Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic FAI Cup 2nd Round Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic FAI Cup 2nd Round Match Thread

Post by johnm »

How much penalty practise will be put in between now and our next cup match.
Say 10 penalties per day on a 5 day week up to December should mount up to quite a picture and a league table on how more comfortable they get, displayed as the weeks pass.
If all of the panel do it over 16 weeks, that would be some practice for Brian and understudies never mind the takers.
24 days until next home match.
LOITV for us, stay at home spectators. I wonder will greengo be commentating for any of them.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

It has taken a few days but I think I am starting to feel less aggrieved by the outcome of the match. You couldn't have talked to me yesterday. Even walked past Shane McEleney in the town and barely made eye contact because I didn't want to talk about the game and I reckon he didn't either.

People point to the lack of a clinical striker, and I do agree, but what chances did we create on Sunday? Pat's held a good off the ball shape that Derry at times played the slow tippy tappy passes backwards and sideways hoping they'd break ranks. They rarely did. Our best chance came from a Patching free kick. Alternative to that approach is to go round them but for whatever reason we played McMullan on the opposite wing that he has featured on since signing. Both Kavanagh and Duffy like to play that way but McMullan's directness on the right had been a huge part of our attack since July. He has come on and changed games and he seemed less than in the role he played on Sunday and he struggled to get round Curtis.

That said, when we did deliver a final ball we never had the numbers to attack the cross. McGonigle was present but was picked up by two centre backs, only once he was lucky enough to get away and head one at the keeper. O'Reilly tried arriving late but never hit the areas the ball landed. The opposing winger to the cross was present to chase the second ball once the ball left the box but we need at least three players to attack the front post, back post and the penalty spot in anticipation of the delivery. We rarely do.

Pat's I thought would attempt to be more cut throat to avail of City's fatigue but our players looked head and shoulders fitter than most of their starting 11. Had I walked in to the game and was then told Pat's were currently second in the league I would have thought you were either joking or come to the decision that the standard of the league is pants. To be fair, the standard in terms of entertainment and attacking football has been nose diving for a while. Pat's approach looked to be that of a league game, go away from home and just don't lose.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:55 pm It has taken a few days but I think I am starting to feel less aggrieved by the outcome of the match. You couldn't have talked to me yesterday. Even walked past Shane McEleney in the town and barely made eye contact because I didn't want to talk about the game and I reckon he didn't either.

People point to the lack of a clinical striker, and I do agree, but what chances did we create on Sunday? Pat's held a good off the ball shape that Derry at times played the slow tippy tappy passes backwards and sideways hoping they'd break ranks. They rarely did. Our best chance came from a Patching free kick. Alternative to that approach is to go round them but for whatever reason we played McMullan on the opposite wing that he has featured on since signing. Both Kavanagh and Duffy like to play that way but McMullan's directness on the right had been a huge part of our attack since July. He has come on and changed games and he seemed less than in the role he played on Sunday and he struggled to get round Curtis.

That said, when we did deliver a final ball we never had the numbers to attack the cross. McGonigle was present but was picked up by two centre backs, only once he was lucky enough to get away and head one at the keeper. O'Reilly tried arriving late but never hit the areas the ball landed. The opposing winger to the cross was present to chase the second ball once the ball left the box but we need at least three players to attack the front post, back post and the penalty spot in anticipation of the delivery. We rarely do.

Pat's I thought would attempt to be more cut throat to avail of City's fatigue but our players looked head and shoulders fitter than most of their starting 11. Had I walked in to the game and was then told Pat's were currently second in the league I would have thought you were either joking or come to the decision that the standard of the league is pants. To be fair, the standard in terms of entertainment and attacking football has been nose diving for a while. Pat's approach looked to be that of a league game, go away from home and just don't lose.
A balanced opinion. But Pats are currently 2nd and into the next round of the Cup. All this despite not having the same squad depth, fitness levels or quality. Turning that back on us - how did it come to this? Were a team set up not to lose even if that means not winning. That's all well and good away from home but our home performances this season are poor and often dull. Throw into the mix 2 x home cup home defeats in Europe and FAI and you begin to wonder why are they playing within themselves. Bit like Spurs under previous managers then Ange turns up and suddenly its a different mindset. We need a bit of that.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

That sounds like you are advocating a managerial change.
1 defeat in the last 11, (in Kazakhstan), which included 6 Euro games with 7 goals scored and 3 wins. 5 points behind shams with a game against ucd in hand and shams to come to the Brandy. 10 games to go and the league title in our own hands with a full squad available (bar Whelan & Harkin). Of all the moaners on this site how many would have put us in touching distance at this stage? With mindsets and moaners like some of our fans no wonder we have been perennial losers these last 20 years. The constant snipping is sad and negativity is sad.

