Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Tobol v Derry City Europa Conference League QR3 Leg 1 Match Thread

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:49 pm
rodgers wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:25 pm Think the price should have been lower. Only two factors I can think of are an attempt to recoup travelling costs to Kazakhstan and the possible cost of Tallaght.

So far, it looks as if we have only rented the West Stand which, if so, sort of undermines the UEFA insistence that we play in a ground with a minimum number of seats. We could well end up playing before a crowd less than what the Brandywell holds.
Sure if match had have been in Brandywell it would still have been £25.
But without the cost of travel, time off work, food etc for fans. And a bigger attendance for the club.

No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the club has screwed up by charging £25 for the Tallaght fixture. They seem to have learned nothing from the backlash in 2018 over the price of the Dinamo Minsk tickets.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:22 pm
rodgers wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:25 pm Think the price should have been lower. Only two factors I can think of are an attempt to recoup travelling costs to Kazakhstan and the possible cost of Tallaght.

So far, it looks as if we have only rented the West Stand which, if so, sort of undermines the UEFA insistence that we play in a ground with a minimum number of seats. We could well end up playing before a crowd less than what the Brandywell holds.
But without the cost of travel, time off work, food etc for fans. And a er attendance for the club.

No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the club has screwed up by charging £25 for the Tallaght fixture. They seem to have learned nothing from the backlash in 2018 over the price of the Dinamo Minsk tickets.
I'm responding to the point above as to why the cost of £25 was to cover the travelling costs to Kazakhstan and hire of Tallaght.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

The time has come for a bit of clever persuasion . Eufa are getting off on their “ letting smaller nations into Europe “ and at the same time discriminating against them . 3 grounds in the whole of Ireland can meet the criteria for this stage None in the Faros and as far as I know Gibraltar poss others . Now with a powerful figure like PO D on board let’s get Irish clubs North and South to lobby hard at Eufa for a sensible approach to this Eg lower the seating requirement and some of the other nonsense We have enough people and poss we could get a few big guns from the English Scottish and Welsh Fa to back us up. So instead of a crackpot idea to try Windsor let’s get them to get a lobby on to this committee at UEFA and spell out the nonsensical nature of these demands. I have a vested interest of course because at my age I don’t think in my remaining lifetime ,the Brandy or any other new build will ever match the criteria … and if it did …apart from poss a v few games will we ever fill the place all the rest of the season . So it will be our very own white elephant . Look Eufa need to be put right on what they are trying to push because it seems to be working totally against it’s avowed principles of letting smaller nations and that means CLUBS experience Europe in THEIR OWN CITY. We could possibly raise a powerful lobby let’s try to get them rounded up and get the nonsense changed .
Otherwise. My question Is Europe worth it?
Last edited by eugenio on Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Played really well the second half and if we go at them like that in next week we have a chance as from what I seen today there is nothing much to fear

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Great points Eugenio. Talking sense.

Franco

Post by Franco »

brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:12 pm
But without the cost of travel, time off work, food etc for fans. And a er attendance for the club.

I'm responding to the point above as to why the cost of £25 was to cover the travelling costs to Kazakhstan and hire of Tallaght.
Correct. How much does it cost to run a full time football club and hire a charter plane to fly to near most Eastern part in Europe?

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Free busses to Dublin and not just for the over 65s lol

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Franco wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:03 pm

Correct. How much does it cost to run a full time football club and hire a charter plane to fly to near most Eastern part in Europe?
How much does it save not to pay for the upkeep of ur "home ground" which u hire to play in ?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:27 pm The time has come for a bit of clever persuasion . Eufa are getting off on their “ letting smaller nations into Europe “ and at the same time discriminating against them . 3 grounds in the whole of Ireland can meet the criteria for this stage None in the Faros and as far as I know Gibraltar poss others . Now with a powerful figure like PO D on board let’s get Irish clubs North and South to lobby hard at Eufa for a sensible approach to this Eg lower the seating requirement and some of the other nonsense We have enough people and poss we could get a few big guns from the English Scottish and Welsh Fa to back us up. So instead of a crackpot idea to try Windsor let’s get them to get a lobby on to this committee at UEFA and spell out the nonsensical nature of these demands. I have a vested interest of course because at my age I don’t think in my remaining lifetime ,the Brandy or any other new build will ever match the criteria … and if it did …apart from poss a v few games will we ever fill the place all the rest of the season . So it will be our very own white elephant . Look Eufa need to be put right on what they are trying to push because it seems to be working totally against it’s avowed principles of letting smaller nations and that means CLUBS experience Europe in THEIR OWN CITY. We could possibly raise a powerful lobby let’s try to get them rounded up and get the nonsense changed .
Otherwise.
My question Is Europe worth it?
Come off it. Talk about taking one of the most positive moments in our recent history and turning it into a drama.

