Derry City v Galway United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Galway United Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 am
footman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:51 am As the lyrics go 'I need excitement and I need it bad'

I ain't excited and by fuck it's bad.
Sums it up! :lol:
We have 1 striker and he’s sat on the bench.

Kelly & Mullan are contributing very little.

The middle of the park is lacking quality.

And the back 4 are ponderous in possession over playing it allowing the opponent to organise themselves.

It’s just dull.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:32 pm Catching analysis on Drive 105 after the game, someone said Duffy changed the game 2nd half. :shock:
Heard something along those lines. Absolute nonsense.

He got past his man a few times, but it changed little. Zero shots on target, remember that. But sure we had 70% possession.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Been to every game this season and, bar the odd burst here & there (5/10 mins either side of our goals) I have found watching us so joyless. And that includes large spells against ten man Waterford.

Last night wasn't atypical

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

I think we'd all prefer winning football than possession football that has little end product.

Expecting another bore fest on Monday against Shelbourne.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Ruaidhri's lucky he's not on social media as he's being absolutely slaughtered.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm Ruaidhri's lucky he's not on social media as he's being absolutely slaughtered.
Past experience tells me he is fully aware

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

The sad thing is we’re not an enjoyable team to watch under Higgins. Haven’t been bar the odd game. We’re predictable and it just feels that we’re running down the clock on his contact which won’t be renewed. He’ll get this season and then it’ll be a fresh start for everyone. We’ll have 6.5k tickets to sell and he’s not the man to do it.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 pm
brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm Ruaidhri's lucky he's not on social media as he's being absolutely slaughtered.
Then he sees He has the fans. He def has the money He has the players But this “football” if we can call it that is pure sterile. He’s responsible why does he not react then

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 pm
Then he sees He has the fans. He def has the money He has the players But this “football” if we can call it that is pure sterile. He’s responsible why does he not react then
He hardly has the fans TBH.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:17 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 pm Past experience tells me he is fully aware

Overv3200 last night lots to Dublin to morrow He’s not playing in front of 100s now that’s what ~I mean The fans are still there Win them over.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:36 pm
footman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:51 am As the lyrics go 'I need excitement and I need it bad'

I ain't excited and by fuck it's bad.

And the back 4 are ponderous in possession over playing it allowing the opponent to organise themselves.

It’s just dull.
Daniel Kelly hasn’t played a good game since he left bohs, he will go on to be a worse player than Matty Smith.

Mullen, dogshit, has never been a footballer.

Depressing. Almost as depressing as the thought of John Caulfield as our new manager as Greengo suggested.

I’d rather Kevin McHugh was brought back.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Marty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:37 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:36 pm

It’s just dull.
Daniel Kelly hasn’t played a good game since he left bohs, he will go on to be a worse player than Matty Smith.

Mullen, dogshit, has never been a footballer.

Depressing. Almost as depressing as the thought of John Caulfield as our new manager as Greengo suggested.

I’d rather Kevin McHugh was brought back.
Kelly was decent at Dundalk. But hasn’t looked like a footballer since joining. Mullan has shown the odd glimpse of skill but I don’t rate him as a footballer. I think whoever sanctioned a 2 yr deal for him should be identified and sent packing. We release players that are superior to the ones we sign which goes some way to explaining the drop off in quality and entertainment.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

The football hasn't been good, slow and create very few scoring opportunities. Hate the pitch at the brandywell but performances away from home on grass pitches haven't been good either.

Can't see Higgins been sacked anytime soon. Obviously we won't be competing for the league this year, think we'll finish between third and fifth.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

The football is as boring as Man Utd and the flare numb skulls.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:23 pm

Overv3200 last night lots to Dublin to morrow He’s not playing in front of 100s now that’s what ~I mean The fans are still there Win them over.
They're probably supporting the team rather than the Manager.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:55 am
Point taken but I mean I travel 6 hours I support the Club The team the players to varying degrees but still support them
I turn up so I support the manager too by my attendance I wait as 3500 others wait for a bit less boredom I hope he feels our pain and it was painful for a long time and is worse now We support him but he has an obligation to support us too Surely

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:59 pm
brandyball wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:55 am

Point taken but I mean I travel 6 hours I support the Club The team the players to varying degrees but still support them
I turn up so I support the manager too by my attendance I wait as 3500 others wait for a bit less boredom I hope he feels our pain and it was painful for a long time and is worse now We support him but he has an obligation to support us too Surely
I think he's taken us as far as he can. Another Bluffer.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

It’s obvious that he’s not winning us a league title anytime soon. If that’s his remit then yes he’s in troubled waters. The Cup Final was his high point and enjoyed a home win in Europe last season. Bar that it’s not been spectacular.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

davybhoy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 am Greengo can you honestly say Higgins is getting the most out of his squad? He spent a fortune and the football in most of his time here has been really poor. I know you do LoI TV and prob know him personally but take the blinkers off.

Fair play to Galway they deserved it.
Higgins is getting the most out of what hes got is what I'm saying. He has been hampered by injuries again this season. I do know him personally but I'm not blinkered. As you say Galway did deserve the win but suggestions of sacking the manager will put us back another 3 years.
If we got rid of him now we arent going to magically turn into Real Madrid overnight and win every game between now and the end of the season. It would take time to build what another manager wants and in that time there would be ups and downs.

Put it this way. Higgins came in and in his first season got us into 4th with a team he inherited from Decky and we were lucky enough to qualify for Europe. In his first full season in charge he got us to 2nd, got into Europe again and won an FAI cup. Last season we again got 2nd and had a decent run in Europe and only for a proven goal scorer we could have advanced further. We also gave Rovers a good run for it last year but there was still something missing.

Hes had more success with this club than previous managers in recent years is what I'm attributing it to. We could be playing better but hes playing with the hand thats dealt to him some weeks and we have to accept that we wont win every game, Hoban wont score every week and we wont pass it around the park like Barcelona all of a sudden. Getting rid of him is madness.

Maybe theres something or someone else in there that doesnt add to the feast... Hoban was not the final piece in the jigsaw lets say...

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Greengo - the football in the 4 seasons he has been in charge is absolutely dire. There has been zero change this season, even with the arrival of Hoban.

I see no progress this season to suggest we will win the league.

Nothing has improved on the pitch.

Off the pitch, medical staff and injuries too are not improving - the same players getting injured over and over again.

2 seasons ago we won 8 out of our first 10 games, two seasons later and with far money spent, are we any more closer to winning the league ? Absolutely not.