Candystripes

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Candystripes

Post by PauliAlonso »

Presumably we'll be getting a new home kit next season and probably a return to the more traditional red and white stripes. But I'm curious to know just how far from "traditional red and white stripes" fans would be willing to go. When the current home kit was released, much of the moaning had to do with "we can't call ourselves The Candystripes anymore" (despite that fact that we've rarely had true Candy Stripes - very narrow red and white lines - on a home kit. Teams that have two-coloured stripes on a kit are often quite restricted in terms of what they can offer. For us, it's often come down to the width of the stripes and the shade of red. So what kind of variations would you be OK with? Some examples:

Inverness CT 23/24 - fewer stripes, narrower centre stripe:
https://ictfc.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... x1024.jpeg

Crystal Palace 21/22 - diagonal stripes
https://www.soccerbible.com/media/127006/cpfc-3-min.jpg

Real Sociedad 23/24 - 3D pillars
https://i0.wp.com/footballfashion.org/w ... .jpg?ssl=1

Atletico Madrid 21/22 - brush strokes
https://static.nike.com/a/images/t_PDP_ ... TTGqVz.png

Atletico Madrid 22/23 - wavy lines (I've put that in for discussion's sake, but that's horrific looking)
https://images.ladbible.com/resize?type ... JJT54K.jpg

TenaciousDee

Re: Candystripes

Post by TenaciousDee »

I like the Palace stripes and would look lovely in red and white.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Teams that have two-coloured stripes on a kit are often quite restricted in terms of what they can offer.

Barcelona must be one of the most inventive teams.

Constantly reinventing the stripped jersey to keep it interesting and boost mech sales.

Regarding away kits... how does that work?

Are we restricted from having white in it?

Eg. Can we have an all white top or Blue and White top?

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:27 am Teams that have two-coloured stripes on a kit are often quite restricted in terms of what they can offer.

Constantly reinventing the stripped jersey to keep it interesting and boost mech sales.
True, but I guess I was referring more to other clubs like ourselves, who've always been just stripes and are known for it (e.g. Stoke City). I think if we went red and white hoops on a home kit (Barca have done hoops), there'd be a riot. :D

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

PauliAlonso wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:03 pm
marcoloco wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:27 am Teams that have two-coloured stripes on a kit are often quite restricted in terms of what they can offer.

True, but I guess I was referring more to other clubs like ourselves, who've always been just stripes and are known for it (e.g. Stoke City). I think if we went red and white hoops on a home kit (Barca have done hoops), there'd be a riot. :D
That's my point. Traditionally Barcelona have 2 colours and also wear stripes - not red and white obviously. But they mixed it up in so many different ways, eg. adding an extra navy stripe last year and a few years before experimenting with hoops. Think they've done the half and half and so many other variations also.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

The present shirt is grand but the numbers 1 and 7 are too similar for ease of picking out a player.
I still feel the blue away shirt is stylish and has a few years to run as no other clubs come near it in class.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

paul60 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:31 pm The present shirt is grand but the numbers 1 and 7 are too similar for ease of picking out a player.
I still feel the blue away shirt is stylish and has a few years to run as no other clubs come near it in class.
Number 1 is a goalkeepers shirt. :lol:

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

21 looks like 27, (I don’t think there’s a 27yet).

The keepers jersey has no red and white stripes.

Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

Given the mixed reception the current home jersey received, maybe some fan engagement should be considered tis time round.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Big_Red wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:26 pm Given the mixed reception the current home jersey received, maybe some fan engagement should be considered tis time round.
Regardless of what happens you are going to have people that love the shirt and others that dont. The last top people went off their nuts at the top being leaked then once they saw it officially a lot of people changed their minds on it.

What kind of fan engagement are you looking for?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:59 am
Big_Red wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:26 pm Given the mixed reception the current home jersey received, maybe some fan engagement should be considered tis time round.
Regardless of what happens you are going to have people that love the shirt and others that dont. The last top people went off their nuts at the top being leaked then once they saw it officially a lot of people changed their minds on it.

