Derry City v UCD Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v UCD Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Last night we dodged a bullet following the events of Friday. Drogheda's Dayle Rooney scored an absolute belter to pull the rug from under Pat's feet and $h£l$ went from breathing down our necks to being pulled back by Bohs. Rovers on Friday has a tougher fixture on Friday night than we do so we need to approach this game in a similar vein as the fixture last season when we put 7 passed them with ease.

As it stands McEleney returns from suspension with Boyce missing for the same reason. Any other team news and predictions, plus reaction post below.

If you can't make the match it is live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v UCD Match Thread

Post by Keyser Soze »

Should be an easy 3pts.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm Should be an easy 3pts.
Tell that to Shamrock Rovers from last Friday... Nothing to lose but their pride at this stage... Be nice to say they held the top two teams in the league to draws even when relegated...

I'll take a scrappy 1 nil now :)

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Boys boys false hopes false hopes We had EVERYHING in our own grasp Europe The Cup Bohs Rovers. Sligo. Then others threw us lifelines but look at it realistically we blew it MrO Doherty deserves every credit every plaudi but the team blew it Let’s not grasp at straws We will absolutely tank UCD for what that’s worth v little now We look to next season well if we blow up again we need to ask WHY ? I’ll be glad to see this one over Since Athlone in the old days I’ve never been so gutted

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

How many goals have our centre forwards scored between them this season,rember these are all of Higgins signing.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Greengo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:48 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm Should be an easy 3pts.
Tell that to Shamrock Rovers from last Friday... Nothing to lose but their pride at this stage... Be nice to say they held the top two teams in the league to draws even when relegated...

I'll take a scrappy 1 nil now :)
Ucd have been dreadful all season. One decent result doesn't make them a good team.

We SHOULD beat them easily. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

It's a game we're all expecting to win. And it's back to a level that our forwards should excel. 3 points a must to keep us in the mix for a European spot.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Last year we got 66 points. This year even if we win all the games left we'll get 69 points and knocked out of the cup in the first round. That's not much of an improvement year on year with a really big budget.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

davybhoy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:59 am Last year we got 66 points. This year even if we win all the games left we'll get 69 points and knocked out of the cup in the first round. That's not much of an improvement year on year with a really big budget.
There's been no real improvement. Rovers are worse so the gap doesnt look at big. But other teams around us are improving. Pats, Shels and Bohs all capable of giving us a fright!

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:18 am
davybhoy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:59 am Last year we got 66 points. This year even if we win all the games left we'll get 69 points and knocked out of the cup in the first round. That's not much of an improvement year on year with a really big budget.
There's been no real improvement. Rovers are worse so the gap doesnt look at big. But other teams around us are improving. Pats, Shels and Bohs all capable of giving us a fright!
I agree - IMO we should be doing a lot better for the budget we have. Not a decent striker and midfielders that haven't contributed many goals. The league was certainly there for us to win but we lost so many stupid points throughout the year. Based on home form alone this season we'd be sixth in the league which shows we can't break teams down in the brandywell.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Too many draws have destroyed our season in both cup competitions and league games. Ultimately a lack of goals is costing us which is really down to the manager to resolve. I recall when Duffy used to be a goal threat but now i see him as an out and out winger. With only 1 up front and no real desire to take risks I think we're fortunate that other teams are limited in their ability. I did not for a second expect us to win the league this season but the manner in which the season has played out is disappointing. 1 good European result was the highlight of a tough enough season.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:25 pm Too many draws have destroyed our season in both cup competitions and league games. Ultimately a lack of goals is costing us which is really down to the manager to resolve. I recall when Duffy used to be a goal threat but now i see him as an out and out winger. With only 1 up front and no real desire to take risks I think we're fortunate that other teams are limited in their ability. I did not for a second expect us to win the league this season but the manner in which the season has played out is disappointing. 1 good European result was the highlight of a tough enough season.
Yes perfectly said For 2 seasons generally the football has been boring ,insipid and our team toothless A cup final and one EURO game we’re supposed to placate us. Well we will have to listen up again to how much Europe means in cash terms. But to those of us who pay to be entertained it will be … tough shut up and turn up or your mot a supporter at all

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Easy win [people saying they'd take any sort of win - behave!] and, sadly, league hopes over if Shamrocks beat Shels at the same time

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

da-gama wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:57 pm Easy win [people saying they'd take any sort of win - behave!] and, sadly, league hopes over if Shamrocks beat Shels at the same time
Think league was over when we conceded that late penalty against Rovers.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

If we had of held on against rovers and beat sligo last week we would top by one point. It's been said before but the league has been a really poor standard this year. Rovers gave us numerous chances but we couldn't take advantage.

My biggest disappointment was going out of Europe and even worse was the cup exit. Last year's final brought such a good buzz to the city, was hoping for the same this year.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

brandyball wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 pm
da-gama wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:57 pm Easy win [people saying they'd take any sort of win - behave!] and, sadly, league hopes over if Shamrocks beat Shels at the same time
Last weekend showed it wasn't.

But with 5 matches left, needing a 6 point swing (considering their GD) and looking at their run-in, I feel it is if they beat Shels

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

da-gama wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:50 pm
brandyball wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 pm
Last weekend showed it wasn't.

But with 5 matches left, needing a 6 point swing (considering their GD) and looking at their run-in, I feel it is if they beat Shels
Drogs away and Shels at home won't be straightforward for us.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I agree. Pat's at home last night of the season will only be made easier if they make the FAI Cup final and have the top 3 already locked.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

We're playing for a place in the top 4.

Derry, Pats, Shels and Bohs fighting for 3 available spots.

1 point from 6 going into Friday tells you its wide open and another slip up could prove costly.