Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Re: Squad 2024

Post by PauliAlonso »

I'm glad we didn't get Gaffney. Really hope it's Hoban.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Diallo offered new deal.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:16 pm Diallo offered new deal.
Great - has a few cards but a class act. Some find him irritating but even Maher has his detractors.😀

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:18 pm Could Galway afford him?

He'd be looking for big wages.
The Comer Brothers are Galway's owners, they are billionaires. They will definitely push the boat out if he gives an indication he would be interested.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:43 pm
barry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:48 pm Lads Akintunde has 1 goal, 2 assists and 10 appearances for Bohs this season. Hardly title winning credentials.
He's also 1 game away from another medal.

To win a title you need a solid squad. Different players offering different things. We lost out in that hold up play when he left and he chipped in with the a goals too.
This was a ridiculous statement at the time considering Aki didn't contribute very much to the cup run. He's now finished 6th, no Cup medal and still 1 goal and 2 assists. I stand by my opinion having Aki in the team wouldn't have brought us a league medal.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

barry wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:38 am
barry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:48 pm Lads Akintunde has 1 goal, 2 assists and 10 appearances for Bohs this season. Hardly title winning credentials.

To win a title you need a solid squad. Different players offering different things. We lost out in that hold up play when he left and he chipped in with the a goals too.
This was a ridiculous statement at the time considering Aki didn't contribute very much to the cup run. He's now finished 6th, no Cup medal and still 1 goal and 2 assists. I stand by my opinion having Aki in the team wouldn't have brought us a league medal.
👍

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:26 pm
barry wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:38 am

👍
Which bit do you disagree with?

No one is saying Aki is going to deliver league titles. But you can't deny we lost something when he departed.

Reality is we've been awful up front this season. So would you ship out all the under performing front players from this year too? Duffy, Whelan, Mullan, McGonigle...

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

The reality is that we were poor in patches this season as a team and not just up front. We weren’t ‘awful up front’ in Europe. We weren’t ‘awful’ up front in games that we scored 3 against Dundalk 2 against Rovers 3 against Drogheda 2 against Bohs 3 against Pats……

For some of us it was about the tempo that we played at and the speed or lack of it that we passed and moved the ball.

Jamie was particularly disappointing and didn’t look interested a lot of the time but I don’t remember him missing too many sitters. In another injury hit season Duffy scored scored 6 or 7 goals with 6 or 7 assists. Mullen scored 3 goals in half a dozen odd starts with no pre season. Whelan scored twice in approx 1 hours football. Kavanagh looked out of his depth and is gone. Jamie could follow.

Without moaning about it we all have a good idea about what we are missing and it ain’t Acki.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:12 pm The reality is that we were poor in patches this season as a team and not just up front. We weren’t ‘awful up front’ in Europe. We weren’t ‘awful’ up front in games that we scored 3 against Dundalk 2 against Rovers 3 against Drogheda 2 against Bohs 3 against Pats……

For some of us it was about the tempo that we played at and the speed or lack of it that we passed and moved the ball.

Jamie was particularly disappointing and didn’t look interested a lot of the time but I don’t remember him missing too many sitters. In another injury hit season Duffy scored scored 6 or 7 goals with 6 or 7 assists. Mullen scored 3 goals in half a dozen odd starts with no pre season. Whelan scored twice in approx 1 hours football. Kavanagh looked out of his depth and is gone. Jamie could follow.

Without moaning about it we all have a good idea about what we are missing and it ain’t Acki.
We played 40 odd games. Agree we did come 2nd so there were occasions when we scored a few goals. But the reality is we struggled for a striker all season.

Blaming injuries just sounds like excuses to me. Injuries are part and parcel of the game. But if you're waiting for all your top players to be 100% fit and firing then you'll be in for a long wait. It wont happen.

The reality is that some of our top earners are consistently injured or recovering from injury whilst others are not up to it no matter how many pre seasons they have.

Agree that Aki is not going to deliver 20 goals per season nor make the difference in a title winning side. But his hold up play is something that was non-existent this season. I'd still take Aki over Mullan every day of the week who only looked comfortable when playing UCD.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Marco great post re injuries . Lost in all of that were some v v interesting facts no 1 the great back 4 were superb all year yet look at who we had Boyce magnificent Shane ditto Connelly ditto Mc Jannet captain ditto Doherty Coll brillant then Dunnican 8 of the best in LOI. Rem how superb Coll was at Right Back when called up .
In Midfield O Reilly Patching Fats Kavanagh Dialo Dunnican again so again all excellent players so injuries didn’t hurt there .up front Duffy Whelan Kavanagh McMullan Mullan Kavanagh again. Apart from Whelan injuries didn’t bite except perhaps the worry always over Duffy So I don’t see where injuries hurt us in this back line I thought every one was as good as the other The only star player above all others was our keeper who thank God was never injured So let’s nail this now

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Marco great post re injuries . Lost in all of that were some v v interesting facts no 1 the great back 4 were superb all year yet look at who we had Boyce magnificent Shane ditto Connelly ditto Mc Jannet captain ditto Doherty Coll brillant then Dunnican 8 of the best in LOI. Rem how superb Coll was at Right Back when called up .
In Midfield O Reilly Patching Fats Kavanagh Dialo Dunnican Mc Gonigle again so again all excellent players so injuries didn’t hurt there .up front Duffy Whelan Kavanagh McMullan Mullan Kavanagh again. Apart from Whelan injuries didn’t bite except perhaps the worry always over Duffy So I don’t see where injuries hurt us in this back line I thought every one was as good as the other The only star player above all others was our keeper who thank God was never injured So let’s nail this now

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Evan McLaughlin seems to be leaving.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derry-spo ... -city.html

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Daniel Kelly has left Dundalk and is widely expected to join us.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:37 pm Evan McLaughlin seems to be leaving.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derry-spo ... -city.html
Really surprised that we didn't utilise Evan more. Obviously there's reasons but he's undoubtedly an excellent prospect if fit.

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Two year deal for Daniel Kelly

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Paul_C wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 am Two year deal for Daniel Kelly
https://www.derrycityfc.net/2023/11/wel ... IsLmXUv0Cw

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Paul_C wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 am Two year deal for Daniel Kelly
Another quality signing. Keep them coming Ruaidhri. RAWA.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Brandon Kavanagh confirmed by St Pats

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Cian Kavanagh gone to St Pats too.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Diallo has signed for another two years according to Gary Ferry.