What kind of fan engagement are you looking for?
For me it's a quality issue (v price) rather than copying old shirt designs. But agree with you 100%. You'll never please everyone so no point trying. Better quality and something different and i'll buy it.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

The last home top, panned when it was launched, obviously sold plenty. .

I'd say its the top I've seen most people wearing around the town over the last few decades.

Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

Aye, points taken that it is a difficult job pleasing everyone, but if they could at least please me I would settle for that :lol:
The new Tipperary GAA shirt just released there has a pretty nice collar design on it, would be happy to use that.
With the current shirt, the red colour seemed a bit wierd to me, a bit orangey compared to the last adidas shirt.

Any type of poll is likely to get hijacked too, so admittedly not much point. Maybe try and poach whoever is behind the Bohs jersey designs/ideas, they always seem to come up with something good.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Big_Red wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:36 pm Aye, points taken that it is a difficult job pleasing everyone, but if they could at least please me I would settle for that :lol:
The new Tipperary GAA shirt just released there has a pretty nice collar design on it, would be happy to use that.
With the current shirt, the red colour seemed a bit wierd to me, a bit orangey compared to the last adidas shirt.

Any type of poll is likely to get hijacked too, so admittedly not much point. Maybe try and poach whoever is behind the Bohs jersey designs/ideas, they always seem to come up with something good.
On collars you will see the new Doire GAA collar is the same as the Tipperary shirt.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

It's hard to satisfy everyone. Someone mentioned supporters should be part of a consultation on the shirt appearance, this was done in 2007. I was living in England at the time and wasn't there but I remember reading here or on the older notice board, a large group of supporters had an informal consultation event with O'Neills that led to what I thought were two very pleasing shirts. Yet, people still disliked it (in a minority) for a variety of reasons.

Most suppliers (the Adidas shirts for example) offer a template design that is offered or used with clubs around the world and it is harder to be bolder with the design. The home shirt with the red fade that was rejected in favour of another design is a great example of this. I loved it because it was an attempt to be different, but someone pulled the plug as it was in the process of being marketed.

Whether people vote on a design or go to the factory and tell everyone how they want it done, someone will still complain.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 am On collars you will see the new Doire GAA collar is the same as the Tipperary shirt.
The collar and cuff on the new Shels top would have looked well on a City shirt.

https://twitter.com/shelsfc/status/1725 ... 97/photo/1

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:56 am
dcfc_legend9 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 am On collars you will see the new Doire GAA collar is the same as the Tipperary shirt.
The collar and cuff on the new Shels top would have looked well on a City shirt.

It's a decent top. And wont give you a sore head looking at it. Simple but nice detailing.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

Where's the Candystripes?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:24 pm The last home top, panned when it was launched, obviously sold plenty. .

I'd say its the top I've seen most people wearing around the town over the last few decades.
Some O'Neill semployee took a sneaky and unflattering photo of it before it was launched, and Derry peopke jumped the gun and got all annoyed about it before they actually saw the shirt for themselves. Then when they did most of those whinging about it wised up, as it was way better than the leaked photo.

There's a lesson in there for people about not jumping the gun on things, but I doubt it'll be learned :lol:

Not a huge fan of it myself, but you see plenty of people wearing it around (especially kids).

On a perhaps controversial note, I think we should stay with O'Neills as long as we can. Yes there are a few grumbles about quality at times, and apparently they're a pain to deal with. But there is literally no other supplier on earth who would deliver us the range and volume of items that O'Neills do. And that's before you get onto them having it all in a city centre store as well. Kit by Adidas etc may be a bit better and 'cooler', but they'll supply feck all stuff and it'll be hard to get for them as we're just not a priority. Hopefully we stick with O'Neills for at least another 2yrs anyway.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Looks more like a Sligo top than a Shels one tbh. Since when did they have stripes (albeit thin) ?