Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Tobol v Derry City Europa Conference League QR3 Leg 1 Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:28 pm IFA pay rent to Linfield. Either way, I would rather give Rovers the money.
Sorry, I thought it was the other way round. Didn't know landlord paid the Tenants.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Linfield owns the land, IFA own the stadium. For the NI games, Super Cup etc. IFA are charged rent of the land by Linfield to stage the matches. This is how the fees will be paid out if we get the chance to play there. I doubt it will happen.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Another thing, I didn't know, " we have our own Plane "

https://fb.watch/mh-7d95o74/

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:19 pm So you'd like to line the pockets of the club (Linfield) who pushed and voted to kick us out of the Irish League?
This is just incorrect TD.

Even if it wasn't - what you're referring to was over 50years ago now. And the best thing that ever happend to Derry City in my opinion was getting to join the LOI. Why can you not move on after half a century ?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:34 pm Linfield owns the land, IFA own the stadium. For the NI games, Super Cup etc. IFA are charged rent of the land by Linfield to stage the matches. This is how the fees will be paid out if we get the chance to play there. I doubt it will happen.
The IFA pays a fixed annual rent to Linfield. The ground is then managed by an arms-length Stadium Management Company on behalf of the IFA - who rent the facilitiy out, file their own accounts etc.

Even if Derry City paid to play at Windsor Park every single day for the rest of the year, not a penny of that stadium rent would go to Linfield. Because they would still get the fixed standard annual rent that they get in their agreement with the IFA every year anyway. No more and no less

So no money Derry City paid to hire Windsor would 'line Linfield's pockets'.

Hope that clears this myth up.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:28 pm IFA pay rent to Linfield. Either way, I would rather give Rovers the money.
Rovers don't own Tallaght Stadium - South Dublin County Council do.

So just like using Windsor Park wouldn't mean DCFC giving any money to Linfield, using Tallaght wouldn't mean DCFC giving any money to Shamrock Rovers either.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Just a wee query will Derry get compensated for having to play their Home games away from The Brandywell?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:35 pm Just a wee query will Derry get compensated for having to play their Home games away from The Brandywell?
By who, and why?

It's no-one else's fault that Derry City don't have a ground that's fit for purpose after 95yrs(ish) of senior football. No-one owes us a favour.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:19 pm So you'd like to line the pockets of the club (Linfield) who pushed and voted to kick us out of the Irish League?
I'd probably rather pay them than Rovers, yes. As I said, I think the normalising of playing there is a positive thing and putting historical feuds, such as the one you mentioned, into history is a good thing

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

brandyball wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:35 pm Just a wee query will Derry get compensated for having to play their Home games away from The Brandywell?
The dear lord loves a trier! Haha

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Can anyone clarify was it only numbers (4500 capacity) that caused the venue change?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Can believe some of the views still held by people in 2023. All tinged with a little bit of bigotry.

I for one am hoping the match is in WP rather than Tallaght. If this tie is still alive after Thursday we'll need as big a crowd as possible in the 'home' leg to try to see us through, and that would happen in WP. I couldn't care about flags or what happened in 1972.

You have to remember it's a Thursday night, and Belfast isn't much more than an hour up the road now with the improved road. Whereas 3.5hr to Dublin will surely affect the numbers willing to travel.

OK some Derry fans might refuse to set foot in WP, and that's their prerogative, but the majority would, and I'd say we'd get a huge crowd up.

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

kitwe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:56 pm Can anyone clarify was it only numbers (4500 capacity) that caused the venue change?
Ir was not, we don't meet the hospitality standards, the road infrastructure standards or enough car parking facilities. If you read what they need even with the MF finished we'd still be a long way off.

It's really a load of rubbish what they ask for but we are some way off

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

derry_bhoy17 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 pm
kitwe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:56 pm Can anyone clarify was it only numbers (4500 capacity) that caused the venue change?
Ir was not, we don't meet the hospitality standards, the road infrastructure standards or enough car parking facilities. If you read what they need even with the MF finished we'd still be a long way off.

It's really a load of rubbish what they ask for but we are some way off
I do think the standards Uefa set are not achievable for a lot of smaller clubs, who might get as far as us in the qualifying.

Looking at the stadia we played in in the Faroes and In Finland, would either of those have passed the tests for this round?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:12 am Looking at the stadia we played in in the Faroes and In Finland, would either of those have passed the tests for this round?
The one in the Faroes would have passed. It's used as the national stadium. It wasn't HB Torshavn's usual home ground.

KuPS have had to play their previous 3rd round and later home games in other stadiums.

