Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Just looking back at my pre-season predications...

"2nd place in League, an FAI Cup final and a better run in Europe".

I guess 2 out of 3 aint bad.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I just had a look at the thread and I noticed I had people telling me they disagreed with me when I said we hadn't improved in our recruitment and we lack a goalscorer. Finished on a point less than 2022, lost more league games and no trophy with a top scorer of 10 goals, after scoring his first in July. Want to tell me I was wrong chosen1 and Barry?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:17 pm I just had a look at the thread and I noticed I had people telling me they disagreed with me when I said we hadn't improved in our recruitment and we lack a goalscorer. Finished on a point less than 2022, lost more league games and no trophy with a top scorer of 10 goals, after scoring his first in July. Want to tell me I was wrong chosen1 and Barry?
Had we signed Georgie Kelly from Bohs back when we were linked to him then it would have been a different story. Leagues and Cups would have been on the menu. But until we have a proven goal scorer like that we will continue to struggle to compete with Rovers given their strength and depth. It was clear to me after a game or two that Mullan was not going to deliver the goals we needed. A signing that arguably we really didnt need and it kept other out of the team. McMullan on the other hand was dynamite from the get go. A great bit of business and improved us as a team. Just a shame that there's no one in the middle to benefit.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Three of the top 6 all ended in the same position as last year. Rovers, Derry and Bohs. Sligo have fallen away badly this season compared to last whilst Shelbourne are flying under Duff (after a cup final last season).

chosen1

Post by chosen1 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:17 pm I just had a look at the thread and I noticed I had people telling me they disagreed with me when I said we hadn't improved in our recruitment and we lack a goalscorer. Finished on a point less than 2022, lost more league games and no trophy with a top scorer of 10 goals, after scoring his first in July. Want to tell me I was wrong chosen1 and Barry?
You seem to be happy we failed , just to prove a point . Im really to busy now to get involved in posting or having debates in social media . I was super busy in the summer or I would have told you that I totally agreed with your rare positive post after Kups game ..
Its very ,very fine margins we failed with this season . What if ... What if Cian Kavanagh had scored that glorious chance against Tobol ... no extra time ...no penalties ... We would have went into Pats cup game fresher and with a positive winning mentality ... I have no doubt we would have beaten Pats in 90 minutes and would be facing your friend in the Aviva . And added to the euro pot with that trip to Prague.
A highly respected Dublin journalist , wrote at that time , Derry were missing that killer instinct , something he believed we had in Colly Whelan ... that unfortunate , untimely injury recurrence.. He also stated that he believed this season was a great opportunity for us to topple Rovers because failure to do so adds to the pressure of the targeted league title in 3 seasons .
Connolly , Dummigan ,Fats , Duffy ,McJannet ,Whelan and Patching injuries effected our season , Disappointingly the football we played was not of the standard of title winners . I thought we turned a corner when we signed McMullan and we started playing exciting football ... even Cian Kavanagh was scoring and looked like he had turned a corner til Tobol .
I will give Ruaidhrí his 3 years .. yes definitely massive improvement needed next year , and yes some luck as well .Like I said , If Cian had scored against Tobol or Colly hadn't got injured , I dont think you would be saying I told you so.
3 concerns on the squad front , I am not keen on this Michael Duffy role as a centre forward ... it actually done me out of over £400 on friday night when he missed an open net ...fine lines again ...
Diallo , might have he flaws and cost us badly at times this season ,but is a quality player definitely worth keeping in the squad , I would have thought .
The 3rd is Dickie ... Daniel Kelly ... Dundalk fc ... a done deal apparently .. A right winger ... but we have Paul McMullan .. some say a front 3 of Kelly Duffy and Mcmullan ... not sure how that would work .
Another rumour , which might not be a bad thing if true .Rennie returning and a reshuffle in the backroom team
Overall as a fan , Im happy as I believe we are work in progress but I really would like to be be taken from this season is to do what it takes to stop the trips to Tallaght. I believe if we keep progressing we will reach the group stages of Europa league in the next few seasons , The city of Derry deserves these big nights to happen in our city not Dublin ...