Let’s see where it all stands the next time Pats bring their bus to Derry…….Citytilidie

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:57 pm That sounds like you are advocating a managerial change.
1 defeat in the last 11, (in Kazakhstan), which included 6 Euro games with 7 goals scored and 3 wins. 5 points behind shams with a game against ucd in hand and shams to come to the Brandy. 10 games to go and the league title in our own hands with a full squad available (bar Whelan & Harkin). Of all the moaners on this site how many would have put us in touching distance at this stage? With mindsets and moaners like some of our fans no wonder we have been perennial losers these last 20 years. The constant snipping is sad and negativity is sad.

Let’s see where it all stands the next time Pats bring their bus to Derry…….Citytilidie
100% NOT ADVOCATING FOR A MANAGERIAL CHANGE.

Its an observation. Constructive criticism. We've come a long way very fast under Higgins. But that does not mean he's beyond fans assessing what they witnesses. We're doing grand but no reason why we couldn't be doing great. Always room for improvement.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I think a lot of teams play like this in the league these days, including Derry. It might be one reason why the quality of the league this year doesn't feel very high.

Teams are afraid to take risks and the managers come out afterwards jabbering on about controlling possession and looking comfortable.

I thought we had changed things a bit with Europe, by scoring a few more goals and going at teams. But maybe that can partly be explained by the European teams being more adventurous than the teams we face at home.

I also believe the 10 team league is a factor in this where games can get cagey and boring from overfamiliarity.

Last time at Dalymount, we won 1 0, by playing with no striker against 10 men for the majority of the match and nearly eneded up drawing. People will rightly point to the result in that game but I believe that our players are better than Bohs or Pats players. Hopefully we take the game to them this Friday.

It's also hard to ignore the recent exertions in Europe as a factor in the Pat game though.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

All fans snipe.

If you read the Irish football forums, Rovers fans are ripping into Bradley too, and they are top of the league and perennial champions.

It's what we do, especially when we think we could be better if allowed to play a bit more. There is massive talent in this team, let them have a go. This was the weakest Rovers team, and league in general, in a few years and it would be a shame if we didn't have a good go at it. I just think the modern tactic of managing games, controlling possession etc is holding us back.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:24 pm All fans snipe.

If you read the Irish football forums, Rovers fans are ripping into Bradley too, and they are top of the league and perennial champions.

It's what we do, especially when we think we could be better if allowed to play a bit more. There is massive talent in this team, let them have a go. This was the weakest Rovers team, and league in general, in a few years and it would be a shame if we didn't have a good go at it. I just think the modern tactic of managing games, controlling possession etc is holding us back.

This is in your opinion. It is far from all fans. Certainly not mine. And I’m sorry but all fans don’t snipe. Only supporters with a certain mindset. Usually those who think they know better than everyone else and specifically the person who’s job it is to manage.

Like a previous poster pointed out how spurs appointing a new manager changed the mindset and then denies the obvious inference that makes.

These people will never be happy.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

This is in your opinion. It is far from all fans. Certainly not mine. And I’m sorry but all fans don’t snipe. Only supporters with a certain mindset. Usually those who think they know better than everyone else and specifically the person who’s job it is to manage.

Like a previous poster pointed out how spurs appointing a new manager changed the mindset and then denies the obvious inference that makes.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Perhaps snipe was the wrong word to use?

You're saying that some fans never complain? Well that's also as bad as moaning all the time.

If you never moan about performances, or question tactics, then you're a fool. There's no manager or player or team who doesn't make decisions that fans disagree with.

Constructive criticism is good.
Last edited by Keyser Soze on Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

johnm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:03 pm LOITV for us, stay at home spectators. I wonder will greengo be commentating for any of them.
We have four more home games left this season, all to Dublin opposition.

Shamrock Rovers = 15th September (I think virgin or RTE are covering this)
UCD - 29th September (LOITV)
Shelbourne - 20th October (LOITV)
St. Patricks Athletic - 3rd November (Unless we are in with a chance of winning the league then it'll probably be LOITV)

So all being well, I'm available for 3 out of the last 4 home games ;)

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:11 pm

So you didn't take for face value my response to the question. Fair enough.

Whats the point of a forum then if its not to share opinions and views.

I think the team are playing it safe and i'd like to see them take more risks especially at home with the crowd behind them.

You appear to suggest that the manager is fixed, closed to different tactics and new styles of play. Unable to change the mindset. That's a bit harsh on him if you ask me.

But you are welcome to your opinion. As is everyone else.