Shamrock Rovers v Derry City - Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Derry City - Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Take a point and get outta there! :D

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Players being asked to play out of position all over the field now. Squad stretched. Will do well to keep out a Shams second

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Deja Vous again?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:28 pm Deja Vous again?
There’s a reason they won it 4 in a row.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

How much added on? Until Rovers score.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Finished 2-2. So annoying to go 2-1 so late and still concede.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Disappointing result but it's a point we would have taken before the game. That 9 point cushion would have been lovely. Plenty of games to go...

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Waterford will be hard on Friday.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:46 pm Waterford will be hard on Friday.
I was watching this game at the same time as ours. Asamoah was lightning for them. Played some great stuff.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

It’s a good point.

We weren’t great tonight so whilst disappointing to concede late I think we got off lightly against a better side.

We need to learn to control the ball a bit better. Too often it’s kick and rush. I guess that’s not surprising considering the players we had out.

Still unbeaten.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Will be a totally different type of game too. The type that we'll be expected to break down a team that comes to frustrate. This is where Hoban earns his money

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 pm
Will be a totally different type of game too. The type that we'll be expected to break down a team that comes to frustrate. This is where Hoban earns his money
Do you think Waterford will come to defend?

They are scoring for fun so far this season.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Waterford will be looking at putting points on the board. Can’t imagine them setting up to sit deep and scrap for a point. Should be an open game with lots of chances.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

I’m not a huge fan of either manager but but this game was a smasher to watch This is what I call entertainment 94 pulsating minutes. I’m delighted esp for Shane Yes he’s my favourite So I love him playing Patching not missed at all Mc Mullan not as neat with his control but what a heart.
There’s only one wee item The boyos who get paid just to sit and analyse Derry for our opponents must have seen Doherty has great weaknesses in defending esp balls over his head and his general marking and teams are exploiting this effectively . But as an attacking player esp as a vital link to Duffy …his energy and lovely control is first class why then can he not be used there ….I’d put him over Patching and Mc Enuff even a half fit Fats def over ~Dialo the fouling machine
But that’s just a personal opinion
Re other posts this game. Two big games in a few days. Travel to a team who were rested I saw Derry play so we’ll see the stats I wasn’t sure about their challenge now I am We are in NO WAY second best to the Rovers now my opinion of course but I’d watch stuff like this forever

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:36 pm
Nige92 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 pm
Do you think Waterford will come to defend?

They are scoring for fun so far this season.
I suspect that keeping a clean sheet will be their main priority. They would have seen how effective teams could be by coming and being set defensively. As a newly promoted team, I would imagine they'd see a draw or knocking a win as a possibility. If they come to play they'll be beaten

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:46 pm Waterford will be looking at putting points on the board. Can’t imagine them setting up to sit deep and scrap for a point. Should be an open game with lots of chances.
There haven't been many games like that over the last season at the Brandywell, expecting one is a sure way to be disappointed

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:21 am
marcoloco wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:46 pm Waterford will be looking at putting points on the board. Can’t imagine them setting up to sit deep and scrap for a point. Should be an open game with lots of chances.
There haven't been many games like that over the last season at the Brandywell, expecting one is a sure way to be disappointed
Very true!

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Not sure how much it came across on tv but wind and pitch didn't help. A lot of surface water in parts.

Didn't think it was a great game but there were plenty of chances and Derry fought hard. Didn't like the formation, Maher had a go at Doherty and McJannet to a lesser extent a few times over positions and with four centre halves on at end, wasn't too surprising Rovers nicked one at end.

Didn't think Rovers were all that good.

Mullen has two goals in two sub appearances now, think he has earned a starting place on Friday, would be good to see if him and Hoban could play together up front at home.

Daniel Kelly has had a slow start. Only things I've noticed so far were handball v Pats and a dive in the box v Sligo.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Hoban has scored as many goals from 'big chances' so far this season as any forward did all of last season.

https://twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/17 ... acZ9g&s=19

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Good point away to 4 time champions, competition favourites and to some, superior team and squad. Disappointing in the end not to get all 3 and wouldn’t have been undeserved for the spirit and attitude to fight back. Another goal from super sub Danny Mullen (striker) who showed his commitment by launching his full body at the ball. Think he might deserve some more game time.

Could Maher have done better with their opener? Boyce, Doherty, McEniff, below par imo. Coll got caught for their equaliser and Kelly has been non existent so far. Can’t afford any more injuries in mid field.

Don’t think any team, other than Shams, come to the Brandywell to play open football. Waterford will look to spoil like all the others and look like they have a real threat on the counter. But again these are the games we have to find a way to win.🏆

On we go. RAWA.