2024 Season Predictions and Expectations

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Nige92
Manager
Manager

2024 Season Predictions and Expectations

Post by Nige92 »

Well folks, less than a week to go before the season kicks off and each Friday night becomes a source of pain or joy! How do people feel this season will go? Will this be the year we finally secure the trophy or will Rovers make it 5 in a row?

Personally, I can't see past Shams winning it again this season. Undoubtedly they have the best squad and the best manager. I can't imagine they give teams the head start they did last year. I feel they will have it wrapped up with a few weeks in hand.

That leaves us with a 2nd placed finish yet again. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, if you can't win it, finish as close as you can. I hope that this year brings more goals and more excitement. With Hoban in, I feel we have a forward that will get 15 goals for us. I suspect we'll create plenty of chances for him. A lot will depend on the availability of key players i.e. Fats/Duffy/Dummigan/Hoban. History suggests Fats will miss a good portion of the season. If we manage to keep fit, we can challenge but I think that's a big if.

For me, I think a 2nd place, a cup final and progression in Europe would be a good season. I would like to enjoy what I see on the field, even if it doesn't end with trophies.

It's hard to see the rest of the league putting up much of a challenge either with most teams having gotten weaker. Pats and Shels to be the main contenders for 2nd/3rd positions along with ourselves.

1) Shams
2) Derry
3) Shels
4) Pats
5) Dundalk
6) Waterford
7) Bohs
8) Galway
9) Drogheda
10) Sligo

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2024 Season Predictions and Expectations

Post by johnm »

Derry’s best chance of winning the league was last year when Shamrock were faltering early on but nobody had a consistency to get a lead that could have allowed them to break rovers grip on the league.
The league this year is going to be difficult to build a good run with so many teams having substantial backers and squads.
I expect Galway to feature in the top half and along with Waterford to do damage to all those above and below them.
The league should be nail biting and entertaining even if we don't win the league.
Rovers will struggle to develop a winning run and will be dependent on the rest to help them out.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. Galway
5. Dundalk
6. Waterford
7. Shelbourne
8. Bohemians
9. Sligo Rovers
10. Drogheda

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Galway & Waterford will certainly raise the bar.

Imo I don’t think Rovers are any stronger. They have lost their goal keeper and only really added Burns & McEniff neither of whom did anything of significance in the past 12 months. They have quite a few players now in their 30’s and a transition is coming. Will obviously be formidable and consistent.

A lot of talk about Pats moving up as their main challengers but not me. They will be more conservative in their play and approach than traditionally. They have lost a number of players from last season which is why they have had to be so active in the market. Kavanagh extra large and small were Derry fringe players and that was in a season when we carried a lot of injuries.

I expect Shels to be in and around in for most of the season but they will have Europe to contend with which as we know can shift your focus and deplete your playing resources. They have made a few more progressive signings and are looking that cutting edge to give them more 1-0s. Now sure if they will have enough quality but will be dour and awkward.

Dundalk look weaker initially anyway and may grow into it as the season progresses. Bohs don’t appear to be any stronger.

Bar Diallo pre season appears to have gone well injury wise. With the addition of the two Scottish lads, Todd, Kelly & Hoban from the starting squad last year imo we have a stronger squad. We will need a big season from Micky Duffy, a fit Fats and Connolly, Maher making points winning saves, and of course the Hobaniser scoring goals. We need to start well, finisher stronger, avoid the May/June collapse and stay league focused during any European run. But we have some of the best players in this league who know what’s needed and then some more. And now a double league winner and treble winner in the dug out. We have to played with an intensity and desire week in week out. I think it’s going to be a tough but exciting season and with a little luck can see us get over the line. RAWA.

1. Derry
2. Rovers
3. Pats
4. Shels
5. Bohs
6. Galway
7. Dundalk
8. Sligo
9. Waterford
10. Drogheda

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

A fit Hoban, Duffy, Fats and Connolly are key to our title charge this season. I think our squad is good enough to win it:

Derry
Shamrock Rovers
St Pats
Sherbourne
Galway
Dundalk
Bohs
Sligo
Drogheda
Waterford

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Here goes...

1. Rovers
2. Pats
3. Derry (Only because our home form is brutal and we seem to collect more injuries because of the plastic pitch)

A cup run is essential after last years limp home loss to Pats. European advancement through the preliminaries is necessary too. We've got the players capable of doing it and they've got the track record so hoping for some big results.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I've no idea if we'll be any closer to winning the league this year, and probably won't until after the first round of games.

What I do know is that this is Year 3 of the 3-year plan agreed between the Chaurman and Higgins. So this is the year Higgins has to deliver a league title. If he doesn't, presumably he'll be moved on.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:09 pm I've no idea if we'll be any closer to winning the league this year, and probably won't until after the first round of games.

What I do know is that this is Year 3 of the 3-year plan agreed between the Chaurman and Higgins. So this is the year Higgins has to deliver a league title. If he doesn't, presumably he'll be moved on.
Not necessarily. Success is more than a league title. A sustained challenge, a cup and bettering last year's European run would be success in my mind and would not warrant a change. I think people are raving mad if they seriously think we can overtake Rovers having started bottom of the league within 3 seasons.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:26 pm
stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:09 pm I've no idea if we'll be any closer to winning the league this year, and probably won't until after the first round of games.

