Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

shauna wrote:And still some on here want to build bridges with that rabble, catch yourselves on.
Derry GAA have a stadium that we'd love to use now, and will almost certainly want to use at some point in the future.

There is currently no real relationship between DCFC and the GAA fraternity, locally and across the County, and seemingly quite a bit of hostility.

We can either ignore all that and then express shock, hurt and anger when they next don't support us on something we want. Or we can start now on the long process of building a positive relationship between ourselves and the GAA in the city/county.

Even leaving aside the fact we may want to use their stadium in the future, it makes no sense to not have civil relationships (or at least an absence of animosity) between major sports organisations.

Ireland is changing slowly but surely, and the GAA will change with it (more slowly, but still surely). They are what they are currently and there's no point pretending they are something different, but they will change.

Let's be a positive part of that change, rather than play hurt and cling onto past animosities. It's the right thing to do, and in our own interests too.

P.S. I'll be at the Slaughneil All-Ireland Club Football Quarter-Final this Sunday in my Derry City training top anyway. Little acorns, and all that :lol:

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

stevebradley wrote:
Derry GAA have a stadium that we'd love to use now, and will almost certainly want to use at some point in the future.

There is currently no real relationship between DCFC and the GAA fraternity, locally and across the County, and seemingly quite a bit of hostility.

We can either ignore all that and then express shock, hurt and anger when they next don't support us on something we want. Or we can start now on the long process of building a positive relationship between ourselves and the GAA in the city/county.

Even leaving aside the fact we may want to use their stadium in the future, it makes no sense to not have civil relationships (or at least an absence of animosity) between major sports organisations.

Ireland is changing slowly but surely, and the GAA will change with it (more slowly, but still surely). They are what they are currently and there's no point pretending they are something different, but they will change.

Let's be a positive part of that change, rather than play hurt and cling onto past animosities. It's the right thing to do, and in our own interests too.

P.S. I'll be at the Slaughneil All-Ireland Club Football Quarter-Final this Sunday in my Derry City training top anyway. Little acorns, and all that :lol:
I couldnt agree more with all of that, pity the club havent started doing something
or the Supporters Trust never took off, would be a perfect project to work between the two
groups.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

martinbradleey wrote:The club tried through Steelstown, but the motion was voted down at their AGM so was dead in the water at that time. Pressure from South Derry?
We need to get the media and our local politicians involved in this and publicly name and shame this steelstown club for their low life actions and expose them as the bigoted pond life that they are.

Aaron21

Post by Aaron21 »

We need to get the media and our local politicians involved in this and publicly name and shame this steelstown club for their low life actions and expose them as the bigoted pond life that they are.
Get a grip of yourself, we had no divine right to use Celtic Park and as was said above, now is the time to try to make the relationship between local GAA and the club stronger. The answer is definitely not this petty bullshit and whinging.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

shauna wrote: We need to get the media and our local politicians involved in this and publicly name and shame this steelstown club for their low life actions and expose them as the bigoted pond life that they are.
I dont understand your motivations at all?????

WHat is this meant to achieve? It is now too late to use Celtic Park for next season.
We tried and failed by the sounds of it.

It will do nothing except isolate us even more from other sporting organisations.
And I would assume that is why the club will not make any statements on the subject.
It gets us no where, except looking like idiots in the press.

chucho

Post by chucho »

It's in the public interest. The GAA gets buckets of public money. If DCFC approached a local club to propose a motion for temporary ground sharing and that motion was voted down, then the public should know.

And I've done my time in the GAA as a club treasurer and a remarkably inept reserve right corner back so I hold no grudges towards the GAA, quite the opposite.

Mr A

Post by Mr A »

The comment above about the need for a Trust is spot on.

Attacking an individual GAA club will just isolate the people who did try to help and turn them and others against you.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

I was tld by a friend who plays GAA in the republic that public funding for GAA facilities is now dependent on the use of the facilities for all the community. Time we did this up here

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

Andy Bernard wrote:I was tld by a friend who plays GAA in the republic that public funding for GAA facilities is now dependent on the use of the facilities for all the community. Time we did this up here
Thats a bit of a waffly definition, as every GAA club in the country ticks that box,
The facilities are for use by the community, that does not mean you can play footy
on the pitch though.

By the way I couldnt give a hoot about any GAA club in the country, and have nothing to do with it.
I only care about whats best for DCFC, and I still think Steve's suggestions about
building bridges is the best for us in the long term.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

The GAA will always try to run down anything they think is a threat to them. Their attitude to 'soccer' will never change so I wouldn't be arsed licking up them.

