Derry City v $h£l$ Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v $h£l$ Match Thread

Post by davybhoy »

Last night IMO is not a surprise - boring and not a serious shot on target even with being down to 10 men. Nobody can tell me this year was an improvement on last year. Even if we win our remaining 2 matches it only equals last year's total and no cup like last year although better in Europe. The only reason we are closer to rovers is they have went backwards.

Higgins has spent a fortune compared to previous managers with a large wage bill. Has he spent it wisely and is the football what we expect and I, as well as a lot of others, think it's a no. We are far too conservative and can't break teams down- on home form alone this season we'd be sixth in the league.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

I've said it before, I think the Manager has taken us as far as he can if we're able to stumble over the line into European slot it'll be more luck than judgement. Next season being the final year of our " 3 year project" we may be on the lookout for a new Manager by the end of it if he doesn't change his over cautious mindset.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

davybhoy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:54 pm Last night IMO is not a surprise - boring and not a serious shot on target even with being down to 10 men. Nobody can tell me this year was an improvement on last year. Even if we win our remaining 2 matches it only equals last year's total and no cup like last year although better in Europe. The only reason we are closer to rovers is they have went backwards.

Higgins has spent a fortune compared to previous managers with a large wage bill. Has he spent it wisely and is the football what we expect and I, as well as a lot of others, think it's a no. We are far too conservative and can't break teams down- on home form alone this season we'd be sixth in the league.
I agree. I said it a few months ago that we would be in a similar position this year on last year's budget. We took a gamble on an injured forward that sadly got injured weeks of making his debut. Rovers will win the league but they have gone backwards and are likely to break the squad up and refresh next season. There hasn't been a better opportunity to top them. Many point to the lack of a forward but we should also be looking at the lack of chances created. How many times this season has a player got to the edge of the box and pass the ball backwards or sideways instead of shooting? Is this a team directive or a lack of confidence? We have three top scorers. McEneff scored the majority of his goals in the opening 7-9 games of the season, Patching has scored all of his goals since July and Duffy's tally has been more spaced out. Granted Duffy was injured for a period of time at the start of the year, Patching had his issues but McEneff's use in the squad has been puzzling. He had a hot start but the manager appeared to go off him.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

There are tough questions to be asked about some of the 'big' names in our squad, and who are contributing a lot to the wage bill.

Some might not like those questions being asked, but if we are to improve as a team, we need to ask them.

I'll not name names, but will let performances, stats, goals and appearances speak for themselves.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:50 pm There are tough questions to be asked about some of the 'big' names in our squad, and who are contributing a lot to the wage bill.

Some might not like those questions being asked, but if we are to improve as a team, we need to ask them.

I'll not name names, but will let performances, stats, goals and appearances speak for themselves.
I agree 100pc as IMO Fats (always injured) and Duffy hasn't lived up to the hype whilst players like McGonigle just aren't good enough.

Coll, Cian Kavanagh, Diallo, Brandon Kavanagh are out of contract- who else?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Shane is out of contract I believe.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Ciaran Harkin as well?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

This season really does feel like a missed opportunity and has generally been a poor season in terms of excitement from our point of view. Beyond the European run, it feels like a season to forget.

Despite that, I feel that we'll still have an opportunity to win the league next season. Given how our squad is constructed, it feels like it's next season or bust, given the age profile of our players and the contract situations. Rovers will be going through something of a transition, losing a few of their more experienced players and potentially their manager. If we can add a few players, particularly a striker - I'd expect we'll be in for Keating - then we'll still be able to challenge.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

I think a striker that'll score you 15 a season is part of the problem but a few other things are missing IMO- an attacking midfielder who looks to break into the box, the main striker is always too isolated and the manager needs to start having a plan B and play two up front when needs be.

All I can is I am glad the season is nearing an end as most home games are a hard watch.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Get rid long term injury players big names or not and those are not goog enough .

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Even if the squad is further changed, I'm not sure much will change. Far too many points were dropped that shouldn't have been and I can't see the approach to games changing. We could have the best eleven in the league out on the pitch (and we probably have the best squad as it is now) and we'd still be going out to "control" the game.

I think modern coaching is ruining games and players.

I'd love to see Whelan and Harkin back but I think two serious issues injuries in a row would make me fear for their careers generally.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

The manager sets the playing style, so has to take the flak when it's not working and boring the fans.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Imagine if we miss out on Europe?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:13 pm Imagine if we miss out on Europe?
Top 3 gets Europe and we should come 3rd if we don't panic.

That point v Shelbourne was priceless.

Need to take something v Cork because i'd hate for it to go to the last game v Pats.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:59 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:13 pm Imagine if we miss out on Europe?
Top 3 gets Europe and we should come 3rd if we don't panic.

That point v Shelbourne was priceless.

Need to take something v Cork because i'd hate for it to go to the last game v Pats.
If Pats win tonight, they go second. Point required but not guaranteed.
Last edited by brandyball on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

It's Bohs we have to worry about.

If we get 1 pt from our last 2 games, and they win both theirs, then we finish 4th.

So we need 2pts from 2 games.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:01 pm It's Bohs we have to worry about.

If we get 1 pt from our last 2 games, and they win both theirs, then we finish 4th.

Correct. Hence, why I would hate to go into the last game needing points.

Bohs v Dundalk up next so we should know soon enough.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:13 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:01 pm It's Bohs we have to worry about.

Correct. Hence, why I would hate to go into the last game needing points.

Bohs v Dundalk up next so we should know soon enough.
Do we not need 1 ponit from 2 games?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

No, we are 4pts clear of Bohs. With a better goal difference.

If they win both games, we need at least 2pts to stay ahead.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

St pats now 3 points above us,