Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by mokendismucker »

Evan is a midfielder who can play wide. These are Derry’s midfield & wide players.

Or were you just having a go at Danny Mullan?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Diallo and Evan do not play, never have and never will, in the same position... nor will half of the others mentioned.

As for Danny Mullan. I think he's a squad player that doesn't solve any of our shortcomings.

nial9

Post by nial9 »

Neutrino wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:32 am
Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:55 am Any rumours of players coming in? It's all gone a bit quiet recently. Keating would have been a good signing, he's signing for Pats from Cork.
According to quotes from Higgins in the Derry News, there'll be a maximum.of 2 more in the door
If this is true then that will be 27 years before we win League title. The current bunch just not up to it. Any wonder the Bookies have made Rovers odds on to win it again in 2024. Extremely disappointing. But then again we have been making the same mistakes for years. Whats that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome !!!

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

nial9 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:42 am
Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:55 am Any rumours of players coming in? It's all gone a bit quiet recently. Keating would have been a good signing, he's signing for Pats from Cork.
According to quotes from Higgins in the Derry News, there'll be a maximum.of 2 more in the door
If this is true then that will be 27 years before we win League title. The current bunch just not up to it. Any wonder the Bookies have made Rovers odds on to win it again in 2024. Extremely disappointing. But then again we have been making the same mistakes for years. Whats that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome !!!
Injuries to key players have played a major part over the last 2 seasons. Players out for extended periods of time. If we can keep players fit and sign someone who can stick the ball in the net we'll push Rovers harder next season.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Neutrino wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 am
nial9 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:42 am

Injuries to key players have played a major part over the last 2 seasons. Players out for extended periods of time. If we can keep players fit and sign someone who can stick the ball in the net we'll push Rovers harder next season.
Fats is a player that will struggle to get through another season without injury and set backs. O'Reilly has has 2 x ACLs. Duffy has not looked the same threat since his leg break. Harkin another one with consecuititive serious injuries. If we are relying on these lads to make the difference then it's a very risky strategy. I'd say these players are luxury players. Enjoy them when you have them but don't rely on them due to their injuries. We also need 1 or 2 strikers. Hoban the obvious one that would make an instant impact and maybe another younger player ready to step up and support. If im being greedy we need a playmaker as without Fats we often run out of ideas.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

So this is were I often wonder what matches people have been watching. O’Reilly played 28 league games last season and was only out for suspension and minor injury. Did he do his ACL? If he did he has long recovered. Patching is our player maker. Fats when he plays plays at the base in front of the back 4 alongside Diallo or Dummigan. We have 3 strikers on the books already. Jamie, Mullan and Whelan. Hoban would make 4. Does any club anywhere carry 5 strikers…….

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:18 pm So this is were I often wonder what matches people have been watching. O’Reilly played 28 league games last season and was only out for suspension and minor injury. Did he do his ACL? If he did he has long recovered. Patching is our player maker. Fats when he plays plays at the base in front of the back 4 alongside Diallo or Dummigan. We have 3 strikers on the books already. Jamie, Mullan and Whelan. Hoban would make 4. Does any club anywhere carry 5 strikers…….
Apologies I meant Whelan - he has had 2 serious ACLs and can't be relied upon. Mullan isn't a striker. Not at this level. Things not looking good for Whelan's career if we are being honest. Jamie is the only recognised striker at the club that is regulary available for selection and is up to the task. Hence the need for reinforcements. Can't do anything with 1 striker that the Manager doesn't fancy.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:01 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:18 pm So this is were I often wonder what matches people have been watching. O’Reilly played 28 league games last season and was only out for suspension and minor injury. Did he do his ACL? If he did he has long recovered. Patching is our player maker. Fats when he plays plays at the base in front of the back 4 alongside Diallo or Dummigan. We have 3 strikers on the books already. Jamie, Mullan and Whelan. Hoban would make 4. Does any club anywhere carry 5 strikers…….
Apologies I meant Whelan - he has had 2 serious ACLs and can't be relied upon. Mullan isn't a striker. Not at this level. Things not looking good for Whelan's career if we are being honest. Jamie is the only recognised striker at the club that is regulary available for selection and is up to the task. Hence the need for reinforcements. Can't do anything with 1 striker that the Manager doesn't fancy.
The problem with McGonigle now is that he is on a really long contract and will be hard to shift.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Neutrino wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:12 pm
The problem with McGonigle now is that he is on a really long contract and will be hard to shift.
He's still the best striker at the club. There's obviously more to it as he's been left on the bench several times last season and the manager has thrown on defenders instead of him... even when we were chasing the game. I'm guessing the manager doesn't fancy him and is hoping that he'll move on.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Hmmm. This is exactly what I mean. Think you will find Danny Mullen is a centre forward. Centre forwards in most people’s language are Strikers. You might also find that he has scored goals in the Scottish Premier league. As a centre forward. A league above the level of our league. As for Whelan there have been no pronouncements on him that I have heard. Unless you know different l’ll not write him off just yet.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Hmmm. This is exactly what I mean. Think you will find Danny Mullen is a centre forward. Centre forwards in most people’s language are Strikers. You might also find that he has scored goals in the Scottish Premier league. As a centre forward. A league above the level of our league. As for Whelan there have been no pronouncements on him that I have heard. Unless you know different l’ll not write him off just yet.
Danny Mullan is a Derry City Squad Player. A CF likely to be used off the bench or when playing lower league teams. If we're starting DM in big games then we'll struggle again. Whelan is a class player but sadly blighted by injury. As I said before we can't rely on a player that has had 2 x ACLs on the same knee. If we can keep him fit and manage his progress then great, but even then he's not going to be back playing to his peak. Hence, why we need a proper experienced CF if we have aspirations to improve on last season.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:54 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:33 pm