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

i nominate shauna for position of dcfc/gaa liaison officer :D

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

fish-head wrote:i nominate shauna for position of dcfc/gaa liaison officer :D
God forgive me but I would rather liaise with the devil than those gaa Neandertals

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

Fed up having to listen to this silly word congress. Who do these people think they are hiding behind a congress. What a silly title for making rules about a kickabout in a park. They are the not the United States of America. We do they need a flipping congress to decide anything they do. Too much gabbin

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

fish-head wrote:i nominate shauna for position of dcfc/gaa liaison officer :D
Thats like Teresa May giving Boris the foreign affairs job, we'd make a lot of friends. :lol:

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

shauna wrote: We need to get the media and our local politicians involved in this and publicly name and shame this steelstown club for their low life actions and expose them as the bigoted pond life that they are.
Baile Stile, or Steelestown if you prefer, have to apportion some of the blame but not all...

The three local clubs had no problem with DCFC using Celtic Park for an interim period and were in favour of a vote to "lend" them the use of the ground. Pressure mounted from the county teams in that the "soccer city" teams were allowing a foreign sport to be played at CP... At first Steelestown stood its ground while Sean Dolans & Doire Colmcille backed down and toed the party line with the rest of the county...
Fearing they would be singled out, Steelestown eventually capitulated giving a 100% vote against DCFC using the ground during 2017...

I remember playing GAA Football years ago for Dolans, Galliagh & Doire Colmcille... I also played hurling for Na Magha...
County teams looked down on any team that came from the City as an almost smear to be gracing the same field as them... When I attended St. Columbs College the county lads often joked about us "city" boys never ever grasping the real concept of playing GAA properly because we weren't from the county area so more often than enough, soccer was the game of choice...

One story that stands out from my sojourn into all things GAA was when I got the opportunity to play "soccer" in Boston USA in the summer of 1987... I was playing for Na Magha at the time...
I told the manager what I was going to the States for and he never said anything. That is until I came back and turned up for our next training session. We had a game that weekend and the team was called out at the end of training which was the norm. My name was excluded. When I asked why, the manager told me that I had found time to play "SOCCER" but he had no time for me to play hurling and let me know in no uncertain terms that I had no place in his team because I played soccer in America. I have never pucked a sliotar in anger since.

deetee55

Post by deetee55 »

Why two local sporting clubs operating within 200 yards of each other cannot even get into a proper discussion about a simple matter like this is beyond me.

I get the impression it would be easier for us to relocate to Windsor Park than to move 200 yards up the Moor.

If Celtic Park was home to a rugby club or an IFA soccer club and they treated us like this, the whole town would be crying out about the sectarian bigots who were anti Derry City. But because it's the venerable GAA we hear little or no criticism. However be in no doubt, sectarian bigots within the GAA are behind this decision!

It's time that sports and politics were separated - and before the GAA supporters start - I know it affects a lot more than just them. However when the GAA can dump their anti-English games stance for the big money in Croke Park, surely they can do it country-wide - not for money but because it's the right thing to do. Good Friday Agreement, 2016, Peace Process etc. etc.

Venkman

Post by Venkman »

Warped complex rules to obfusticate their true nature and aims, petty narrow-mindedness, exclusion and discrimination against anyone who doesn't fit their social makeup, penalties for those who associate with those they oppose (but will compromise for money), a fondness for land-grabs and stupid attire. The GAA have more in common with the Orange Order than they'd like to admit.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

deetee55 wrote:Why two local sporting clubs operating within 200 yards of each other cannot even get into a proper discussion about a simple matter like this is beyond me.

I get the impression it would be easier for us to relocate to Windsor Park than to move 200 yards up the Moor.

If Celtic Park was home to a rugby club or an IFA soccer club and they treated us like this, the whole town would be crying out about the sectarian bigots who were anti Derry City. But because it's the venerable GAA we hear little or no criticism. However be in no doubt, sectarian bigots within the GAA are behind this decision!

It's time that sports and politics were separated - and before the GAA supporters start - I know it affects a lot more than just them. However when the GAA can dump their anti-English games stance for the big money in Croke Park, surely they can do it country-wide - not for money but because it's the right thing to do. Good Friday Agreement, 2016, Peace Process etc. etc.
Watch what you say as there are a lot of gaa lovers on here, i already mentioned the fact that I believe the gaa are secterian bigots and no different from the orange order and the gaa lovers didnt like hearing the truth one bit.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

deetee55 wrote:Why two local sporting clubs operating within 200 yards of each other cannot even get into a proper discussion about a simple matter like this is beyond me.
What club play in Celtic Park?

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

https://www.facebook.com/CityofDerryRugby/?fref=ts

Interesting to see other developments from another local club.