Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Last game of the season for us and a good crowd is expected. Here is the link for tickets https://www.derrycityfc.net/tickets-min/

I commented a few weeks back on Twitter that despite all the talk of Duff/Doherty being touted by pundits to be Manager of the Year, it is scandalous that Jon Daly hasn't been part of the conversation. Cup run aside, Daly has Daly has managed 21 league games since taking the post up and has won 13, drawn three and lost five. To put that in perspective if the league restarted on the day he started, Pat's would now be two points behind Rovers, with a better goal difference.

After running Rovers close all season it would be a huge shame for us to finish third. We have had a number of confidence knocking setbacks from the cup exit, Rovers draw and the UECL defeat but a good result would cap the season off on a high note.

Post your match predictions, team news and reactions here. If you can't make it to the Brandywell the game is live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

Post by mokendismucker »

Anyone know if there are any tickets around? Have an unplanned guest arriving.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I fear a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:52 pm I fear a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.
Depends how bad St Pats want 2nd place.

They've a Cup Final to think about so do they want to risk injury or suspension now?

What are the actual benefits of finishing 2nd? £5k or something ridiculous like that?

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

The benefit for us is the prestige of 2nd place and of course we 'owe them one' for the cup match!
Also, with Europe and 2nd place it would put a whole different gloss on the year.
For a moment I'm putting aside my disappointment at all our near 'misses' where we could have excelled.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

kitwe wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:46 pm The benefit for us is the prestige of 2nd place and of course we 'owe them one' for the cup match!
Also, with Europe and 2nd place it would put a whole different gloss on the year.
For a moment I'm putting aside my disappointment at all our near 'misses' where we could have excelled.
So no difference then other than a few quid in prize money.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

kitwe wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:46 pm Also, with Europe and 2nd place it would put a whole different gloss on the year.
Paper over the cracks you mean?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:13 pm What are the actual benefits of finishing 2nd? £5k or something ridiculous like that?
2nd = €70,000
3rd = €45,000

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Keyser Soze, just trying to be positive and fully aware of our shortcomings. We haven't had a striker for several years but we have a good defensive record.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Yeah, on a positive note, we have a great defence.

Hopefully Pats will have one eye on the cup final next week, and not risk too much tomorrow night.

Hopefully we can finish the season on a high with a good performance. My worry is that we only need a point.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Easy enough win, some nice goals and play but not sure how much can be taken from it. Thought Patching had some great touches.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

The first half was the best I had seen City play at home all year. 75% possession in that 45 and they always looked threatening. Brandon Kavanagh was superb, Ben Doherty and Paul McMullan delivered some excellent passes. Will Patching scored another cracker and by half time we could have been 4 up.

Poor Micheal Duffy will want to forget that miss in the second half. Reminded me of Stephen Parkhouse's miss against Salthill Devon in 2010. The chance looked harder to miss.

Second half the we eased on the press and Pat's got a bit more of the ball and had two shots hit at Maher, otherwise they didn't threaten. Clearly had one eye on next week. Jay McClelland was probably their standout last night with Forrester uncharacteristically uninfluenced and Curtis, for all the plaudits he received, misplaced a shocking amount of passes in the game. No doubt they will romp it next week.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Decent end to the season in a game we always expected to win comfortably.

Pats didn’t run themselves into the ground or pick up serious injuries. They have a much bigger game on their mind and will be pleased to get home unscathed.

Glad the season is over. Will watch with interest how they evolve the squad for next season.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Last long drive home and the difference. …. we talked laughed ar Dugffys and Connolly misses all the way home In a word we were entertained not a word I’ve used much But we outplayed them totally To have surrendered the cup game to this lot was unbelievable.
Still a wee buzz even though fir 15 mins in second half I thought Higgs was punishing us for enjoying ourselves with return to the turgid Then we cruised on This Pats is not a v good outfit but looking at results it appears a lot of teams seem not to have bothered turning up A good late night run home In 2024 can we get more of same. Pleeeeeeeasssselol

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

A 3-0 victory at home... as Dee mentioned, 75% possession football in the opening 45 mins... a comfortable 2nd half where we didnt really need to score but did so in the end... another clean sheet... couple of near misses to increase our lead... all that and no recognised striker...

Nobody else pick up on that?

Say what you want about having thoughts on a final but the old adage still stands... You can only beat whats put in front of you and St. Pats had a strong team out last night...

Higgins doesnt get the credit he deserves at times...

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

To be fair I expected Derry to come 2nd again this season. To build a league winning team takes time. Years and experienced players and a bit of good fortune. We're not there yet.

The gripes relate more to the opportunities lost. The turgid 0-0s at home and the conservative approach adopted in far too many games when it really mattered, especially at home. That's the issue.

Our season was kept alive / interesting by the slim chance that we actually might miss out on Europe. There was the hard fought point won at home v shelbourne that settled the nerves. After that we could all breath easily.

Last night was an exhibition game of no real value. Nice one to win but doesn't really give a reflection of the season in any way.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Two defeats in the last 20 games (one of them away to Tobol) despite 2 morale crushing penalty shootouts in the middle of it. We are not too far away but RH has got some important work to do in the next few weeks. RAWA.