Derry City v Galway United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Galway United Match Thread

Post by Neutrino »

Absolute pish

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Way too many of these performances over the last few years. Slow and create nothing.

Rovers and shelbourne the only decent teams in the league this year.

My enthusiasm for this season has completely gone.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

If we lose on Monday, Higgins should be sacked on Tuesday.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Will never win the league with Higgins. Tactics are shocking

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Picking players that arnt good enough.

Strange team selections.

Abject performances.

Questionable tactics.

We battered Shels in the cup less than 2 yrs ago and they are in a better state than us.

Looking lost since Reynolds left us to be honest…

Need to get a grip and quickly.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Shocking performance,

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Wrong manager let go. Paddy couldn't be worse than this.

Good luck filling an extra 2800 seats in a new stand playing that muck.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Watching football is supposed to be a form of entertainment but watching Derry at the moment is incredibly boring. It's been like this for a while. I now go to the games on a Friday knowing that I won't be entertained. There's no buzz. I think that's the worst thing I can say. You could miss a match and be no worse off for it.

Lose on Monday and Higgins will be under big pressure.

Hard to see what the attacking plan is with this team. Pass around the back, Connolly switch from right to left to McJannett or Duffy.

Shane's lack of pace on show tonight. Connolly too. Totally caught out for the goal.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

nigel did you not slam me because I said ovrr 2 seasons how boring it has been
3 up v Waterford who were down to 10 I posted that a bit of entertainment would she been welcome Your reply it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon well to night was a marathon for us It was boredom at its worst
tbh i couldn’t care if we won the league or not if after 5 hours of travel we were l lifted even a bit
Higgins is boring. the tactics are boring the football doesn’t exist at present but P O Ds money is there I hope he sees what’s going on and acts before throwing more cash at a fan destroyer system

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

eugenio wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:05 am nigel did you not slam me because I said ovrr 2 seasons how boring it has been
3 up v Waterford who were down to 10 I posted that a bit of entertainment would she been welcome Your reply it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon well to night was a marathon for us It was boredom at its worst
tbh i couldn’t care if we won the league or not if after 5 hours of travel we were l lifted even a bit
Higgins is boring. the tactics are boring the football doesn’t exist at present but P O Ds money is there I hope he sees what’s going on and acts before throwing more cash at a fan destroyer system
I wouldn't say that it's been over 2 years of it though. The feeling of boredom was been a more recent feeling for me.

I also stand by my comment that a team doesn't need to over extend itself any more than it needs to when 3 nil up.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

No shots on target.

I think we'll be playing for a Euro spot this season. Nowhere near good enough, on and off the pitch, to even talk about the league.

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Higgins out

Negative player, negative manager

We were never in the running this season under his stewardship.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

i don’t know who authorises or takes coaching but A. nobody can shoot except zboyce and Hoban. B conservatively this season we have won 12 headers from Corners or set pieces ALL have seen weak off target headers or over the bar stuff This is coaching territory We should score at least 4 here I think the coaching is b based b round “Possession “ football Pllayers love this it’s easy
Off ball running ? the quick ball ? the early ball. ? the clever / killer pass ?
these thing I think just don’t feature in our “ Coaching “. if we hcoaching at all is done properly ?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Desperate performance and Galway deserved win.

Midfield non existent and team selections baffling. Resting Hoban and McJannet doesn't get played in his best position.

Play is so slow, I believe pitch is a factor in that but we know about it so it can't be used as an excuse.

McEleney has a full pre season post surgery, gets injured v Sligo, comes on against Bohs as a sub, has two weeks off and then doesn't even make the bench last night. What exactly are we doing in training?

At least on the touchline there is someone with a folder with diagrams of the pitch showing the subs how to pass the ball back to Maher.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Credit where its due... Galway deserved their victory...

They were stubborn and hard to break down. They had a game plan to frustrate Derry and it worked. They hit Derry on the counter and punished two defensive errors to grab the goal. I honestly thought Maher thought Shane had the tackle under control and stopped only for Walsh to slide the ball past him.
Our game is possession as has been already mentioned. We move the ball across the back four inviting the opposition onto us and waiting until they commit. When they dont commit, the way Galway done last night, its a Hollywood pass to try and find Duffy or Kelly and then try and bring McMullan into play. Dan Kelly has been a shadow of his former years. Danny Mullen for all his huffing and puffing doesnt seem to get into goal scoring positions and instead drops deep just to get a touch.

Knowing Derry though, we'll probably get a result on Monday night... As for Higgins out... wise up... it'll cure nothing and set us back another 3 years...

I'd take a punt on Caulfield as manager here if the seat became vacant in years to come... He's done it all before at a club with money in the past... just a thought...

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

As the lyrics go 'I need excitement and I need it bad'

I ain't excited and by fuck it's bad.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Greengo can you honestly say Higgins is getting the most out of his squad? He spent a fortune and the football in most of his time here has been really poor. I know you do LoI TV and prob know him personally but take the blinkers off.

Talking to people around us and a lot of people now think it's a chore to going to the matches and know what to expect before the match started
- can't break teams down
- diagonal balls over to Duffy all the time
- possession football with little threat - Maher and the two centre halves in the first half last must've had more touches than the outfield players.
- playing players out of position. Mcjannett is best at centre half, play him there and put Coll left back.

It's so disjointed and a hard watch most of the time. Not a shot on target last night says it all.

Fair play to Galway they deserved it.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

footman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:51 am As the lyrics go 'I need excitement and I need it bad'

I ain't excited and by fuck it's bad.
Sums it up! :lol:

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Paul Hegarty said before the game that he was looking forward to the arrival of Galway for "a proper game of football".

At any point last night did he say to his boss, or the players, "Jesus this is shite".

You can point to us finishing 2nd and having a euro run, and think it's all rosy in the garden. But if you look at it all overall, with the money we are spending 2nd is the least we should be achieving. Our wage bill must be huge, yet its been pissed away on players past their best. I'm fed up reading about "match winner" Fats, who is "one of the best players in the league". Yeah, maybe 5 years ago when he was fit and the pivot of that Dundalk team. Tell me the last match he won for us since his return? Did he even have a motm performance since his return?

How many games has Duffy destroyed the opposition defence since his return? You could count his great performances on one hand. With each passing week now you can see another team who he can't outrun. Bar a 15min spell in the 2nd half last night, that left back had him outclassed. Duffy couldn't get past him, and nearly every time cut back inside to recycle.

Don't get me started on our midfield. Next to no creativity.

If you read some of the irish football forums, you can see opposition fans say they can't believe how slow we play. How our most touches are by CBs and keeper.

Lose to Shels on Monday night and we are 11pts off the top. That for me will be the league definitely gone for another season. Can't see this team making up 11pts on anybody.

And we are pushing ahead with plans to have a 7000 stadium. Good luck filling that watching that kind of football.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Catching analysis on Drive 105 after the game, someone said Duffy changed the game 2nd half. :shock: