Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by Keyser Soze »

Franco wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:06 pm
marcoloco wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm
rodgers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:22 pm I think we probably have the best XI and best squad in the league. That should bode well for the league. However, the two concerns I would have would be our inability to keep players free from lengthy injuries and the manager's conservatism.
The best? Rovers have signed Aaron McEneff. There's no way Rovers will be as weak as they were last season. Everyone will need to up their game if they are serious about the title.
Am I alone in thinking Aaron Mceneff is overated? Decent player but disappears in games. No better than what we have already imo. He hasn't had a good time last few at Hearts and Perth, suffering from injury a few times. Be interesting to see how he goes at Rovers this year.
I always thought he was a very good player.

I think it's bad news for us to hear of his return. He and Jack Byrne formed a great partnership last time.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:10 am Without a club but training with AFC Wimbledon

A move for Curtis on a 6 month deal would make sense for both parties. Him to regain his match fitness before his next step and to give us cover & options in attack.
Apparently signed for Wimbledon yesterday

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I am not sure why Mokendi's post disappeared but he made valid points regarding McEneff's form since leaving the league, being on the bench in Perth and the league's standards. When you look at the Rovers midfield personnel in full (Watts, Byrne, O’Neill, Towell, Poom, darragh burns and Nugent), that’s not before farrugia, Burke and the odd time they throw Sean kavanagh on in there so where does he start? I get they rotate often but do you see him making more than 10 starts in the league this year when he is up against that line up?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:11 am I am not sure why Mokendi's post disappeared but he made valid points regarding McEneff's form since leaving the league, being on the bench in Perth and the league's standards. When you look at the Rovers midfield personnel in full (Watts, Byrne, O’Neill, Towell, Poom, darragh burns and Nugent), that’s not before farrugia, Burke and the odd time they throw Sean kavanagh on in there so where does he start? I get they rotate often but do you see him making more than 10 starts in the league this year when he is up against that line up?
That's some midfield they have. Darragh Burns is another great bit of business for them. Derry's midfield is not as good as that- although Dummigan IMO is prob one of the best players in the league.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

davybhoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:34 am
TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:11 am I am not sure why Mokendi's post disappeared but he made valid points regarding McEneff's form since leaving the league, being on the bench in Perth and the league's standards. When you look at the Rovers midfield personnel in full (Watts, Byrne, O’Neill, Towell, Poom, darragh burns and Nugent), that’s not before farrugia, Burke and the odd time they throw Sean kavanagh on in there so where does he start? I get they rotate often but do you see him making more than 10 starts in the league this year when he is up against that line up?
That's some midfield they have. Darragh Burns is another great bit of business for them. Derry's midfield is not as good as that- although Dummigan IMO is prob one of the best players in the league.
They have a squad that contains internationals and guys that have played at a higher level outside of Ireland. I'm a Derry fan but i'm not blind or stupid. They have a fantastic squad of players to choose from and its superior to any other team in the league. Not too over reliant on a single player though Byrne obviously pulls the strings for them.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:50 pm
They have a squad that contains internationals and guys that have played at a higher level outside of Ireland. I'm a Derry fan but i'm not blind or stupid. They have a fantastic squad of players to choose from and its superior to any other team in the league. Not too over reliant on a single player though Byrne obviously pulls the strings for them.
Depends what you call a higher level. Daragh Burns is still a kid and hasn’t been blazing a trail since he left Pats which is why he is back. McEniff couldn’t make it at Hearts and has only played 14 90 minute games since he left Shams 2 years ago. Don’t think Watts O’Neill or Nugent have played anywhere much other than LoI. Poom played in the Estonian league. Is that a higher level? Towell played lower leagues in England??

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:08 pm

Depends what you call a higher level. Daragh Burns is still a kid and hasn’t been blazing a trail since he left Pats which is why he is back. McEniff couldn’t make it at Hearts and has only played 14 90 minute games since he left Shams 2 years ago. Don’t think Watts O’Neill or Nugent have played anywhere much other than LoI. Poom played in the Estonian league. Is that a higher level? Towell played lower leagues in England??
Lopes - International with Cape Verde and in the last 16 of the ACON
Daniel Cleary - Dundalk and St Jonstone
Byrne - Fringes of Ireland set up, handful of caps and has played in Greece
Burke - Preston North End
McNeff - Hearts
Poom - Estonia International
Gaffney - Bristol Rovers

These lads are the ones i know about. I'm sure there's a few more that I don't. Between them there's decent amount of international and european experience in there. More so than any other team in Ireland.

But aye - if you think that's not a higher level than our lads has tasted then fair enough.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:07 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:08 pm

McNeff - Hearts
Gaffney - Bristol Rovers

These lads are the ones i know about. I'm sure there's a few more that I don't. Between them there's decent amount of international and european experience in there. More so than any other team in Ireland.

But aye - if you think that's not a higher level than our lads has tasted then fair enough.
Jeez this has turned into a thread about Rover:s aquad.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

[/quote]

McNeff - Hearts
Gaffney - Bristol Rovers

[/quote]

You are right I don’t. We have a collection of players who have played in the UK at various levels including Mark Connolly, Mc Jannett, Dummigan, Patrick McEleney, Hoban, Mullen, McMullan, O’Reilly, Diallo and Duffy. Big Shane has played in Canada. Patching is from the Man City academy.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

We can't even compete with Sligo Rovers FFS.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:35 pm Depends what you call a higher level. Daragh Burns is still a kid and hasn’t been blazing a trail since he left Pats which is why he is back. McEniff couldn’t make it at Hearts and has only played 14 90 minute games since he left Shams 2 years ago. Don’t think Watts O’Neill or Nugent have played anywhere much other than LoI. Poom played in the Estonian league. Is that a higher level? Towell played lower leagues in England??
McNeff - Hearts
Gaffney - Bristol Rovers

[/quote]

You are right I don’t. We have a collection of players who have played in the UK at various levels including Mark Connolly, Mc Jannett, Dummigan, Patrick McEleney, Hoban, Mullen, McMullan, O’Reilly, Diallo and Duffy. Big Shane has played in Canada. Patching is from the Man City academy.
[/quote]

That proves it then. :lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Ben Doherty close to a move to Leyton Orient

https://www.facebook.com/groups/derryci ... 534913824/

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I wouldn't be quick to trust that account. I have checked Twitter for mentions of Ben and Orient and since that post went up last night, no-one, not even Leyton Orient fans, is talking about it.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm I wouldn't be quick to trust that account. I have checked Twitter for mentions of Ben and Orient and since that post went up last night, no-one, not even Leyton Orient fans, is talking about it.
Don't believe all you read Eh?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

If you also see a rumour about Nathan Sheppard, that is also not true. The tweet that started that rumour was an attempt by someone (who will remain nameless) to wind up Gerry Malone.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:49 am Concrete offer made for Maher

https://twitter.com/derryjournal/status ... RvAKA&s=19
William Street had this story 2 weeks ago. Just didn’t have the club involved. Hope he stays and finishes the job……

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

And Nathan Shepherd has left our feeder club…….

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:58 pm
brandyball wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:49 am Concrete offer made for Maher

https://twitter.com/derryjournal/status ... RvAKA&s=19
William Street had this story 2 weeks ago. Just didn’t have the club involved. Hope he stays and finishes the job……
The Street family must feel rightly proud of their William's efforts here :ugeek:

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Daithi McCallion to Ballymena United until the Summer

https://www.derrycityfc.net/2024/02/dai ... loan-move/