Shamrocks visit

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Shamrocks visit

Post by brandyball »

Dummigan,Connolly on Bench. Fats injured again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3882333859

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Mullan starting?

When you're at home and absolutely need a win to keep the season alive... it's not who i'd be starting with.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, make's a complete fool of me and scores a hat trick. :lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:12 pm Mullan starting?

When you're at home and absolutely need a win to keep the season alive... it's not who i'd be starting with.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, make's a complete fool of me and scores a hat trick. :lol:
Scored 2 great headers recently.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Sums up Derry, when it matters they fuck it up. My enthusiasm for this this season really went down hill when they got put out by a poor tobol in Europe and an awful pats team in the cup. Ah well there's always next year. :roll:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Thought they were there for the taking, if only we'd a manager that could play with 2 up front.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Predicable outcome. Goal scorers sat on the bench whilst we play out another home draw. Need to be braver and turn all these home draws into wins.

Penalty was soft but Burke used all his experience. Don’t agree with Higgins that it wasn’t a penalty. Defender caught on the wrong side and has to make contact.

Maybe next year.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:29 pm Thought they were there for the taking, if only we'd a manager that could play with 2 up front.
If that's the height of your analysis then I despair. The days of two centre forwards are gone. Any team worth their salt would play 3 in midfield and outnumber our two. The two opposing full backs would be unoccupied so could push up and force us back. There's a reason no team plays '2 up front' these days. Feel free to provide examples.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Thought we played well for the majority of the game bar the 10 minute spell after half time. A totally deflating result that leaves us with two much to do

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:44 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:29 pm Thought they were there for the taking, if only we'd a manager that could play with 2 up front.
If that's the height of your analysis then I despair. The days of two centre forwards are gone. Any team worth their salt would play 3 in midfield and outnumber our two. The two opposing full backs would be unoccupied so could push up and force us back. There's a reason no team plays '2 up front' these days. Feel free to provide examples.
1 CF would be a good start :lol:

You’re at home. You need 3 points. Yet we offered little attacking threat. Rovers will be thrilled. Thought we were better with the ball but I don’t think they were really tested too often.
Last edited by marcoloco on Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:53 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:44 pm
1 CF would be a good start :lol:

You’re at home. You need 3 points. Yet we offered little attacking threat. Rovers will be thrilled. Thought we were better with the ball but I don’t think they were really tested too often.
With McMullan sending in cross after cross and nobody there to get on the end of then his heart must have been broken.

Gerrymc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Gerrymc »

Big dent but not over yet. Play and win every match lads and never know. Up the city

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Never a penalty, never mind a red card.

brendan_d

Post by brendan_d »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:35 pm Predicable outcome. Goal scorers sat on the bench whilst we play out another home draw. Need to be braver and turn all these home draws into wins.

Penalty was soft but Burke used all his experience. Don’t agree with Higgins that it wasn’t a penalty. Defender caught on the wrong side and has to make contact.

Maybe next year.
Who are these goal scorers you talk of?

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

The year of the pens will we ever forget it .
We took the ball off them every time in the first 45 We looked like we could dominate them The wing men were running them ragged Then then then and ,stats men step up , we reverted to the awful dreadful new Derry habit of FOULING them That meant with Higgins’s steadfast attitude that 11 men defend the box we were hemmed in for long long periods and only O Reilly broke once and unfortunately scuffed his effort We effectively handed over the control . Mc Mullan blew up and the subs were on too late One bad Mc Mullan blunder leaves Shane ….brillant all night left stranded . Pen again
To misquote the poet TS Eliot in the Hollow Men poem now I fear “this is the way the season will end not….with a bang but a whimper “
I think we may just whimper out now we’ve blown up too many times lately ooo sad sad sad The past while at the Brandy has been gut wrenching

brendan_d

Post by brendan_d »

Missing three of our best players didn’t help either. Fully fit Connelly, Dummigan and Fats for the majority of the season would have made a difference.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

brendan_d wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:23 am Missing three of our best players didn’t help either. Fully fit Connelly, Dummigan and Fats for the majority of the season would have made a difference.
I think Whelan has been our biggest loss this season, we'd be a completely different team if we had a dangerous forward.

As much as he's been a great player over the years, surely it's time to start asking the tough questions about Fats. He is out more than he's in, and is probably close to being the top earner at the club. We need players who are available most weeks, barring random injuries, but Patrick seems to be having consistent injury issues.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

A game you MUST win and we throw on 2 defenders at the end?

Surely if you need a goal, McGonigle and McEneff are worth a gamble and in all honesty should have been introduced sooner.

Am i missing something maybe?

Home draws are what cost us the league, Cup and Europe this season.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:28 am A game you MUST win and we throw on 2 defenders at the end?

Surely if you need a goal, McGonigle and McEneff are worth a gamble and in all honesty should have been introduced sooner.

You must have missed the red card. Losing that game would have completely ended things. Ensuring you get a draw when 10 v 11 was absolutely the right thing to do.

I agree that McGonigle should have been on earlier, rather than Kavanagh

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 am [quote=marcoloco post_id=278494 time=1694845688

Seriously. Seriously. You bring on a player who just doesn’t score or harass the back line
We handed them territory. They man marked Patching well No Fats no passing Dialo can move it but has no creative vision O Reilly the best hope but when the wide men blew up so did we

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 am
marcoloco wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:28 am A game you MUST win and we throw on 2 defenders at the end?

You must have missed the red card. Losing that game would have completely ended things. Ensuring you get a draw when 10 v 11 was absolutely the right thing to do.

Would agree with that except the McGonigle bit. Our only chance of a goal after the sending off was going to be a set piece. So shore up for the point and look for a winner from a free or corner. Made sense to me.