Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by mokendismucker »

So if the Hoban deal goes through you have swapped out Jamie for one of, if not, the top striker in the LOI in the last 10 years who is a record goal scorer, a multiple trophy winner, a leader on the pitch, with extensive European experience, for between £10-15k.

For me that’s a good deal……

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:10 pm So if the Hoban deal goes through you have swapped out Jamie for one of, if not, the top striker in the LOI in the last 10 years who is a record goal scorer, a multiple trophy winner, a leader on the pitch, with extensive European experience, for between £10-15k.

A good deal would be having them both. :lol:

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:10 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:10 pm So if the Hoban deal goes through you have swapped out Jamie for one of, if not, the top striker in the LOI in the last 10 years who is a record goal scorer, a multiple trophy winner, a leader on the pitch, with extensive European experience, for between £10-15k.

You obviously haven’t been watching Jamie for the past 12 months.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:50 pm

Too easy to blame the player. He can't score if he's sat on the bench. Need to look at the system he's asked to play in or question why the Manager favours playing an extra defender or midfielder. Jamie will thrive under a dynamic manager willing to play on the front foot. We play a more conservative game, committing only one 1 up front. A tough shift for anyone regardless of ability.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:10 pm A good deal would be having them both. :lol:
Credit where it's due, I did chuckle at this.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:23 pm

Too easy to blame the player. He can't score if he's sat on the bench. Need to look at the system he's asked to play in or question why the Manager favours playing an extra defender or midfielder. Jamie will thrive under a dynamic manager willing to play on the front foot. We play a more conservative game, committing only one 1 up front. A tough shift for anyone regardless of ability.
Jamie’s stats for 22/23. 24 appearances 5 goals. 4 of the goals against the bottom 4 teams. Zero assists. Contributed little to the general play and looked disinterested. Value for money? Having a laugh……

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 pm

Jamie’s stats for 22/23. 24 appearances 5 goals. 4 of the goals against the bottom 4 teams. Zero assists. Contributed little to the general play and looked disinterested. Value for money? Having a laugh……
And of the 24 appearances how many did were starts? About 12. No surprise he looked disinterested. Clearly something wasn't right there but to always blame the player is an easy option. Need to question why the manager isn't getting the best out of him. Isn't that's a managers job afterall?

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:08 am

And of the 24 appearances how many did were starts? About 12. No surprise he looked disinterested. Clearly something wasn't right there but to always blame the player is an easy option. Need to question why the manager isn't getting the best out of him. Isn't that's a managers job afterall?
He had less goals per minute and assists per minute than Danny Mullen. Zero assists. Zero. And you consistently snip at Mullen as being of a lower standard. McGonigle May well score goals in the Irish league but that may be his standard. We will see.

Blaming the manager for an individual underperforming, in the context of professional football, Is ridiculous. You know nothing of underlying circumstances or issues that were going on. Yet think it’s an opportunity to snip at the manager.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:08 am
marcoloco wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:08 am

He had less goals per minute and assists per minute than Danny Mullen. Zero assists. Zero. And you consistently snip at Mullen as being of a lower standard. McGonigle May well score goals in the Irish league but that may be his standard. We will see.

Blaming the manager for an individual underperforming, in the context of professional football, Is ridiculous. You know nothing of underlying circumstances or issues that were going on. Yet think it’s an opportunity to snip at the manager.
I question the Mullan signing absolutely. We brought him in on a 2 yr deal and he looked miles off and failed to make an impression. Take away his goals v a relegated UCD and it's a bit concerning. We're told he lacks fitness and we'll see a different player this season. That may be so and if true I will change my opinion. But for now based on his performances I remain to be convinced. We needed a striker to help us push on and Mullan did not provide that.

Also this idea of snipping at the Manager as you put it. I think he's conservative in his approach and the football can be a bit sterile at times. With our squad and lack of goals at home I do feel we are under performing in that respect. I'd like to see a more positive approach especially in those home games. That's the height of it. Nothing personal, not calling for him to leave. No, just want to see him set his teams up a bit more attacking and take a few more risks. Is that really that bad?

Maybe you're happy with the home form. The lack of goals. Each to their own.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Welcome aboard Patrick.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Ruaidhri says thats the transfer business completed.

nial9

Post by nial9 »

brandyball wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:52 pm Ruaidhri says thats the transfer business completed.
If this is true then 2024 will be another year without winning the league. This current squad are short of players who make a difference. So its 2nd or 3rd again. And the pundits and Bookies agree. I hope they are wrong but we have been making the same mistakes for a quarter of a century !

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

nial9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:02 am
brandyball wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:52 pm Ruaidhri says thats the transfer business completed.
If this is true then 2024 will be another year without winning the league. This current squad are short of players who make a difference. So its 2nd or 3rd again. And the pundits and Bookies agree. I hope they are wrong but we have been making the same mistakes for a quarter of a century !

If you think that then I don’t know who you have been watching over the last quarter of a century. What exactly are the mistakes we have been making because I am sure RH and everyone else would like to know? Who would you swop out and add in?

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

We have good strength in depth

Gk- Maher / Ryan

Rb - Boyce/ Dummigan

RCB - Connolly/ Shane

LCB - McJannett/ todd

LB - Doherty / coll

DCMF - Diallo/ Fats / Jackie

ACMF - McEneff/ O'Reilly/ Patching

Wingers - Duffy / McMullan / Kelly

Strikers - Hoban/ Mullan / Whelan

daniel

Post by daniel »

Serious doom and gloom from Derry fans is crazy.People getting worried about a lack of signings, we had the best defence in the league last season. Our issue was not scoring enough from the chances we created, Hoban should solve that issue. Not sure what people where expecting us to do, in terms of transfers this year.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

daniel wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:13 pm Serious doom and gloom from Derry fans is crazy.People getting worried about a lack of signings, we had the best defence in the league last season. Our issue was not scoring enough from the chances we created, Hoban should solve that issue. Not sure what people where expecting us to do, in terms of transfers this year.
Agreed...and if we can avoid the lengthy injuries to key players this season that we had last year, we'll be there or thereabouts.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

So Maher staying then

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Despite the rumours it appears so.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

barry wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:18 pm We have good strength in depth

Gk- Maher / Ryan

Rb - Boyce/ Dummigan

RCB - Connolly/ Shane

LCB - McJannett/ todd

LB - Doherty / coll

DCMF - Diallo/ Fats / Jackie

ACMF - McEneff/ O'Reilly/ Patching

Wingers - Duffy / McMullan / Kelly

Strikers - Hoban/ Mullan / Whelan
Don't think we'll be seeing Whelan this year at all, and maybe not Jackie either?