Derry City vs StPats Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
DerryDerryDerry

Re: Derry City vs StPats Match Thread

Post by DerryDerryDerry »

Shocking football again, seriously what the fuck is this? New season, same old boring shite!

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Maher has been poor from the first minute.his distribution awful for some reason. Pats a superior team to be fair. Controlling the middle. Bet Jamie McGonigle will be watching this thinking it has a familiar look to it.

We can still get a draw if we can up the tempo.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Out of jail. :lol:

McMullans intro upped the tempo and we started playing like the home side.

Forrester then missed a sitter at 1-1 then we caught them on the break. Great finish from a player that I dont rate. Enjoying my humble pie. :lol:

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Pulled that one out of the bag! I do think we were the better team from the off, not that we were good. Pats offered nothing all night, got a goal (great finish) off a poor mistake.

We only got going once we went a goal down. Higgins reacted quickly. No harm to McEneff but I don't think his skills suit that #10 position. McMullan added more of a threat there. With the injuries we have, it means Patching has to play further back, losing that bit of quality up the field in the hole.

McMullan has probably earned himself a start on Monday after that performance.

Glad for Mullan to get the goal.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Glad to get the three points but performance wasn't great. We play well in five or ten minute spells but then it gets very slow again. Hopefully we can improve and play with more consistency on Monday. Beautiful dummy from mcmcullan and finish by mullen, not forgetting hoban and Duffy who had good games.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Early days but the right hand side didn't work tonight. Kelly and Boyce not on the same page yet. I wonder does Boyce offer enough in an attacking sense to create mismatches and overlaps on that side like we see on the left

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:22 pm Early days but the right hand side didn't work tonight. Kelly and Boyce not on the same page yet. I wonder does Boyce offer enough in an attacking sense to create mismatches and overlaps on that side like we see on the left
Kelly like McMullen before him is being starved of the ball as we seem obsessed with searching out Duffy even if there's 3 players around him.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Higgins agreed that we played poorly for most of the match, the subs worked and it was good to get 3 points. This season looks so much like last season, constantly playing sideways or backwards. Even a free kick just inside their half went back to the keeper, the quality of passing was poor and yeah there are only 3 games played but we need to be better. The 2nd goal showed what we are capable of moving the ball forward quickly. Let’s hope we can get into that groove from the start of games.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Think derry just about deserved it. It's frustrating to see the energy come in fits and starts. McMullan made a big difference and pleased to see that playing two up front can bring a goal.

A lot of the same problems as last year at times though. Predictable cross field balls from centre half and throw ins and free kicks that end up back with the keeper from good starting positions.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

The ball gets played back to the keeper in order to 'reset' the play, to keep possession, rather than playing a low percentage ball forward. Frustrating at times but the aim to to keep the ball and attempt to create a new opportunity... Creating the oppertunites is the hard part

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:20 am The ball gets played back to the keeper in order to 'reset' the play, to keep possession, rather than playing a low percentage ball forward. Frustrating at times but the aim to to keep the ball and attempt to create a new opportunity... Creating the oppertunites is the hard part
Ah, "recycling".

Coaches prefer to keep the ball, rather than take a chance and chip it forward or into the box where it might become a 50/50 chance of you giving away possession.

It's everywhere now. Even gaelic football too, that's why that sport is dying as a spectacle too.

Fans would probably prefer taking the chance, but modern coaches will never do that. There's one thing for sure, it makes for a tough watch. It's obvious from listening to fans on the terraces that they are getting frustrated watching it. It's not entertaining, but we reach that discussion about entertaining or winning. I know which option all managers prefer. They don't care what we think of the spectacle.

But when you aren't entertaining or winning, that's when it becomes an issue. We got off the hook last night.

It also ties in with the debate about the stadium extension. Fans are crying out for an 8000 seat stadium, but there's no way we'll sell 8000 tickets every home game serving up that rubbish we played in the first half.
Last edited by Keyser Soze on Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

And another thing, these imaginary injuries to Maher have to stop. It's pathetic to watch.

