HB Torshavn v Derry City UECL 1st QR Leg 1 Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: HB Torshavn v Derry City UECL 1st QR Leg 1 Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:35 am
johnm wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:06 pm Wasn’t a entertaining match, but when I tried Drive 105 I got a bit more enthusiasm from their commentators who kept up with play.
I did the same and I am glad you did too. Worth reminding everyone that those involved in the broadcast tonight were there at their own cost as volunteers.
Colin Green and Peter Hutton were broadcasting from Derry.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:15 am
johnm wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:06 pm Wasn’t a entertaining match, but when I tried Drive 105 I got a bit more enthusiasm from their commentators who kept up with play.
I did the same and I am glad you did too. Worth reminding everyone that those involved in the broadcast tonight were there at their own cost as volunteers.
The boys done great in what was a flat game / atmosphere.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:33 am

I know they did I want criticising them, I was responding to the point about the broadcasters travelling there at their own expense.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:35 am
marcoloco wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:33 am

I know they did I want criticising them, I was responding to the point about the broadcasters travelling there at their own expense.
Of course not. No one is criticising them. Different channels do different coverage - something for everyone!

I personally enjoy Radio Foyle for league games and Liam Coyle's input.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I read that Higgins went with a 3 4 3 at the start because another Faroese team beat HB that way recently. If so, I find it a bit depressing that the manager should think that he needs to adjust his tactics like that against a team of that level. But that is something that afflicts the 'modern' manager and the LOI generally.

I think Derry should have enough to beat them. They tired badly towards the end and were uncomfortable when we took the game to them. The amount of chances conceded was worrying though.

I'd like to see Coll start next week and I thought Mullen was pretty anonymous.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:29 am I read that Higgins went with a 3 4 3 at the start because another Faroese team beat HB that way recently. If so, I find it a bit depressing that the manager should think that he needs to adjust his tactics like that against a team of that level. But that is something that afflicts the 'modern' manager and the LOI generally.

I think Derry should have enough to beat them. They tired badly towards the end and were uncomfortable when we took the game to them. The amount of chances conceded was worrying though.

That's what I don't understand. He's joins the club one day and starts such an important game the next. For me, that's a fault of the manager not the player. No wonder he was hauled off at half time.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Any word on mcjannett's injury?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:47 am
rodgers wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:29 am I read that Higgins went with a 3 4 3 at the start because another Faroese team beat HB that way recently. If so, I find it a bit depressing that the manager should think that he needs to adjust his tactics like that against a team of that level. But that is something that afflicts the 'modern' manager and the LOI generally.

That's what I don't understand. He's joins the club one day and starts such an important game the next. For me, that's a fault of the manager not the player. No wonder he was hauled off at half time.
What does that say about Jamie McGonagle and Cian Kavanagh?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:11 am

For me Jamie McGonagle starts that game every day of the week. We dont score many goals with our tactics and we score even less when he's sat on the bench.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 am

For me Jamie McGonagle starts that game every day of the week. We dont score many goals with our tactics and we score even less when he's sat on the bench.
Hopefully Ruadhri will listen to his own advice on Thursday and really go for it. I think we were set up not to lose and then finish the job @ The Brandy.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:45 am
marcoloco wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 am

Hopefully Ruadhri will listen to his own advice on Thursday and really go for it. I think we were set up not to lose and then finish the job @ The Brandy.
Set up initially not to lose... which resulted in a slow start. We made them look great for that first 20 minutes. We play such a slow game at times, sideways and backwards, that it gives the opposition time to regroup. Then we are restricted to long distance shots which more often than not don't bother the keeper.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Keyser Soze wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:31 pm
brandyball wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:07 pm What's the chances of us going for it next Thursday and maybe play 2 up front?
No hope.
Pretty much that. When they did attack they got 4 or 5 bodies in the box quickly. All you need is for something to drop for them and you are chasing the game big time. They were well drilled, organised and fit. Little chance of anything other than a cautious approach imo……

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:07 pm What's the chances of us going for it next Thursday and maybe play 2 up front?
No hope.
Pretty much that. When they did attack they got 4 or 5 bodies in the box quickly. All you need is for something to drop for them and you are chasing the game big time. They were well drilled, organised and fit. Little chance of anything other than a cautious approach imo……

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:31 am
No hope.
Fit you say? They were flagging in last 15-20 minutes. Think we finished the stronger.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Surprised at such a small crowd when they normally play before crowds of 6000!
Must bring the radio to listen to 105 next week and a full house.
They looked to have Derry stretched in the first half.
The LOI TV commentators said they play before 6-7,000 normally, but that can't be right surely? The enitre population of Torshavn is only 13,000, and there are 2 clubs n the city. The Faroes as a whole has only 53,000, with other teams in toher parts of the islands. I'd be massively impressed if they can get every other man, woman and child in Torhavn along to one of their games, but it doesn't sound plausible. Maybe they stuck an extra zero on the number by accident? :D

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It was a fairly poor game if we're honest, against a team we should have beaten.

Felt like a lot of our league games over the last 2 seasons, where we dominated possession but created very few real chances with it. And it reinforced what we all know and everyone can see = that we need a solid striker/goal poacher.

If we don't beat these guys at home then it's genuinely time up for Higgins IMO. The money for progressing is too big to not make beating a weak team in Europe compulsory.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Yeah it was like a lot of our league games, lots of possession but no end product. While they had a good opening 15 minutes thought there were poor after that and were there for the taking. Hopefully our poor home form doesn't continue next week.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

I dont usually reply to comments about the commentary on here but feel I need to get a point across.

I was asked to commentate on the game via a stream from their end. I didnt travel to the game but did give up my time to do my best and commentate on a grainy video feed where I could hardly see the numbers on the players backs. Peter Hutton assisted me as co-com. We had no crowd sound either.
Now I ask you this johnM... Gone put an old match on youtube thats not in HD and try and commentate on the play.

My stat about the stadium was that it holds 6000... The stadium they were playing in last night was the national stadium not their own... I'm not paid for what I do and I'm no Martin Tyler but I try and be as honest as I can... What I can promise is that next week the commentary should be a bit better as we will be able to see clearly whats in front of us without the camera tracking the ball...

Glad for those that tuned in though, be it firestick or paid viewing.

As a side note, I think that Derry will win this on Thursday night...

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

stevebradley wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:34 pm It was a fairly poor game if we're honest, against a team we should have beaten.

Felt like a lot of our league games over the last 2 seasons, where we dominated possession but created very few real chances with it. And it reinforced what we all know and everyone can see = that we need a solid striker/goal poacher.

If we don't beat these guys at home then it's genuinely time up for Higgins IMO. The money for progressing is too big to not make beating a weak team in Europe compulsory.
Totally agree SB.
Thursday night, we MUST progress. And we should, as they are poor. If we get knocked out, and we lose out on that money, you'd have to question how we go forward.

Have to laugh at "the gloves are off" comment, from the most conservative manager in the league.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Greengo you did alright last night the game was flat not much to get excited about not your fault only commenting on what you saw,keep up good work.