Derry City v UCD Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v UCD Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

Hargy asking for City to take handbrake off

https://spotify.link/PEAZzo7KsDb

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:37 pm Hargy asking for City to take handbrake off

https://spotify.link/PEAZzo7KsDb
Good to hear a respected ex player share the same frustrations that we've been discussing on here. Lack of goals and playing with too much fear rather than going all out for the win. Too late now for this season but let's go and get a few more wins and put this season to bed. Too many missed opportunities.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:18 pm We're playing for a place in the top 4.

Derry, Pats, Shels and Bohs fighting for 3 available spots.

1 point from 6 going into Friday tells you its wide open and another slip up could prove costly.
Behave yourself! We're heavy favourites to make top 3 and will likely finish 2nd. None of the teams around us are any more consistent than we are. We'll pick up 3 points tomorrow too

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Doesn't matter how many ex players or fans ask 'for the brake to be taken off', it's not going to happen (UCD aside).

It's not in the managers make up or tactical plans. He is a very conservative manager, and that's not an easy thing to change. I don't think he can.

I just worry we will throw more money into the squad and continue to play the 'must not lose' system.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:13 pm Doesn't matter how many ex players or fans ask 'for the brake to be taken off', it's not going to happen (UCD aside).

It's not in the managers make up or tactical plans. He is a very conservative manager, and that's not an easy thing to change. I don't think he can.

I just worry we will throw more money into the squad and continue to play the 'must not lose' system.
Summed up,perfectly

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:10 pm
marcoloco wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:18 pm We're playing for a place in the top 4.

Derry, Pats, Shels and Bohs fighting for 3 available spots.

1 point from 6 going into Friday tells you its wide open and another slip up could prove costly.
Behave yourself! We're heavy favourites to make top 3 and will likely finish 2nd. None of the teams around us are any more consistent than we are. We'll pick up 3 points tomorrow too
If we get a positive result tonight (and Shels lose to Rovers) then yes, i'd agree that top 4 is done and dusted. But if we draw and Shels pick up a win against a poor Rovers then i'm not so sure!

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Is it top 3 or top 4 needed for Euro football?

Also, is there any benefit for the euro draw to finish 2nd over 3rd?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Top 3 but if Pat's win the cup inside the top 3 league finish, 4th spot is handed their league qualification spot.

I believe this year winning the cup is a bigger deal than league position because the cup winners will start Europa Conference League qualification from the 2nd Round. Open to correction.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Team News
https://www.facebook.com/10006388233385 ... 48t4WcevJL

Fats season must be over.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:48 pm Team News
https://www.facebook.com/10006388233385 ... 48t4WcevJL

Fats season must be over.
It might be a controversial opinion, but it appears Dundalk were right to let him go. Probably the biggest earner who rarely plays enough games to make a difference.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Am I asleep or have we watched this self same boring stuff over and over
Let’s get this turgid season over please Dear God it’s so mind destroying

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:39 pm Am I asleep or have we watched this self same boring stuff over and over
And amazingly Eugene, this season might not be over. As it stands now, we are 3pts behind Rovers. Who knows what could happen in the last few games.

But it would be nice to try to get a few goals tonight to bring the goal difference down,but it appears we are content to play the usual slow football.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:49 pm
eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:39 pm Am I asleep or have we watched this self same boring stuff over and over
And amazingly Eugene, this season might not be over. As it stands now, we are 3pts behind Rovers. Who knows what could happen in the last few games.

But it would be nice to try to get a few goals tonight to bring the goal difference down,but it appears we are content to play the usual slow football.
Suddenly our manager plays the way the paying fan wants and KNOWS ie Play it quick …play it forward esp against poor sides 35 mins of sensible football the players seem to like. but the rest of the game makes no sense to me

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

The victory was inevitable but something tells me Higgins told them to up the tempo at half time. First two goals and McGonigle's strike the pick of the bunch and the corner kick routine was pulled off twice. Looking at tonight's results and what is ahead it is hard to see where the favour will come from to leap over Rovers but we can only win each game until the end of the season to at least guarantee second.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:45 pm The victory was inevitable but something tells me Higgins told them to up the tempo at half time. First two goals and McGonigle's strike the pick of the bunch and the corner kick routine was pulled off twice. Looking at tonight's results and what is ahead it is hard to see where the favour will come from to leap over Rovers but we can only win each game until the end of the season to at least guarantee second.
One thing I always wondered, why does it take a half time break for a manager to get a message through to the players? .

He is allowed to communicate with the team throughout the first half. He could have told them to up the tempo at any point in the first half had he wanted to.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Good old UCD.

Have fairly put a sheen on our goals scored

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:02 am
TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:45 pm The victory was inevitable but something tells me Higgins told them to up the tempo at half time. First two goals and McGonigle's strike the pick of the bunch and the corner kick routine was pulled off twice. Looking at tonight's results and what is ahead it is hard to see where the favour will come from to leap over Rovers but we can only win each game until the end of the season to at least guarantee second.
One thing I always wondered, why does it take a half time break for a manager to get a message through to the players? .

He is allowed to communicate with the team throughout the first half. He could have told them to up the tempo at any point in the first half had he wanted to.
I assume it is because the air dryer is hottest when blowing inside. I get what you mean but I also see how shouting from the side is ignored by those on the field but when in a room for 15 minutes it is harder to ignore.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Anyone know what the health & safety issue is moving from the Southend park stand to the Mark Farren stand just before half time. Pulse wouldn’t open the gate last night because of a H&S inspection by the Council. Is the shop and the bar now for Mark Farren stand and standing fans only because if you can’t dander over while the half is approaching it’s end to be able to have a chance to be served and get back to your seat for the 2nd half then that’s what it looks like. So anyone know what are the health and safety issues are?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Next season we’re doomed. :lol:

Our friends at UCD will be replaced by the more gallant Galway Utd. how will we cope!?