Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
footman
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Tobol QR3 2nd Leg Match Thread

Post by footman »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:35 am Surely that will hit attendance hard.
Probably will , but at least I get to see it now as I had no chance getting the time off work

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

I know we paid "£25 for the other matches which is fine, on this occasion playing in Dublin, looking for a big crowd, it doesn't entice any neutrals along. Would have made more money charging everyone a tenner

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

dcbhoy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:31 am I know we paid "£25 for the other matches which is fine, on this occasion playing in Dublin, looking for a big crowd, it doesn't entice any neutrals along. Would have made more money charging everyone a tenner
I think you're overestimating how many neutrals would be interested in going to this game. Especially with the game being free on RTE and full round of fixtures on the Friday.

If the West Stand of 3000 sells out at £25 then that's almost as much money as you'd make selling the whole stadium out at £10 a ticket

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hope it's a different Ref.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:38 am
dcbhoy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:31 am I know we paid "£25 for the other matches which is fine, on this occasion playing in Dublin, looking for a big crowd, it doesn't entice any neutrals along. Would have made more money charging everyone a tenner
I think you're overestimating how many neutrals would be interested in going to this game. Especially with the game being free on RTE and full round of fixtures on the Friday.

If the West Stand of 3000 sells out at £25 then that's almost as much money as you'd make selling the whole stadium out at £10 a ticket
I think there is a sensible point between the 2 extremes of £25 and £10 that the club should have aimed for here. Somewhere in the region of £18-£20.

I know of a few fans of other LOI cliubs who would make an effort to watch clubs in Europe regularly, but are unlikely to now. I've been to watch other LOI and IL clubs in Europe before (Larne this year, Pats, Crusaders and Linfield last year, Rovers and Cliftonville previously) and you would see a decent number of people wearing kit from other clubs at the LOI club fixtures. A reaonably-priced game would definitely attract a few hundred neutrals (though I accept that the game being on TV would dent the appeal).

Derry is already the most expensive club on the island in terms of ticket prices - despite also being the most disadvantaged city. We've managed to get away with that so far because demand levels have been high over the last few years, and capacity restricted. But once the new terrace at the Brandywell Road end opens the club will have to tread a lot more carefully over ticket prices IMO. An extra couple of thousand tickets are unlikely to sell out for every game - and the increased capacity will also reduce the urgency in people buying tickets over all (Derry folk have a natural tendency to be last-minute). I don't expect the club to reduce prices once the new terrace is open, but I would plead with them to not increase them any further for a good few years as a result (which over time will be the equivalent of a reduction anyway). Maybe also consider introducing different Categries and price ranges for fixtures, so that e.g. UCD and Drogheda fixtures are priced more reasonably than Rovers or Harps games are.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 am The club is out of pocket paying for the expenses to the Faroes, Finland and Kazakhstan. European prize money for this season will not be distributed until next June through the FAI. Until that money is paid we have the begging bowl under P'OD's nose again.
The point is that payments received from European football cover the cost of participation. And then some. The fact we don't have sufficient funds in the bank to cover these expenses is a separate issue.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:48 pm

I think there is a sensible point between the 2 extremes of £25 and £10 that the club should have aimed for here. Somewhere in the region of £18-£20.

I know of a few fans of other LOI cliubs who would make an effort to watch clubs in Europe regularly, but are unlikely to now. I've been to watch other LOI and IL clubs in Europe before (Larne this year, Pats, Crusaders and Linfield last year, Rovers and Cliftonville previously) and you would see a decent number of people wearing kit from other clubs at the LOI club fixtures. A reaonably-priced game would definitely attract a few hundred neutrals (though I accept that the game being on TV would dent the appeal).

Derry is already the most expensive club on the island in terms of ticket prices - despite also being the most disadvantaged city. We've managed to get away with that so far because demand levels have been high over the last few years, and capacity restricted. But once the new terrace at the Brandywell Road end opens the club will have to tread a lot more carefully over ticket prices IMO. An extra couple of thousand tickets are unlikely to sell out for every game - and the increased capacity will also reduce the urgency in people buying tickets over all (Derry folk have a natural tendency to be last-minute). I don't expect the club to reduce prices once the new terrace is open, but I would plead with them to not increase them any further for a good few years as a result (which over time will be the equivalent of a reduction anyway). Maybe also consider introducing different Categries and price ranges for fixtures, so that e.g. UCD and Drogheda fixtures are priced more reasonably than Rovers or Harps games are.
Not expecting them to reduce prices. But there will be an extra standing ticket available that is cheaper than seating. Thus giving fans more choice and helping younger fans who like to stand and will benefit from lower prices.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 am The club is out of pocket paying for the expenses to the Faroes, Finland and Kazakhstan. European prize money for this season will not be distributed until next June through the FAI. Until that money is paid we have the begging bowl under P'OD's nose again.
The point is that payments received from European football cover the cost of participation. And then some. The fact we don't have sufficient funds in the bank to cover these expenses is a separate issue.
As a result the club tries to find ways to make the money up in the short term where it can, such as trying to justify the price of the match ticket. It all comes back to the line that has featured in the accounts presented to shareholders every year, that our finances are not sustainable, we lean too heavily on PO'D and need to be more self sufficient.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:11 pm