We are where we are. It's 17 odd years since we had this problem to resolve. Every other team in the league would take your arm off for the experience we've enjoyed to date not to mention the prize money and here we are all moaning about one thing or another. Yes, maybe we were short sighted, ill prepared, caught off guard etc etc but we are a small time set up playing a in a small time league and have found ourselves with a great opportunity. We've been kept afloat by POD for many years and only recently been in a position to strengthen. Try and enjoy it people please. It wont last too much longer.
Last edited by marcoloco on Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Is Europe worth it? If we end up with around £million in the bank Absobloodyloutely!

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We have hired 3 charter planes, one for each round.
I'm sure they don't come cheap.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Keyser Soze wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Fully agree and the exact point i was making. Uefa don't care, the price of tickets, flights, busses etc. I can't wait for Dublin next week, i can afford it. Just saying make it easy for people and stick on a few free busses for families to go down, the wanes are still on holidays

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

The match will be shown live on RTE

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:06 pm
Fully agree and the exact point i was making. Uefa don't care, the price of tickets, flights, busses etc. I can't wait for Dublin next week, i can afford it. Just saying make it easy for people and stick on a few free busses for families to go down, the wanes are still on holidays
What do people think the prize money is for? Out expenses are covered and then some. Then there's the luck of the draw too - but no one is out of pocket playing in Europe. Some make more than others and some cash in big time (Dundalk and Rovers come to mind). People forget that the ECL was set up to help smaller nations and smaller clubs get a slice of the European action. It's easier to progress than the old model and thus easier to make a profit.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Do you honestly think a different price would have beem charged if we hadn't drawn a Kazakh club though?

We've charged £25 for every European home game since 2018, regardless of the opponents. Even if we'd faced an Irish League club it would still have bene priced at £25.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

eugenio wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:27 pm The time has come for a bit of clever persuasion . Eufa are getting off on their “ letting smaller nations into Europe “ and at the same time discriminating against them . 3 grounds in the whole of Ireland can meet the criteria for this stage
That's Ireland - one of the wealthiest nations in Europe.

If it chooses not to spend that wealth on sports faciltiies, is that UEFA's fault ?
eugenio wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:27 pm Otherwise. My question Is Europe worth it?
The participation money, the player experince, the media profile, the buzz, the ability to attract better players etc etc etc.

How is Europe NOT worth it?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:14 pm
dcbhoy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:06 pm

What do people think the prize money is for? Out expenses are covered and then some. Then there's the luck of the draw too - but no one is out of pocket playing in Europe. Some make more than others and some cash in big time (Dundalk and Rovers come to mind). People forget that the ECL was set up to help smaller nations and smaller clubs get a slice of the European action. It's easier to progress than the old model and thus easier to make a profit.
Head on nail.

People going on about the cost of travlling to Kazakhstan like the club is out of pocket and we're going to have to start passing the buckets around again to pay for it all :lol:

We'll walk away from European participation this year with more money in the bank than we would get for winning the league for probably the next 4 or 5 seasons in a row.

There's is genuinely some crazy talk going on around all of this. Enjoy the ride whilst it last folks, and watch the club pocket the cash and attract better players as a result of it all :geek:

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

The club is out of pocket paying for the expenses to the Faroes, Finland and Kazakhstan. European prize money for this season will not be distributed until next June through the FAI. Until that money is paid we have the begging bowl under P'OD's nose again.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:09 pm The match will be shown live on RTE
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/08 ... ve-on-rte/

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »