Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Andy Bernard »

Maybe youll see what the fuss is about when we can't play European games at home Magspat

Venkman

Post by Venkman »

magspat wrote:Don't know what all the fuss is about iif we can get 3,600 fans at every home match we will doing well ,if we got a big new stand we would be lucky of it was half full anyway more concerned what will happen on the pitch new signings etc.PS I don't work for Derry Strabane council just a rate payer like everyone else.
People just don't pay rates but income tax too. What are people in Derry getting for their tax contribution?

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

What about the people from Derry who pay rates income tax who don't support sport of anykind

Iam sure they will be delighted with the opening of a new cancer centre at Altnagelvin next week as we all are more ,mportant than a big stand.

Venkman

Post by Venkman »

Nobody is interested in absolutely everything that rates revenue funds. So we can have only one of the things smaller places get. No motorway, stadium, university, jobs or transport links but lets all be grateful and forget because Derry finally got a medical facility we should have had decades ago. Bad enough to hear people from places like Belfast tell us that's all we deserve but unbelievable to hear it from Derry people.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Venkman wrote:Nobody is interested in absolutely everything that rates revenue funds. So we can have only one of the things smaller places get. No motorway, stadium, university, jobs or transport links but lets all be grateful and forget because Derry finally got a medical facility we should have had decades ago. Bad enough to hear people from places like Belfast tell us that's all we deserve but unbelievable to hear it from Derry people.
Venkman I agree 100% what your are saying but you and I know most times we don't get what we deserve.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

yef from the port wrote:But what can the club do Steve really. The club has no money to put in the pot so we have to take what we can get unfortunately. I thought it was common knowledge that we're only get a bit part of a stand for now. Good luck and fair play to everyone that turns up on Thursday. I just hope some people from the council have the manners to turn up to hear your protests.
A range of people, including but not only myself, have been saying on here for over 10yrs that the club should start putting money aside in order to have something to contribute to any stadium development. We never suggested saving up millions - but something to help cover feasibility studies, credible consultant report etc as and when needed to help give the club a case to push. And if anyone says we didn't have the money - what about the unbudgeted windfalls we got for selling players like James McClean and Paddy McCourt ?

Instead every penny we've had over the last decade has been spent on players. Every penny. Resulting in no league titles, a few FAI Cups/League Cups, a bankruptcy that nearly killed us, and our first ever demotion. And it's left us in a helpless state re our stadium future, which is why we are where we are now.

What if we'd spent the last decade or more putting at least SOMETHING aside so we weren't reduced to beggars on this ? Or what if we'd shown a bit of imagination and made the case for a much better stadium development, potentially somewhere else ?

No-one has made DCFC helpless on this issue IMO. We've happily done it to ourselves.
Last edited by stevebradley on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

cousin kev wrote:£138m public funding allocated towards stadium upgrades in NI!..

Belfast
- £28m to Windsor Park, privately owned by Linfield FC - Completed!
- £64m for Casement Park, privately owned by Antrim GAA
- £10m being held aside for Glentorans new stadium or for the development of the Oval, the rest funded from the sale of part or all their current ground
- £14.5m for Ulster Rugby's Ravenhill Stadium, privately owned by IRFU - Completed

Derry
- Celtic Park ,privately owned by Derry GAA, to be further developed if Ireland host the 2023 rugby word cup, but only if Casement Park, Belfast, is not ready.
- £6m for Brandywell Stadium, council owned and in a very poor condition with health and safety issues. Phase one to begin this month, with a new 1000 seat stand, 2 changing rooms and space for portaloos! Plans also include a 4G pitch that noone wants, and that are being torn up all over Europe due to health concerns. Consultation could begin next year for 2nd phase of project, subject to planning and availability of funds. Main stand was built in 1991 with a capacity of 2500, currently restricted to 1800 for safety reasons.

Some of these stats might not be entirely accurate, but they're not very far off the mark!

fucking provision for portaloos!!!!! I'd rather piss under the stars.
Don't forget Kev - that £6m is for the entire Showgrounds site, not just the football stadium. I would estimate somewhere between £1.5-2.5m max is going into Brandywell Stadium itself. Some to do work which should have happened years ago anyway e.g. not holding up the Southend wall with wooden beams.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Anyone on here making their way over to the protest tomorrow?

