Cork City v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Cork City v Derry City Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

The big word used to be identity Teams were loved by supporters and their club had an identity The ground and the kit were almost sacred The pride reflected in kits nicknames The Candystripes Eg
Now the word is Money Money to pay mercsnaries big bucks under performers likewise get bid wages so identity doesn’t count Change lit as often as poss Eg Mewcarlle play Wolves in a horrible pointless Green where no clash of colours is apparent
So be it till we erode identity completely alas

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 am Can someone please explain something to me... ?

We play in red and white stripes. Does that rule out an all white away top against teams like St Pats or Sligo who may have a hint of white in their tops? Obviously wouldnt work v Dundlak.

Also, would the same problem arise if we used a white / blue stripe away top?
There's a definitive rule on this, but it seems to come down to referee preference. Hence every so often a ref makes a decision on a potential kit clash that seems out of the blue (and annoys everyone).

I think if we played Shels in red and white stripes then that would be deemed a clash. If, however, we played them in a top that was the reverse of what we currently have (i.e. almost all white, with just a small bit of red) then that might be deemed acceptable? Like I said, there's a rule on it but referees seem to have quite a bit of discretion on whether they're happy or not with the choices beyond that.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:38 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 am Can someone please explain something to me... ?

We play in red and white stripes. Does that rule out an all white away top against teams like St Pats or Sligo who may have a hint of white in their tops? Obviously wouldnt work v Dundlak.

Also, would the same problem arise if we used a white / blue stripe away top?
There's a definitive rule on this, but it seems to come down to referee preference. Hence every so often a ref makes a decision on a potential kit clash that seems out of the blue (and annoys everyone).

I think if we played Shels in red and white stripes then that would be deemed a clash. If, however, we played them in a top that was the reverse of what we currently have (i.e. almost all white, with just a small bit of red) then that might be deemed acceptable? Like I said, there's a rule on it but referees seem to have quite a bit of discretion on whether they're happy or not with the choices beyond that.
The league has become very lax on this over the years. We talk about professionalising the league but we can't get the most simple of rules right. How often will you see the home team, away team and referees all wearing black shorts? Or the ref and a GK in light blue or yellow? I could understand letting colour clashes go maybe 15 years ago when clubs might not want to spend money on a second set of socks and just wear white home and away but surely we've gotten far enough now that every club can afford different home and away kits and a possible third kit if needed?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Waterford promoted at the expense of Cork City.

Shame Cork couldn't sort themselves out but congratulations to Waterford. Some decent players in that team and great fans too.