Danny Mullan is a Derry City Squad Player. A CF likely to be used off the bench or when playing lower league teams. If we're starting DM in big games then we'll struggle again. Whelan is a class player but sadly blighted by injury. As I said before we can't rely on a player that has had 2 x ACLs on the same knee. If we can keep him fit and manage his progress then great, but even then he's not going to be back playing to his peak. Hence, why we need a proper experienced CF if we have aspirations to improve on last season.
We use to have a class player with a dodgy knee that didn’t was strapped up and gave us years of quality football and goals. If Whelan comes anywhere near to that with a dodgy knee, then we’re on a winner. Danny Mullan will pay dividends if he’s at full fitness.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

paul60 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:56 am [quote=marcoloco post_id=279134 time=<a href="tel:1703177671">1703177671</a> user_id=2294]
[quote=mokendismucker post_id=279133 time=<a href="tel:1703169192">1703169192</a> user_id=473]
[quote=marcoloco post_id=279126 time=<a href="tel:1703160077">1703160077</a> user_id=2294]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We use to have a class player with a dodgy knee that was strapped up and gave us years of quality football and goals. If Whelan comes anywhere near to that with a dodgy knee, then we’re on a winner. Danny Mullan will pay dividends if he’s at full fitness.
[/quote]

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Anyone know if Whelan is fit for start of season gone very quiet on that one.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

magspat wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:11 pm Anyone know if Whelan is fit for start of season gone very quiet on that one.
I very much doubt he'll be anywhere near playing early in the season. Its an injury that takes a year to come back from, and considering its his 2nd, I don't think we should be counting on him this season.

But I really hope he gets back playing again, whether it's for us or not. Lad doesn't deserve such bad luck.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Agree

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

paul60 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:59 am
paul60 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:56 am [quote=marcoloco post_id=279134 time=<a href="tel:1703177671">1703177671</a> user_id=2294]
[quote=mokendismucker post_id=279133 time=<a href="tel:1703169192">1703169192</a> user_id=473]
[quote=marcoloco post_id=279126 time=<a href="tel:1703160077">1703160077</a> user_id=2294]

[/quote]

We use to have a class player with a dodgy knee that was strapped up and gave us years of quality football and goals. If Whelan comes anywhere near to that with a dodgy knee, then we’re on a winner. Danny Mullan will pay dividends if he’s at full fitness.
[/quote]
[/quote]

More chance of Liam Coyle making an impact. People need to get real. We have some obvious shortcomings that need addressed. And the current attacking options at the Club, for a multitude of reasons, don't offer us any chance of winning the title. We need better players to win the league or make an impact in Europe. Simple as that.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

So no news of any incomings?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Higgins is consistent in his message that we don't need to add much...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sund ... 94416.html

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:46 pm Higgins is consistent in his message that we don't need to add much...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sund ... 94416.html
That article is suggesting Dundalk want McEneff included in any deal for Hoban