If you can't coach a team without having to resort to that most games, then you need to look at yourself as a coach/manager.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Thought Hoban Connolly and Duffy had good games. The 2 Scottish lads changed it and showed the quality they have.

Mullen’s goal was as good as you will see all season. Taking the ball with 2 or 3 Pats players around him. Not taking the easy pass backwards but spinning and putting Duffy away. Duffy’s pick out McMullan’s deft dummy and Mullen, having shrugged off attempts to drag him back got into the right place to provide a composed and clinical finish.

Keating took his chance well but we put him in and Pats created only one other chance in the game. They are dour and narrow and despite a number of under par performances from us we were and are a better side.

It’s 7 from 9. Far from perfect but not bad either. Bring on the shams…..

RAWA

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:03 pm Maher has been poor from the first minute.his distribution awful for some reason. Pats a superior team to be fair. Controlling the middle. Bet Jamie McGonigle will be watching this thinking it has a familiar look to it.

The thing is that McGonigle wouldn’t have scored either of the two goals last night and we would have left the Brandywell with another 1-0 defeat. But we didn’t because we replaced him with better players.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

McGonigle definitely doesn't score the header, that's for sure.

As most have pointed out, our play was too cautious before going one down. Passes sideways, backwards and I just thought 'here we go again'. Did either side test the opposing keeper in the first half? I don't have a single note from the first half on my sheets.

Paul McMullan was magical. Last week (as I previously mentioned) I felt he went missing and didn't get involved in the attack. Last night he came on and turned the game linking the middle of the park to the front line. As for Danny Mullen, people will talk about the strike and the dummy but his pass to Duffy to get the move started, from my angle, was divine. Back to Mokendi's point about McGonigle, do I think Jamie would have been in that position? Averages would say he'd have went to the front post or would have been positioned a few yards forward. Mullen timed it brilliantly and a great finish. Tougher test on Monday. Let's hope we can get something from Tallaght.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:20 am
marcoloco wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:03 pm Maher has been poor from the first minute.his distribution awful for some reason. Pats a superior team to be fair. Controlling the middle. Bet Jamie McGonigle will be watching this thinking it has a familiar look to it.

The thing is that McGonigle wouldn’t have scored either of the two goals last night and we would have left the Brandywell with another 1-0 defeat. But we didn’t because we replaced him with better players.
For 70 mins Hoban was starved of service. That’s the point I was making. Hoban is the best striker in Ireland so it’s not a comparison. He can create things out of nothing like with the corner. and like I told you before we can’t win a league without Hoban remaining fit. That’s why you need more than one striker otherwise it’s a gamble.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 amand like I told you before we can’t win a league without Hoban remaining fit. That’s why you need more than one striker otherwise it’s a gamble.
If he keeps going at this rate, he'll be suspended soon. Three yellows in three games, that is Diallo territory.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 am
marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 amand like I told you before we can’t win a league without Hoban remaining fit. That’s why you need more than one striker otherwise it’s a gamble.
If he keeps going at this rate, he'll be suspended soon. Three yellows in three games, that is Diallo territory.
Did he get a yellow for manhandling Forrester during our in-game tactical time out!? :lol:

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 am
mokendismucker wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:20 am

For 70 mins Hoban was starved of service. That’s the point I was making. Hoban is the best striker in Ireland so it’s not a comparison. He can create things out of nothing like with the corner. and like I told you before we can’t win a league without Hoban remaining fit. That’s why you need more than one striker otherwise it’s a gamble.
Absolutely but Hoban didn’t create his goal. It was the quality of Patching’s cross (service). What did Danny Mullen (striker) do with the winner then. He started the move out of nothing, receiving turning and putting Duffy in and finishing. Danny Mullen (striker) won the game last night. Out of nothing.