Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
da-gama
First Team
First Team

Re: Squad 2024

Post by da-gama »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:17 pm
da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:19 pm Reynolds on the way back?

We're better than this.
Better than what? He moved closer to home for personal reasons which are well documented. Now has the opportunity to return. We get a highly regarded coach who wants to be at the club.
Better than hiring a guy who walked out on us when we were going through a crucial stage of the season.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:29 pm
da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:19 pm Reynolds on the way back?

We're better than this.
Better than what? He moved closer to home for personal reasons which are well documented. Now has the opportunity to return. We get a highly regarded coach who wants to be at the club.
Better than hiring a guy who walked out on us when we were going through a crucial stage of the season.
Strange post. You know why he left, right?

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Neutrino wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:31 pm

Why is it strange? Am I wrong in what I said?

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 pm

Strange because I'd say anyone would have made the same decision in the same circumstances and he said at the time it was the hardest decision of his career.

I'm happy to have him back. We'll be a much better team with him there.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Neutrino wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:38 pm
da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 pm

Strange because I'd say anyone would have made the same decision in the same circumstances and he said at the time it was the hardest decision of his career.

I'm happy to have him back. We'll be a much better team with him there.
I bet it was. None of my business what his circumstances were but, if you want to touch on that, our manager was going through a bad time himself when he was left without an assistant.

Much better? Than a lot of the performances with him as assistant last time? Let's hope so

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

His mother was dying and he moved to Waterford to be with her. Shortly after she passed. You can't hold that against him, no matter what your feelings or relationships may be with Paddy McLaughlin.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:53 pm His mother was dying and he moved to Waterford to be with her. Shortly after she passed. You can't hold that against him, no matter what your feelings or relationships may be with Paddy McLaughlin.
There's no need to get personal about me, nor Reynolds. It's a forum, and he has some supporters here, fair enough. But we all don't have to be

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

da-gama wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:18 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:53 pm His mother was dying and he moved to Waterford to be with her. Shortly after she passed. You can't hold that against him, no matter what your feelings or relationships may be with Paddy McLaughlin.
There's no need to get personal about me, nor Reynolds. It's a forum, and he has some supporters here, fair enough. But we all don't have to be
I think you will find you are the one being personal about Reynolds, not me.

I wasn't getting personal about you, I was being general regarding how we shouldn't hold Reynolds in ill will for looking after his dying mother.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Jack LeMoignan signed permanent deal with The Welders.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Boys what baffles me is
1 I’m not a party to what goes on in club and certainly not in the dressing rooms
2 People seem to think Rennie was a guru
3 If he was responsible for some of the signings then he has earned my respect. With no qualms
4 Paddy. I don’t know anything so I can’t comment
But even with Rennie there were we not v boring and predictable ?maybe not ? But that is what I remember most of this last season
But I’ll give everyone my support but tbh how do you give an Assistant support unless you are party to onside workings As I said Paddy was a mystery figure to me

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Eugenio I agree the football was still brutal when he was there so not too sure what influence he had over the tactics - as they certainly didn't change when he left.

He would've played a big part in Maher and a few of the other u21 Ireland players we got on loan.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I wouldn't be expecting us to be playing sexy football once he returns, let's put it that way. We didn't when he was here before.

Perhaps he might be able to convince RH to let the players express themselves a little bit more this season, take a few more risks.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

I appreciate these two replies A lot has been stirred up by news of RENNIES return I know I was told he was good at signings etc Great esp Maher :D
Paddy I’m so vague about I go to see Cville a lot . He WAS and i IS still v respected a lot there , but what was his Role ar Derry I don’t really know. All I do know is POD is bankrolling us hugely and seems to let the manager have a free hand and that’s great … but if it also gives the manager a huge amount of treedom . AND FREEDOM HIS A PRICE
Look it’s a new season. If we win something. OR In my case get a lovely Euro draw eg ( somewhere that I’ve actually heard of ) lol lol :D :D and be a BIT MORE. exciting going forward then the long journeys each Friday will be worth it and I’ll give credit where it’s due. But big bucks produces big expectations and the manager has to accept that as part of the package MAYBE Rennievcan help shoulder that load maybe Paddy :roll: couldn’t
So I’ll give it a fair whack anyhowv

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

eugenio wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:09 am I appreciate these two replies A lot has been stirred up by news of RENNIES return I know I was told he was good at signings etc Great esp Maher :D
Paddy I’m so vague about I go to see Cville a lot . He WAS and i IS still v respected a lot there , but what was his Role ar Derry I don’t really know. All I do know is POD is bankrolling us hugely and seems to let the manager have a free hand and that’s great … but if it also gives the manager a huge amount of treedom . AND FREEDOM HIS A PRICE
Look it’s a new season. If we win something. OR In my case get a lovely Euro draw eg ( somewhere that I’ve actually heard of ) lol lol :D :D and be a BIT MORE. exciting going forward then the long journeys each Friday will be worth it and I’ll give credit where it’s due. But big bucks produces big expectations and the manager has to accept that as part of the package MAYBE Rennievcan help shoulder that load maybe Paddy :roll: couldn’t
So I’ll give it a fair whack anyhowv
Of the same mind. Have to give them a chance. Rovers took a while to settle last season giving hopes to others but a lost opportunity. This season promises to one of the most open with the likes of Galway and Waterford not there just to make up numbers.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I think we probably have the best XI and best squad in the league. That should bode well for the league. However, the two concerns I would have would be our inability to keep players free from lengthy injuries and the manager's conservatism.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:22 pm I think we probably have the best XI and best squad in the league. That should bode well for the league. However, the two concerns I would have would be our inability to keep players free from lengthy injuries and the manager's conservatism.
The best? Rovers have signed Aaron McEneff. There's no way Rovers will be as weak as they were last season. Everyone will need to up their game if they are serious about the title.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

rodgers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:22 pm I think we probably have the best XI and best squad in the league. That should bode well for the league. However, the two concerns I would have would be our inability to keep players free from lengthy injuries and the manager's conservatism.
I don't agree- Rovers have the better squad and have added more quality over the break although Mannus will be a big miss for them.

I agree with your two concerns especially regarding the managers conservatism as no point in having good players if you don't let them express themselves or play one dimensional.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Out of interest what is our best XI?

Assuming a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 and everyone fit i think the back 5 would be Maher, Boyce, Connolly, McJannet, Doherty and a front 3 of Duffy, Hoban and McMullen. But i'm struggling to pick the midfield 3.

Franco

Post by Franco »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm
The best? Rovers have signed Aaron McEneff. There's no way Rovers will be as weak as they were last season. Everyone will need to up their game if they are serious about the title.
Am I alone in thinking Aaron Mceneff is overated? Decent player but disappears in games. No better than what we have already imo. He hasn't had a good time last few at Hearts and Perth, suffering from injury a few times. Be interesting to see how he goes at Rovers this year.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Franco wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:06 pm
marcoloco wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm
Am I alone in thinking Aaron Mceneff is overated? Decent player but disappears in games. No better than what we have already imo. He hasn't had a good time last few at Hearts and Perth, suffering from injury a few times. Be interesting to see how he goes at Rovers this year.
I would rather he was lining up for us and not against us if that helps?