the consequemces would/should be of not achieving it. He's had 3 years and lots of money to spend. If he can't deliver the league this year, time to thank him for his service and find someone else who can.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

Please correct me if I'm wrong. DC flew out on 10th July, the day before. Magpies are here already. Preparation an issue for the result away in Gib?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

BrandywellRedMariner wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:11 pm Please correct me if I'm wrong. DC flew out on 10th July, the day before. Magpies are here already. Preparation an issue for the result away in Gib?
Think you have to be in the country 24 hours before a game.