Adam Quigley

Post by Adam Quigley »

adydcfc wrote:Anyone on here making their way over to the protest tomorrow?
I'll be there.

Joe_Doherty

Post by Joe_Doherty »

adydcfc wrote:Anyone on here making their way over to the protest tomorrow?
Im in work Adrian.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

See all the council and sinn fein dick heads pictured in the derry news cutting the first sod and sean barrett stuck in the middle of them, what a plonker that man is looking so happy with council mediocrity.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

stevebradley wrote:
cousin kev wrote:£138m public funding allocated towards stadium upgrades in NI!..

Belfast
- £28m to Windsor Park, privately owned by Linfield FC - Completed!
- £64m for Casement Park, privately owned by Antrim GAA
- £10m being held aside for Glentorans new stadium or for the development of the Oval, the rest funded from the sale of part or all their current ground
- £14.5m for Ulster Rugby's Ravenhill Stadium, privately owned by IRFU - Completed

Derry
- Celtic Park ,privately owned by Derry GAA, to be further developed if Ireland host the 2023 rugby word cup, but only if Casement Park, Belfast, is not ready.
- £6m for Brandywell Stadium, council owned and in a very poor condition with health and safety issues. Phase one to begin this month, with a new 1000 seat stand, 2 changing rooms and space for portaloos! Plans also include a 4G pitch that noone wants, and that are being torn up all over Europe due to health concerns. Consultation could begin next year for 2nd phase of project, subject to planning and availability of funds. Main stand was built in 1991 with a capacity of 2500, currently restricted to 1800 for safety reasons.

Some of these stats might not be entirely accurate, but they're not very far off the mark!

fucking provision for portaloos!!!!! I'd rather piss under the stars.
Don't forget Kev - that £6m is for the entire Showgrounds site, not just the football stadium. I would estimate somewhere between £1.5-2.5m max is going into Brandywell Stadium itself. Some to do work which should have happened years ago anyway e.g. not holding up the Southend wall with wooden beams.
Steve,

I was told by a Councillor that around £5 million will be spent on the stadium with the rest of it going on moving the dog track and some other things - there should be around £7 million in total to begin with.

Application for funding for Phase 2 should be going in to Stormont around February time - I just hope the Council actually put an application in. They have failed to do this in the past when money was made available.

Burny89

Post by Burny89 »

So when/if ever phase two is built will the club have to be relocated again? Or is the relocation simply because of moving the actual pitch?

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

Burny89 wrote:So when/if ever phase two is built will the club have to be relocated again? Or is the relocation simply because of moving the actual pitch?
I'd imagine they'll be able to tack the extensions on to the end of the existing stand, so we wouldn't need to move.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Well done to the 30 or so fans who turned up to protest at the guildhall, your efforts in letting the council know our disgust at the half a stand development are appreciated by all derry fans.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

shauna wrote:Well done to the 30 or so fans who turned up to protest at the guildhall, your efforts in letting the council know our disgust at the half a stand development are appreciated by all derry fans.
I maybe wrong but there is a sound of sarcasm in that post. It's a start and we plan further protests from mailys to the brandywell on sunday. Anyone wishing to join us we'll be at mailys from 12.30 on sunday!

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

adydcfc wrote:
shauna wrote:Well done to the 30 or so fans who turned up to protest at the guildhall, your efforts in letting the council know our disgust at the half a stand development are appreciated by all derry fans.
I maybe wrong but there is a sound of sarcasm in that post. It's a start and we plan further protests from mailys to the brandywell on sunday. Anyone wishing to join us we'll be at mailys from 12.30 on sunday!
No sarcasm buddy, keep the pressure on the council until we get what was promised.

Kellz

Post by Kellz »

Fair play to the Derry News. Today's paper is well worth buying to see the P.R. Mess the Council etc. Have made of this. Not notifying the Press about yesterday's turning of the Sod nonsense then stonewalling questions. Couldn't make it up.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Our club are stonewalling the fans. I will be stonewalling the club when it comes to their requests to buy tickets and merchandise.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Andy Bernard wrote:Our club are stonewalling the fans. I will be stonewalling the club when it comes to their requests to buy tickets and merchandise.
Don't stonewall then Andy. Leave them in no doubt as to your views and intentions !