Not expecting them to reduce prices. But there will be an extra standing ticket available that is cheaper than seating. Thus giving fans more choice and helping younger fans who like to stand and will benefit from lower prices.
Is standing allowed in European games?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:34 pm
As a result the club tries to find ways to make the money up in the short term where it can, such as trying to justify the price of the match ticket. It all comes back to the line that has featured in the accounts presented to shareholders every year, that our finances are not sustainable, we lean too heavily on PO'D and need to be more self sufficient.
And the only means of turning a profit is regular participation in European football...

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Make the most of it while it lasts,not often Derry gets so far in Europe don't take the good out of it by complaining this is sucess to our club more money to sign good players,I know it is not cheap to follow our team but if you want to go and afford it go if you can't afford watch it on RTE .

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:34 pm
Which is all true.

However - the club's approach to dealing with that appears to be to push for limited increases in capacity and then charge relatively high ticket prices to those who go. Which will not provide the income needed to be competiitve and sustainabke over the long term in Irish football either.

I'm a broken record on this, but only a revolution in the club's ability to generate income will give us a chance of being both genuinely succesful and sustainable longer term (and even that isn't giuaranteed). And for me that means having our own stadium with a more appropriate capacity, where we control everything and can maximise both matchday and non-matchday income. Then instead of fans arriving at the ground just before a game and leaving straight afterwards - with the unlucky few left to join a big queue inside for a very average burger van, or struggle to squeeze into a tiny and soulless 'bar' - we instead make match nights a proper event. Have a range of food stalls and drink options around the ground. Put on live music in our own bar(s). Use it all to entice people down to the ground much earlier, and to then hold on to them for longer after the games. Make our home stadium a match night destination for the evening, and not just somewhere to spend 2hrs for a a game. And then look to the other 13 days between matches to also maximise the amount of revenue and community connection we can generate from the stadium. In short - All the things we can neither do, control nor benefit from now, because it's not our stadium.

The inherent limitations of the Brandywell will 100% stunt Derry City's growth as a club longer-term - and therefby its financial viability/sustainability. And we're already starting to see the early signs of that now. Putting a cautionary line into the club's accounts every year is not going to resolve that.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:51 pm

Not currently. There is a trial of it in a few countries, but it's the 'safe stadning'/rail seat version, rather than what is proposed to be built at the Brandywell Road end.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Found this information online, and might help out those planning to drive down themselves, and may save them from a fine or a clamping.

The stadium car park is reserved for members and disabled badge holders and in the interest of maintaining good community relationships, we would ask you to avoid parking in residential area where there will be Gardai on patrol. For those travelling by car, we recommend parking in The Square Shopping Centre where a “Pay at the Exit” system is in place. You can park for up to three hours for €1 and each hour thereafter will be charged at €2. Payment can be made directly at the exit barrier by tapping your credit or debit card. If paying cash, please visit a pay station before returning to your car. Supporters may also use the free public car park located behind the Civic Theatre which is accessible from Belgard Square North. Please do not park in the Arena / Woodies car park as you may be clamped.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:50 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:51 pm

Not currently. There is a trial of it in a few countries, but it's the 'safe stadning'/rail seat version, rather than what is proposed to be built at the Brandywell Road end.
If deemed required in the future the new stand can revert to seating. It's got the same profile as the MF stand. Future proofing it at the design phases gives us the option in future to offer standing or seating.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

The thing about ticket prices that most seem to forget is although Derry (along with cork) is most disadvantaged due to their location, but at least cork have a decent road to Dublin, Derry is the only club in the league that have to pay 20pc VAT on their ticket sales as sports clubs are exempt down south hence why clones is used by the GAA for Ulster finals.

Even taking that into account not sure what the club could do for this match as if they reduced the price people will be moaning they were overcharged for previous matches- maybe a discount code for season ticket holders is a possibility in future years whereby a match is taken to Dublin. It's too late now anyway but something they should plan ahead for in case another scenario arises in future years.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

Does anyone know if the rte player will work abroad for Thursdays game?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Big_Red wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:21 pm Does anyone know if the rte player will work abroad for Thursdays game?
Don't think it will.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Anyone heard any ticket sale figures mentioned?