Tobol v Derry City Europa Conference League QR3 Leg 1 Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Re: Tobol v Derry City Europa Conference League QR3 Leg 1 Match Thread

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Well done lads, was a tough game.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Great game and could have drawn with a bit of luck. We've nothing to fear in Dublin.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Would have liked to have seen Dummigan involved. Is he fit?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Some shocking refereeing decisions, looks like their awful all over the world.

burnfootbridiec

Post by burnfootbridiec »

Decent game. Thought the ref let it flow, some hard tackles, some cute but if they were given against I'd be moaning. Maybe 1 or 2 but overall what I see every week in loi I'll take everyday. Nothing to fear and I would be confident next week considering they have to make the same trip Derry did . RAWA!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

burnfootbridiec wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:11 pm Decent game. Thought the ref let it flow, some hard tackles, some cute but if they were given against I'd be moaning. Maybe 1 or 2 but overall what I see every week in loi I'll take everyday. Nothing to fear and I would be confident next week considering they have to make the same trip Derry did . RAWA!
Did you see the 2 footer on Adam O'Reilly? shocker, should have been a straight red.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:09 pm
burnfootbridiec wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:11 pm Decent game. Thought the ref let it flow, some hard tackles, some cute but if they were given against I'd be moaning. Maybe 1 or 2 but overall what I see every week in loi I'll take everyday. Nothing to fear and I would be confident next week considering they have to make the same trip Derry did . RAWA!
Did you see the 2 footer on Adam O'Reilly? shocker, should have been a straight red.
If VAR was available you'd have to think that was close to a red. Ref clearly didn't have a good enough angle to make that call.

Agreed that overall the ref was fairly good. Not going to get 100% right

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Really solid performance from us. After all that travel, against a higher ranked side it was a good showing.

Last 25 minutes we looked a bit ragged although they didn't really cause much concern. Felt McMullan and Diallo should have come off around 65 mins as both were visibly tired. Can only assume Dummigan couldn't be risked.

We're certainly in with a chance in the 2nd leg!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:29 pm
If VAR was available you'd have to think that was close to a red. Ref clearly didn't have a good enough angle to make that call.

Not sure you could say the ref was fairly good after he brandished 9 yellow cards , let a 2 footed challenge on O'Reilly go unpunished and booked Patching for simulation when he was fouled in the area.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Not sure you could say the ref was fairly good after he brandished 9 yellow cards , let a 2 footed challenge on O'Reilly go unpunished and booked Patching for simulation when he was fouled in the area.
I felt most of the yellow cards were fair enough. Some for cynical fouls. He kept control of the game. Of course he missed a few. As I say, refs will never get everything we as fans think he should. For me, Patching was looking for that penalty

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:50 pm
brandyball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:15 pm

I felt most of the yellow cards were fair enough. Some for cynical fouls. He kept control of the game. Of course he missed a few. As I say, refs will never get everything we as fans think he should. For me, Patching was looking for that penalty
You can forgive a ref for not giving a penalty but the challenge on O"Reilly looks worse every time you see watch it. The challenge was right in front of the ref.

The Drive commentators mentioned he reffed the Glentoran game earlier in the competition and that he loves a yellow card not on this occasion especially when the card should have been red which makes him a bad ref in my opinion.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:00 am
You can forgive a ref for not giving a penalty but the challenge on O"Reilly looks worse every time you see watch it. The challenge was right in front of the ref.

The Drive commentators mentioned he reffed the Glentoran game earlier in the competition and that he loves a yellow card not on this occasion especially when the card should have been red which makes him a bad ref in my opinion.
We're in agreement that it was more likely than not a red. I think we've become used to VAR stepping in in these situations to help out. I still feel there's room for human error in the game and the challenge on O'Reilly was one of those occasions. I don't feel that makes someone 'bad' at their job when they've gotten the vast majority of other decisions correct and kept the game in control and flowing at a steady pace.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:17 am
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:00 am

We're in agreement that it was more likely than not a red. I think we've become used to VAR stepping in in these situations to help out. I still feel there's room for human error in the game and the challenge on O'Reilly was one of those occasions. I don't feel that makes someone 'bad' at their job when they've gotten the vast majority of other decisions correct and kept the game in control and flowing at a steady pace.
A good referee goes about his business without being noticed, this guy made it all about him, says it all when the match commentators discuss him BEGORE the game.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

Honestly, I'm not getting all the positivity here. The 3-3 in Kuopio and the 1-0 last night were good results and we had some good attacking phases. But I think overall, the individual performances have been very poor. There are many players letting Higgins down big time. We have boys who can't stop the ball, can't pass the ball. I was fuming watching that last night.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:04 am Honestly, I'm not getting all the positivity here. The 3-3 in Kuopio and the 1-0 last night were good results and we had some good attacking phases. But I think overall, the individual performances have been very poor. There are many players letting Higgins down big time. We have boys who can't stop the ball, can't pass the ball. I was fuming watching that last night.

Players had to travel the length of Europe to play this game over the last few days. Performance wise I felt we put up a decent showing. Made ourselves hard to beat, battled hard and managed to get out of there with the tie still winnable. That personally is what the majority of fans would have asked for. Yes the players tired as the game went on, With Diallo miss placing passes on quite a few occassions during a 15 minute spell in the second half but overall we where solid.

The pitch was absolutely horrendous and wouldnt have done any of the players any good considering they sat on a flight for 12 - 14 hours on Monday. If that doesnt sap your legs then I dont know what will.

The goal conceded from my perspective came from Higgins at half time telling McMullan to help support Boyce and dont allow him to be left 1 on 1. Hence why he left his man and unfortunately nobody got across to pick up the eventual goalscorer. If, buts and maybes moments before though Duffy had of hit the target or made the keeper work then we wouldnt have been in that position for the counter and for them to score.

Overall though...Game is on. Lets look forward to a big night hopefully in Tobol. That crowd are not any better than us.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

Sure, fair points and I know I'm being a bit harsh. But it was very similar against KuPS last week and no-one can complain about the pitch or the flights for that. We'll need Dummigan and Fats from the start (fingers crossed) and the performance from the 2nd half against KuPS at the Brandy, over the whole game.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:04 am Honestly, I'm not getting all the positivity here. The 3-3 in Kuopio and the 1-0 last night were good results and we had some good attacking phases. But I think overall, the individual performances have been very poor. There are many players letting Higgins down big time. We have boys who can't stop the ball, can't pass the ball. I was fuming watching that last night.
Posts like this are why many stay away from this forum.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

adydcfc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:45 pm
Posts like this are why many stay away from this forum.
Seriously. Seriously so Pauli has no right to express an opinion Then close the Forum Another post analysis tried to apportion blame for their magnificent goal Look we all have opinions let’s rejoice in that I came off Forum for a while not because of people like Pauli honest and upfront but snide people who to be totally honest did not read the post in its context So Pauli stick to your guns my man we have had to watch a lot of v v boring football over 2 seasons A couple of Euro games wont gloss over that