Not necessarily. Success is more than a league title. A sustained challenge, a cup and bettering last year's European run would be success in my mind and would not warrant a change. I think people are raving mad if they seriously think we can overtake Rovers having started bottom of the league within 3 seasons.
Did Ruadhri not say that when he was first given the job?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:30 pm

Did Ruadhri not say that when he was first given the job?
Im sure he set targets and goals. He needs to be positive and nothing wrong with that. But then there's the harsh reality that Rovers are streets ahead and the chasing pack have still a fair bit of ground to make up.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Unfortunately I'd have to say I think 2nd spot will be the best league position we will get this season.

But I really hope I'm wrong.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

I'm expecting Derry to be second again but I would like Higgins to take the handbrake off the team by letting them express themselves and go at teams. If we run rovers close by playing some good attacking football I'd be happy enough as don't think we'll have enough to win it.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Success is delivering what you've been specifically hired to deliver. In Higgins' case, that's a league title.

He was clearly told that that was what was expected form him within 3yrs. Time for him to deliver on that expectation.

Would need to be one hell of a non league-winning season to make up for not meeting the obective a manager has been given. e.g. European group stage qualification.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:52 pm He was clearly told that that was what was expected form him within 3yrs. Time for him to deliver on that expectation.
It was a target, not a blood oath. If POD wants to take the black-and-white approach to it and let him go for not winning the league - despite Ruaidhri having taken over the club bottom of the table, into Europe and then two successive second place finishes, a cup win and a good Euro run....in his first managerial job - that's his call. But I don't think POD is that stupid either. Ruaidhri is our most successful manager since Stephen Kenny. The club has tried lots of different options since Kenny and none have got us close to a league win, until Ruaidhri. You can argue style of play and the patient build-up but two 2nd place finishes in a league with a truly relentless Shamrock Rovers, is a good job. As long as we challenge again until the end, POD should keep backing him.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

PauliAlonso wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:23 am
stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:52 pm He was clearly told that that was what was expected form him within 3yrs. Time for him to deliver on that expectation.
It was a target, not a blood oath. If POD wants to take the black-and-white approach to it and let him go for not winning the league - despite Ruaidhri having taken over the club bottom of the table, into Europe and then two successive second place finishes, a cup win and a good Euro run....in his first managerial job - that's his call. But I don't think POD is that stupid either. Ruaidhri is our most successful manager since Stephen Kenny. The club has tried lots of different options since Kenny and none have got us close to a league win, until Ruaidhri. You can argue style of play and the patient build-up but two 2nd place finishes in a league with a truly relentless Shamrock Rovers, is a good job. As long as we challenge again until the end, POD should keep backing him.
Out of curiousity - if we didn't win the league this year, do you think Higgins would still win it for us at some future stage ?

Also - don't forget that Higgins has had one of the highest budgets in the league to work with (probably at least the 2nd highest?). And POD was very clear in the media that he expected a title win within 3yrs. Targets are there to be hit.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

A massive item that seems to be overlooked We have lots of players who sign when injured Wevhave important players who get injured a lot If eg Hoban and Duffy were to get injured early doors the Euphoria might melt quickly

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:07 pm
PauliAlonso wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:23 am
Out of curiousity - if we didn't win the league this year, do you think Higgins would still win it for us at some future stage ?
I do. But of course it depends on HOW we don't win the league. If we finish 6th, then no, obviously. But if it's 2nd place again and we've improved on last year (GD, points tally etc..) then I'd let him continue. I don't think there are that many candidates out there where we could say "yeah, this is the guy". Paddy McL has only done IL, other LOI managers have done OK under certain circumstances but there's nobody (except SK) where I'd expect an instant improvement. Plus, bring in someone new and do you restart the three year cycle again? To bring in a new manager is to start from zero, albeit with a good base. If we don't win it this year, then it would just need more fine tuning again from RH.
stevebradley wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:07 pm And POD was very clear in the media that he expected a title win within 3yrs.
Maybe I remember it differently, but I thought he said something along the lines of "I reckon we could win one league in those three years", which is very different to "Win one in three years" - a hope, rather than an expectation.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

If we finish second but play the same the type of football as last year then questions will need to be asked of Higgins. The performances last season were not good enough IMO. We have the players but Higgins needs to let them have a go at teams and turn those draws into wins. If we don't finish at least second it will be classified as a bad season based on expectations and having the second highest budget in the league, hence questions will need to be asked.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Fats hinted at a recognition for a need to play the ball forward quicker this season when interviewed for the LOI Central podcast.

Keep our best players fit and we'll win the league.
Last edited by Neutrino on Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

eugenio wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:00 pm A massive item that seems to be overlooked We have lots of players who sign when injured Wevhave important players who get injured a lot If eg Hoban and Duffy were to get injured early doors the Euphoria might melt quickly
I think Hoban is the player we can least afford to get injured this season. And perhaps Maher.

Let's hope we get better luck with injuries this season.

nial9

Post by nial9 »

Its been 1997 since we won the League and some folk on here are saying not this year. So what about 2027 or later. A large investment has been made in this squad and its time to deliver. No excuses: no drivel: no rigmarole: get on with it. The long suffering and patient fans expect nothing less than the Title this year.