As you say, the standards set can be difficult to achieve but it's something to aim towards.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Nige92 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:40 am
Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:12 am Looking at the stadia we played in in the Faroes and In Finland, would either of those have passed the tests for this round?
The one in the Faroes would have passed. It's used as the national stadium. It wasn't HB Torshavn's usual home ground.

KuPS have had to play their previous 3rd round and later home games in other stadiums.

As you say, the standards set can be difficult to achieve but it's something to aim towards.
Klaksvik from the Faroes have gone a stage further and are guaranteed Group Stage football now, which I don't believe the national stadim in Torshavn can accommodate. So will be interesting to see where they play those matches.

Expecting participants in a decent stage of European football to have a stadium with 4,000 seats is hardly a high bar or a big ask to be honest. There's a lot of money in European football these days - Derry will get something like €800,000+ directly from UEFA for our run so far, and that's before you factor in other income from tickets etc (obviously all gross of costs). If you give a football club that kind of money they'll just spurn it on players and wages. So I think it's good to effectively incentivise clubs to think about improving their faciltiies to what is a fairly basic standard. Even if they don;t reach Europe much again in future, it ensures there is a legacy left (e.g. Longford Town's stadium is only as good as it is because they were in Europe twice 15yrs ago)

Ireland is one of the richest countries in Europe. It's not UEFA's fault that no-one there has bothered to put money into decent basic football stadia.

This whole episode shines a light on the current inadequacies of the Brandywell, and strengthens our case for funding to finish the Mark Fraren Stand. I also think it strengthenes the case for the club to look at alternative homes too, as it shows that we can genuinely aspire to group stage football in the future - which even an expanded Brandywell won't be able to accommodate.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

stevebradley wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:45 pm Klaksvik from the Faroes have gone a stage further and are guaranteed Group Stage football now, which I don't believe the national stadim in Torshavn can accommodate. So will be interesting to see where they play those matches.
It's a bit much to expect a league team to have better facilities than the national team who will be playing their UEFA Euro Qualifiers there next month. It's also a bit much to lump everything into category 4 at 8000 seats and expect the team to have all the other facilities of a ground able to host the final which is also category 4 I believe. UEFA's masterplan of only having teams from the bigger nations not the likes of the tiny Faroes competing in the latter stages of European football has backfired on them. Will be interesting to see if they move them to another jurisdiction and have them out of pocket. If it's good enough for UEFA qualifiers it should be for a Euro Group Stage game.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

If they have to allow the Faroe team to move out of the Faroe Islands to play group games now, then surely they can refuse Derry the ability to play at Windsor?

(Other than the fact we nominated Tallaght at the offset).

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:13 pm If they have to allow the Faroe team to move out of the Faroe Islands to play group games now, then surely they can refuse Derry the ability to play at Windsor?

I don't think UEFA will be against us using Windsor Park, I think ultimately it will come down to whether Tobol can secure work permits/UK visas for their players

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:35 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:13 pm If they have to allow the Faroe team to move out of the Faroe Islands to play group games now, then surely they can refuse Derry the ability to play at Windsor?

I don't think UEFA will be against us using Windsor Park, I think ultimately it will come down to whether Tobol can secure work permits/UK visas for their players
This is more than likely the issue. Tobol apparently have a number of Russian players in their squad, who would presumably face greater difficulties securing a visa for the UK than they would for ROI ?

As an aside - I don't think this whole process has been handled at all well by the club. Eight days out from the home fixture and we still don't know where the game will be played. Tickets can't be sold yet, and will almost certainly not be available now until after the away leag has ended - the result of which could have a negative affect upon sales. Both home and away fans, and the opposition team, can't confirm travel or accommodation plans. The club has presumably assumed that we wouldn't have been allowed to play at Windsor Park - registering Tallaght Stadium instead with UEFA as our stadium for the latter stages of the competition. Now it turns out that we CAN use Windsor, and everything is left up in the air at the last minute as a result. We need to sharpen up as a club and get stuff like this sorted properly and well in-advance.

This episode also highlights to me the lack of sense in using the limited space that exists at the Brandywell to build a new stand at Brandywell Road that will contain no seating, and therefore won't be eligible for European games. Especially as the Chairman has stated publicly that he wants the club to get to group stage football in Europe - which will require 8,000 seats. It seems that the club intends to create a stadium that is only suitable for use in the LOI or the early stages of Europe. Thereby condemning us to playing fixtures in Belfast or Dublin if we even come close to fulfilling the Chairman's stated ambitions (I believe the last qualifying round before Group stage football requires a Category 4 stadium?). There needs to be a serious review of where we are going with Brandywell and Stadia moving forwards - so this sort of nonesense doesn't happen again, and we can ensure we are creating a home ground that is genuienly fit for our needs.

There needs to be a serious review within the club around this whole issue once the European run is over.