Derry City v UCD Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v UCD Match Thread

Post by Keyser Soze »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:35 pm Next season we’re doomed. :lol:

Our friends at UCD will be replaced by the more gallant Galway Utd. how will we cope!?
We'll score a lot less goals, that's for sure.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Brandon Kavanagh made a great impact when he came on with a goal and an assist. Last year I felt he was playing out of position on the wing and was easily silenced by the opposition. This year he has been played centrally and has played some of his best football. Five goals in all competitions and seven assists in the league alone. It is a pity the tactics applied by the manager does not accommodate a running playmaker bursting forward from midfield like he does.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

That would be too exciting.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:27 pm That would be too exciting.
Btw to the poster who said 2 strikers are not in keeping with modern game the Aston Villa manager is right off his trolly stating his success comes from his use of TWO Yes TWO strikers 5. 1. V Brighton. Who btw are no UCD shows he is “ out of touch” 😂

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:59 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:27 pm That would be too exciting.
Btw to the poster who said 2 strikers are not in keeping with modern game the Aston Villa manager is right off his trolly stating his success comes from his use of TWO Yes TWO strikers 5. 1. V Brighton. Who btw are no UCD shows he is “ out of touch” 😂
Over to you Nige.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:37 pm Brandon Kavanagh made a great impact when he came on with a goal and an assist. Last year I felt he was playing out of position on the wing and was easily silenced by the opposition. This year he has been played centrally and has played some of his best football. Five goals in all competitions and seven assists in the league alone. It is a pity the tactics applied by the manager does not accommodate a running playmaker bursting forward from midfield like he does.
That's why we got rid of Joe Thomson to Larne. A box to box midfielder with a keen eye for goal.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I agree with the point about Brandon Kavanagh. While everything needs to be viewed from the perspective of a game against a relegated UCD, I also think McGonigle is more dangerous coming in off the side as opposed to playing up front on his own. Unfortunately, that is where Duffy also plays.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

If we are going to have a serious go at winning this league next season, we are going to have to face up to the fact that we need to spend serious money and wages bringing in someone who is going to bang in plenty of goals. Maybe even more than 1.

Around the rest of the team, we are well capable of competing with other teams in the league, but unless we get more goals, we won't win this league.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Agreed. Something we've been banging on about for 2 years. We are capable in so many departments and have fairly decent cover but lack the GOALS FOR!

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Anyone know how Whelan's rehab is going as he looked a player

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

kitwe wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:29 pm Agreed. Something we've been banging on about for 2 years. We are capable in so many departments and have fairly decent cover but lack the GOALS FOR!
Agreed K BUT BUT BUT the team set up from day one with the emphasis on slow slow keep ball The lack, till someone eg Paddy altered the system of corners now we are netting from corners. The ludicrous 11 men defending corners and subsequent 3 3 or 4 further crosses seemingly abandoned the 65 min substitution dictated not by need but apparently by the clock all mitigated against us score goals as well as we were easy to defend against So it Wasnt all about strikers Some got v v v little decent ball

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

To be honest Eugene, I can't think of anyone since Badger Mahon's departure as DCFC manager not putting all 11 men in the box to defend corners and set pieces. Derry has never been a tall, physical side so crowding the box has been the best tactic they have had to nullifying these attacks.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:20 pm To be honest Eugene, I can't think of anyone since Badger Mahon's departure as DCFC manager not putting all 11 men in the box to defend corners and set pieces. Derry has never been a tall, physical side so crowding the box has been the best tactic they have had to nullifying these attacks.
Tenacious I must strongly disagree This tactic emerged lately I was enraged weekly At Pats we were cruising then conceded a corner in 94th min which changed into 4 corners as they pumped the clearance back in easily Resulyb96 min goal Let’s not fall out but sometimes the more in the box the more they get in the way Every team I’ve seen leaves an outlet man to slow the play for defence to get out But let’s not fight ….just agree to differ I’m glad it’s gone and we are not so vulnerable now and what about US scoring from corners now great

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Stephen Kenny always played it when in charge at Derry and everyone that followed did the same.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

My biggest gripe is throwing on defensive players, at home, when there’s attacking players sat on the bench. Especially in games that we’re drawing. Playing too safe with home advantage is nuts.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:09 pm My biggest gripe is throwing on defensive players, at home, when there’s attacking players sat on the bench. Especially in games that we’re drawing. Playing too safe with home advantage is nuts.
I've always said our manager has no plan B.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:09 pm My biggest gripe is throwing on defensive players, at home, when there’s attacking players sat on the bench. Especially in games that we’re drawing. Playing too safe with home advantage is nuts.
Not losing is often more important than winning.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:35 pm
Not losing is often more important than winning.
Spot on. And precisely why our season ended in September.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

We went chasing a 2nd goal at home against Rovers... Maybe you've forgotten the outcome