Sligo Rovers v Derry City FC Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Sligo Rovers v Derry City FC Match Thread

Post by fergal »

Ref was shocking. But the set up and performance was shocking. Same subs that turned the rovers game for the worse last week again. Kavangh is young. But brutal. Boyce doing what he did while on a yellow should be fined by the club. Half the team must have backed sligo tonight

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Hopefully Pat's win the league as they have a game in hand and still to play rovers.

The thing about a clear out is there is too many players on LT contracts. I think Diallo, Coll and Cain Kavanagh's contracts are up not sure about anyone else. McGonigle still has a few years left and would want a pay off.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

How bad must McGonigle actually be?

Needing a win, desperate for a goal, nothing up front, but yet doesn't make it off the bench.

Soul destroying night

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Must be a fall out with mcgongle. Cause kavenagh looks like hes never kicked a football 99% of the time

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Has any team blown so much in such a short time out of Europe , can’t score, Out of cup ,, can’t score …..Rovers for the taking ……blew it……..t Rovers hand us a bonus to night ______can’t score but boy we sure can foul, TRUTHFULLY we are easy to,play against. predictable Any manager studying Derry can see we only one way of playing and it’s turgid

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

fergal wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:55 pm Must be a fall out with mcgongle. Cause kavenagh looks like hes never kicked a football 99% of the time
McGonigle is worse ffs.

And let's be honest our so called top players haven't contributed as much i'd expect- Fats is always injured (and I wouldn't give him a new contract) whilst Duffy IMO should be doing more.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

No way mcgongle is worse than kavanagh, kavanagh cant control a football. And mullan aint much better than mcgongle either. He may not be the answer. But hes nowere near worse

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

fergal wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:07 pm No way mcgongle is worse than kavanagh, kavanagh cant control a football. And mullan aint much better than mcgongle either. He may not be the answer. But hes nowere near worse
McGonigle offers nothing- if so i'd like to know what it is. At least Kavanagh puts himself about. Obviously the management team who see them everyday in training have him as third choice striker.
Last edited by davybhoy on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Fair to say the European result has papered over an average season. Worrying that we are giving boys like Mullan a deal. We throw on defenders at home and away rather than our striker sat on the bench. The league was lost last week but this week is all about 2nd. That now looks under serious threat. We should have enough to sneak 3rd but usual shortcomings can’t continue.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Shocking display tonight and really calls into question the manager’s position. Patching and Diallo are slow and ponderous on the ball. Danny Mullan looks like a poor D&D team. Not good enough Higgins.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Kavanagh came on against rovers last week, and tonight against sligo. Not one ball sticks when played to him. He never ever gets a second touch on anything played to him. It always hits him and goes yards away and he loses possession. Am not saying mcgongles the answer, but shows in the set up were the management is at if there happy for a body up front that cant kick a ball.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Why all this talk Mc Gonigle Kavanagh Whelan Mullan He signed them ….they are to a man. useless Whelan should not have been signed the others are Loughgall standard if Duffy doesn’t produce we don’t Higgins He lives off Duffy the opposition know this hes boring dull and one tracked I’m disgusted to be handed 3 competitions on a plate and blow the lot Now he’ll boast he will have us in Europe again against Kallligggastam United and expect we fawn over this Disgusted

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:24 pm Why all this talk Mc Gonigle Kavanagh Whelan Mullan He signed them ….they are to a man. useless Whelan should not have been signed the others are Loughgall standard if Duffy doesn’t produce we don’t Higgins He lives off Duffy the opposition know this hes boring dull and one tracked I’m disgusted to be handed 3 competitions on a plate and blow the lot Now he’ll boast he will have us in Europe again against Kallligggastam United and expect we fawn over this Disgusted
The way things are going top 4 could be in danger.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

Just one of those seasons were a big effort was put into Europe. Shamrock must have been sweating and thankful of the Sligo result for they aren’t performing.
Disappointing but what has happened tonight shows that the top teams are looking over their shoulder, tired, drained and wanting to get to November.
Most of the panel will be there next season. As I said before I didn’t think they would win the league this time round but expect it to happen 2024 with the panel we have, a tougher professional attitude and a striker.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Rovers fans probably are still sweating the bit out tonight because come 10pm on Monday night, the club's lead could be cut to 3 points. We should be more concerned with what is going on over our shoulder than what is ahead of us.

brendan_d

Post by brendan_d »

A bad result no doubt about it.

I genuinely think we aren’t far away. Fats has been hampered by injury all year. He needs an operation and will hopefully be back fitter and stronger next year. He’s been one of the best players in the league over the past number of years. A class act.

Dummigan hasn’t been the same since his injury at the start of the season. He needs to get it cleared up once and for all during the close season.

Same goes for Connelly.

All this chat about a centre forward. I’m sure Higgins knows that we need one. He can’t pull one from his backside though. There isn’t one in the league of Ireland. Gaffney the closest to what we need but he’s not getting any younger. He’s taken a few gambles that haven’t paid off. If he goes for a league two or league one striker in England it’s another gamble. It may work, it may not.

People calling for Higgins head need a reality check. I despair at times reading some of the drivel on here.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Didn't think Derry were all that bad in first half but second half was poor and not at all near the level needed for a team that wants to win the league.

Higgins was talking during the week about improving the points tally from last year which already sounded like an admission of defeat on the league.

I had thought we had started to play a bit more around Europe time bh we have seem to have reverted back to type again.

I think the number of injuries we have should probably be looked into more. McEleney, Connolly and Dummigan have barely played all year.

Complete missed opportunity this year.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Rovers have been poor and inconsistent all year and drawing against ucd tonight shows it. Enough excuses.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Fats one of the best players in the league the last few years? You serious? Yes he was probably the best player in the league when he was at his peak at Dundalk, but since he has signed for us he hasn't been fit long enough to be considered one of the best players in the league. I'd say he wasn't even in the Top 10. He scored 1 goal last season ffs.

And this season I'd say he has done even less. He is taking a large chunk of change from the wage bill, and for him to be sitting on the bench for most of the season isn't helping the club. To think hes going to get an operation and come back some sort of superstar at his age, you have to get realistic. Not going to happen.

And same could be said of Duffy. I'm a fan, but he's also living on his Dubdalk-days reputation. He has rarely shown any such form for us. And another huge earner.

Hoping these 2 guys are going to reproduce their form from their early or mid 20s as they approach their 30s isn't thinking logically. Especially with the injuries and the miles on the clock.

I think the manager has to take a lot of the blame for this failed season. He is far too negative. Only has a Plan A, and has made some bad signings, which he actually then perseveres with. As I said before, this has been the weakest LOI in many years. We have pumped a large amount of money into the squad to try to go for the title, and it all ended with a whimper.

Not good enough.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Anyone got Stephen Kenny's number?