Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Tobol v Derry City Europa Conference League QR3 Leg 1 Match Thread

Post by dcbhoy »

Dublin it is, only change territory if no suitable venue

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Dublin it is, only change territory if no suitable venue https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... rk-4249649

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

At least some people will be pleased.

The vast majority of fans will be disappointed, and many might not now be able to attend the game.

You've hit the nail on the head @stevebradley, we really need to look at the long term if we, or the chairman, is serious in their aspirations.

Simple fact, if you need 8000 seats for the group stages, we have to ask how is that ever going to work at the Brandywell? Are we always going to have to play away from home for our home games.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Disappointed in this but Derry maybe partly to blame for only making the request on Monday.

It's difficult to know what sort of an attendance is realistic for Tallaght.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Looking at the statement from Uefa, it appears Windsor Park was never a possibility.

Attendance will depend on how the 1st leg goes I think. If the tie is alive, I'm sure we'll get a decent crowd, despite it being a Thursday night and a 7 or 8hr round trip. Likely 2 days needed off work too.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm Looking at the statement from Uefa, it appears Windsor Park was never a possibility
Yeah. So you have to ask why the club couldn't have sought definitive advice or read up on the rules itself before wasting the last 5 days on what it transpires was always going to be a wild goose chase ? We could have spent that time selling tickets for Tallaght and enabling fans to make travel arrangements, get time off work etc.

This has all been poorly handled IMO.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way? What if the request was just a stunt to further highlight the need for improved facilities. Maybe that's too conspiratorial!

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Charging the full £25 for Tallaght too, will be even less appealing for people if we don't get a result tonight. Probably some UEFA rule somewhere on pricing, do as little as possible for the fans

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:51 am Charging the full £25 for Tallaght too, will be even less appealing for people if we don't get a result tonight. Probably some UEFA rule somewhere on pricing, do as little as possible for the fans
Your post is right on the “money”. After the Euphoria and I was euphoric too I admit It comes back to what you say No one in the upper echelons gives a damn about fans. Yes a 10 min walk to Windsor would have been nice for me granted but no body apparently looked at regulations at all . Hey just mooted an idea shamefully Now the €25 ticket and a long trek Tot Dublin Fans just don’t count ? Look it’s good to see us compete but at the end of the day are we being suckered by money grappers in Eufa etc. I’ve suddenly gone off Europe. Sad I know what Derry is our home football should be played at your home

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Think the price should have been lower. Only two factors I can think of are an attempt to recoup travelling costs to Kazakhstan and the possible cost of Tallaght.

So far, it looks as if we have only rented the West Stand which, if so, sort of undermines the UEFA insistence that we play in a ground with a minimum number of seats. We could well end up playing before a crowd less than what the Brandywell holds.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

rodgers wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:25 pm Think the price should have been lower. Only two factors I can think of are an attempt to recoup travelling costs to Kazakhstan and the possible cost of Tallaght.

So far, it looks as if we have only rented the West Stand which, if so, sort of undermines the UEFA insistence that we play in a ground with a minimum number of seats. We could well end up playing before a crowd less than what the Brandywell holds.
They will release tickets in blocks, if West Stand doesn't sell out that will be it, if it does they'll open up another one. UEFA rules are punitive against smaller teams as they see them as a hinderance to their elite money making games. Bad pitches and small grounds were great levelers at times for the David v Goliath games, now David rarely even gets to play. Requiring a ground that on paper is capable of hosting the final at this stage is just ridiculous.

What about the £800,000 odd quoted, obviously don't have it yet but not reasons to get fans to pay. I remember it was Bayern Munich I think were playing Chelsea in Champions League and said the tickets for Stamford Bridge were too expensive and only charged their fans £30 and paid the rest themselves.

TenaciousDee

Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Creating this to separate all the Tallaght talk in the first leg thread.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

rodgers wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:25 pm Think the price should have been lower. Only two factors I can think of are an attempt to recoup travelling costs to Kazakhstan and the possible cost of Tallaght.

Sure if match had have been in Brandywell it would still have been £25.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

Post by dcbhoy »

Can't walk to Dublin though, plus i always thought the £25 was to maximise income from the reduced attendance at Brandywell. Obviously not !

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:08 pm Can't walk to Dublin though, plus i always thought the £25 was to maximise income from the reduced attendance at Brandywell. Obviously not !
It's all about The Money, Money.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:08 pm Can't walk to Dublin though, plus i always thought the £25 was to maximise income from the reduced attendance at Brandywell. Obviously not !
Club has to transport and pay two nights accomodation for the team and management. The bookings were made last weekend so factor in Dublin costs at present then add the even more extortionate rates for booking so late. Then they have to pay for a security team, if they are not bussing stewards from Derry up and down in the one day like at the cup final. I imagine they also have to pay for the rental of the ground too.

£25 has been the cost for these games for the last two seasons and I get the argument that reducing prices might encourage people to go. People will argue we took X amount to Lansdowne for the Cup final but that was on a Sunday in November but we are in a period of time (Derry fortnight) where it is hard to get time off on a Thursday. Few I know has said they have already used up their time allocation and may struggle to go with the majority of co-workers already booked off at businesses/firms for months in advance for family holidays/weddings/stag and hen dos/lads and girls holidays etc.

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Did well to come away with a 0-1 scoreline on the balance of play and against 12 men, as that referee was brutal.

Another difficult game next week when we get them back to T̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶r̶a̶n̶d̶y̶w̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶D̶e̶r̶r̶y̶,̶ ̶N̶o̶r̶n̶ ̶I̶r̶o̶n̶ ̶Tallaght

Their goalkeeper isn't great, so hoping to see him really tested

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Serious was this ref serious or was something else involved Worse than any I’ve ever seen

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:58 pm Serious was this ref serious or was something else involved Worse than any I’ve ever seen
How he missed the 2 footed challenge should have been straight red, not even a yellow given.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:45 pm

They will release tickets in blocks, if West Stand doesn't sell out that will be it, if it does they'll open up another one. UEFA rules are punitive against smaller teams as they see them as a hinderance to their elite money making games. Bad pitches and small grounds were great levelers at times for the David v Goliath games, now David rarely even gets to play. Requiring a ground that on paper is capable of hosting the final at this stage is just ridiculous.

What about the £800,000 odd quoted, obviously don't have it yet but not reasons to get fans to pay. I remember it was Bayern Munich I think were playing Chelsea in Champions League and said the tickets for Stamford Bridge were too expensive and only charged their fans £30 and paid the rest themselves.
I was at Haverford West (Cymru Premier) against B36 Torshavn at Cardiff City Stadium last week. Haverford are a very small Welsh club, and Cardiff is 95 miles away from them. Cardiff City Stadium has a capacity of over 33,000 ( more thna 4x the size of Tallaght), and wouldn't have been cheap for Haverford to hire. Havvy don't have many fans either to hep pay their billls with, having an average attendnace of 374 last season. Yet they still made the decision to charge only £10 for tickets to their Torshavn game. And got a crowd of 2,200 as a result (which is huge by Welsh league standards).

Larne had to hire Spitude for their European fixtures, yet only charged £12 for their game against HJK Helsinki last month.

The price of tickets charged to games is clearly a choice that clubs themselves make. As we've seen with the £17 being charged for a really medicore Cup game against Athlone Town, Derry City's strategy is to charge as much as they can. We're pretty much the most expensive club on the island to watch football at.