Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Re: Squad 2024

Post by TenaciousDee »

I hope Shane McEleney has been offered a deal for next year. When he initially signed back I raised an eyebrow believing he would only be a back up option, but for me he was a contender for Player of the Year. Rarely got the credit he deserved, Shane was our most consistent and reliable performer this year. I think he has deserved the chance of staying.

I love Ciaran Coll, always a 7/10 performer on a bad day. He played Centre Back, Right Back and his natural position of left back and rarely put a foot wrong. If he wants first squad football he may choose not to renew, which I think would be disappointing.

I mentioned before Brandon Kavanagh has changed my opinion of him. Last year he was played on the wing and was easily played off the ball when running on the outside (on his weaker foot). Through the middle he looked like the player he was at Rovers 2nds and at Bray. Six goals in all comps and at least 6 assists too. He offers a better attacking option than what we have through the middle and if given a chance could improve on his form since getting back in the team around May/June.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Do Derry use any data analysis techniques when assessing player performance, mistakes etc etc?

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:36 am I hope Shane McEleney has been offered a deal for next year. When he initially signed back I raised an eyebrow believing he would only be a back up option, but for me he was a contender for Player of the Year. Rarely got the credit he deserved, Shane was our most consistent and reliable performer this year. I think he has deserved the chance of staying.

I love Ciaran Coll, always a 7/10 performer on a bad day. He played Centre Back, Right Back and his natural position of left back and rarely put a foot wrong. If he wants first squad football he may choose not to renew, which I think would be disappointing.

I mentioned before Brandon Kavanagh has changed my opinion of him. Last year he was played on the wing and was easily played off the ball when running on the outside (on his weaker foot). Through the middle he looked like the player he was at Rovers 2nds and at Bray. Six goals in all comps and at least 6 assists too. He offers a better attacking option than what we have through the middle and if given a chance could improve on his form since getting back in the team around May/June.
Can’t argue with any of this and from what I have heard (on William Street) both Shane and Coll will re-sign. Brandon Kavanagh has easily been the most improved player in our squad. I hope he isn’t eased out. Cian Kavanagh is gone and apparently Diallo and Derry are a distance apart in contract negotiations. While Fats gave us another glimpse of some of what we have missed on Friday night for me Dummigan has also been a huge miss in the middle. Fit he would be my first name on the team sheet in that anchor role.

Some great centre forward rumours doing the rounds……

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:09 pm Do Derry use any data analysis techniques when assessing player performance, mistakes etc etc?
On Match Night Seamus McCallion sits at the back of the Mark Farren Stand with an iPad reading through the data he is collecting during the game. You should have seen the army of staff reading the data for Pat's this season. Alan Matthews was leading it but he was surrounded by about five others on Friday, with people calling up and leaving throughout.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:50 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:09 pm Do Derry use any data analysis techniques when assessing player performance, mistakes etc etc?
On Match Night Seamus McCallion sits at the back of the Mark Farren Stand with an iPad reading through the data he is collecting during the game. You should have seen the army of staff reading the data for Pat's this season. Alan Matthews was leading it but he was surrounded by about five others on Friday, with people calling up and leaving throughout.
Interesting observation.

We've only the one fixed camera point in the Brandywell. The new stand offers a chance for a second directly behind the goal and at an elevated position. I'm talking less about in-game analysis and more post game analysis to help review past games, player performances, strengths and weaknesses etc.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Really!! Tell me a club that doesn’t in this day and age?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:59 pm I'm talking less about in-game analysis and more post game analysis to help review past games, player performances, strengths and weaknesses etc.
When Conor Loughery did the job there was a day leading up to a game he did a presentation on the opposition to the squad, I assume that continues under Garry Boyle. Our own games I think the squad watch and the management analyse parts of our own games to focus on during training in preparation for a game.

nial9

Post by nial9 »

We should keep Maher, Dummigan, Boyce, McMullan, Whelan, McJannett, O'Reilly, Patching, Coll, Doherty, Todd,Barr, McCay,Kavanagh B. Let all the others go. We cannot carry players with long term injuries or who are not up to it if we are to win this league after more than 26 years. And we need players who will go to places like Drogheda and Sligo and perform. We could start with Gaffney and Power from S . Rovers.

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

nial9 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:22 pm We should keep Maher, Dummigan, Boyce, McMullan, Whelan, McJannett, O'Reilly, Patching, Coll, Doherty, Todd,Barr, McCay,Kavanagh B. Let all the others go. We cannot carry players with long term injuries or who are not up to it if we are to win this league after more than 26 years. And we need players who will go to places like Drogheda and Sligo and perform. We could start with Gaffney and Power from S . Rovers.
Simon Power? He has made 9 appearances (2 of those 9 in the Leinster Senior Cup) since signing For Rovers in July 2022 mostly to do with the fact that he has been injured for most of his time there
Duffy had an amazing injury record at Dundalk, hardly missed a game, he has been very unlucky with us to be honest, played over 40 games every season he was there.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

nial9 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:22 pm We should keep Maher, Dummigan, Boyce, McMullan, Whelan, McJannett, O'Reilly, Patching, Coll, Doherty, Todd,Barr, McCay,Kavanagh B. Let all the others go. We cannot carry players with long term injuries or who are not up to it if we are to win this league after more than 26 years. And we need players who will go to places like Drogheda and Sligo and perform. We could start with Gaffney and Power from S . Rovers.
Erm Whelan has had 2 long term injuries ;)

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Boyce, Connolly and both McEleneys not to remain? I find that very surprising.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

I believe they're all under contract anyway except perhaps Shane.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Coll and Jackie resigned on 1yr deals

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Cian Kavanagh has left club.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Gaffney signs a one year contract with Rovers.

That probably leaves us Hoban to be aiming for in terms of free agents ?

What about Afolabi at Bohs (not a free agent btw) ?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Anyone know the timeframe for Collie Whelan to come back. His ACL injury reoccurred at the start of June

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

davybhoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:42 pm Anyone know the timeframe for Collie Whelan to come back. His ACL injury reoccurred at the start of June
Wish him a speedy recovery but would hate to pin our hopes on him. Consecutive injuries will play havoc with his body. Can’t see him maintaining his fitness long term.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:39 pm Gaffney signs a one year contract with Rovers.

That probably leaves us Hoban to be aiming for in terms of free agents ?

What about Afolabi at Bohs (not a free agent btw) ?
Getting Hoban, a player with a point to prove, would be an excellent signing. Galway will appeal to him but Derry can offer him Europe and a crack at another Title. Let’s hope we make a move and he chooses us.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Could Galway afford him?

He'd be looking for big wages.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

At 32 he’ll want a 2 yr contract. Galway have spent big in the past and look the real deal both on and off the pitch. There’s no fee involved so wages are the only outlay. Maybe he’ll delay a return to his hometown club for another while yet.