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

chosen1 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:08 pm
You seem to be happy we failed , just to prove a point . Im really to busy now to get involved in posting or having debates in social media . I was super busy in the summer or I would have told you that I totally agreed with your rare positive post after Kups game ..
Its very ,very fine margins we failed with this season . What if ... What if Cian Kavanagh had scored that glorious chance against Tobol ... no extra time ...no penalties ... We would have went into Pats cup game fresher and with a positive winning mentality ... I have no doubt we would have beaten Pats in 90 minutes and would be facing your friend in the Aviva . And added to the euro pot with that trip to Prague.
A highly respected Dublin journalist , wrote at that time , Derry were missing that killer instinct , something he believed we had in Colly Whelan ... that unfortunate , untimely injury recurrence.. He also stated that he believed this season was a great opportunity for us to topple Rovers because failure to do so adds to the pressure of the targeted league title in 3 seasons .
Connolly , Dummigan ,Fats , Duffy ,McJannet ,Whelan and Patching injuries effected our season , Disappointingly the football we played was not of the standard of title winners . I thought we turned a corner when we signed McMullan and we started playing exciting football ... even Cian Kavanagh was scoring and looked like he had turned a corner til Tobol .
I will give Ruaidhrí his 3 years .. yes definitely massive improvement needed next year , and yes some luck as well .Like I said , If Cian had scored against Tobol or Colly hadn't got injured , I dont think you would be saying I told you so.
3 concerns on the squad front , I am not keen on this Michael Duffy role as a centre forward ... it actually done me out of over £400 on friday night when he missed an open net ...fine lines again ...
Diallo , might have he flaws and cost us badly at times this season ,but is a quality player definitely worth keeping in the squad , I would have thought .
The 3rd is Dickie ... Daniel Kelly ... Dundalk fc ... a done deal apparently .. A right winger ... but we have Paul McMullan .. some say a front 3 of Kelly Duffy and Mcmullan ... not sure how that would work .
Another rumour , which might not be a bad thing if true .Rennie returning and a reshuffle in the backroom team
Overall as a fan , Im happy as I believe we are work in progress but I really would like to be be taken from this season is to do what it takes to stop the trips to Tallaght. I believe if we keep progressing we will reach the group stages of Europa league in the next few seasons , The city of Derry deserves these big nights to happen in our city not Dublin ...
Fine margins indeed. But can't every team point to fine margins?

I think when you add up all the fine margins and repeatedly say what if, what if, what if then it just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

We did ok this season, steady, solid, but not pulling up any trees. We finished strongly and got the job done.

Europe was fun when it lasted but it also exposed our glaring weakness and possibly our lack of preparation or professionalism when it got to pens.

If we can get Daniel Kelly, and it seems to be a done deal, then its great news. You can't have too many good players especially ones that know where the net is.

More signings like that and we'll not be too far off.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

What would a return for Reynolds mean for current No2 ?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:24 pm What would a return for Reynolds mean for current No2 ?
Another what if…

I suspect it means a promotion to No.1 or a demotion to No.3

Or he’ll remain No.2 with a new No.1.

So many what ifs 😂

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Dee I'm not sure what exact post this relates to? For the most part i think Higgins has improved the team in each window. Yes, we lack a goalscorer but so does the whole league if you compare goal returns. We didn't score enough goals across the team also. Personally, the only signings that I believe haven't worked out are:

Cian Kavanagh
Whealan - a risk signing an injured player.

We have also made a few medicore signings that haven't had the desired impact but are by no means poor signings .

I am quite critical of Higgins at times In his conservative tactics but to be fair his transfer business has been good.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

chosen1 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:08 pm You seem to be happy we failed , just to prove a point.
Not at all, I have no problem with being wrong but entering the season it was clear to me that the squad we assembled was less than the year before. We took a chance on a young fella who was still at the beginning of his recovery from a horrific injury. High risk, high reward if it pays off but we seen Jackie have a reoccurrence of a similar injury weeks before we got Whelan's signature. We never found a goalscorer and we signed a winger on loan (O'Neill) who marked the wing back but offered little in attack. If we won the league I would put my hand up and say I was wrong, but I would never be happy that the club "failed".

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:24 pm What would a return for Reynolds mean for current No2 ?
I've just read in another forum Rennie is on his way back. Didn't expect that to be true, tbh.
But surely that means that there's no room for Paddy McLaughlin??

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Is he still holding down 2 assistants jobs?
Waterford and Ireland u21s?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:40 pm Is he still holding down 2 assistants jobs?
Waterford and Ireland u21s?
Aye.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Pats win the Cup proving they are a different team when there’s something at stake.

Shels into Europe which is well deserved for Duff & co.

Bohs ended the season empty handed and with the same points as last season.

And Cork relegated. Shame as they are a big Club but not good enough. So down they go.

And that’s it. Season with a few highlights is finally over.