Higgins- Barnsley

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Higgins- Barnsley

Post by Neutrino »

Marty
First Team
First Team

Re: Higgins- Barnsley

Post by Marty »

Keep Paddy in until Stephen gets sacked 8-)

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

There'll be plenty of happy people on here with this news!

You would have to think that this was part of reason why McLaughlin was brought in. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Agree with Marty, get Stephen Kenny in when he's available! :lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Wonder how much Compensation we'll get.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

When Paddy came in Michael Duff was still Barnsley manager and they had just, if not about to, confirm their place in the League One playoffs. Paddy being brought in and this Barnsley post are in no way related.

It is not the first time he has had a conversation about a job in England and if he stays he will no doubt be linked with another post. Barnsley though,last season played some really attractive, competitive football (Second Leg of the Playoff withstanding) and if he employs the same tactics as he does here, Barnsley fans will be less forgiving as Derry fans are.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Bad timing coming up to our Euro game, surely got to affect the preparations?

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I think and hope he stays but wouldn't blame him for going, when there's "fans" wanting him out already. Hasn't even been three full seasons with us and has had two (potential) offers from England. I think Bradley has only had one in that timeframe; Duffer none. Anyone else? No.

Took over when we were bottom of the table and got us Europe. Then a 2nd place finish and the cup. This year we topped the table for a significant time, before injuries to key players. We're still only two games off Rovers with 12 to play.

Be careful what you wish for.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

He's had an impressive impact no doubt about it. The highlight was surely the Cup Final. But aside from that day we are not a team that scores many goals or create many chances. That's something he needs to work on where ever he goes. Important to be solid and build from that foundation but this season we need to be careful as the league is stronger with Pats, Bohs and Dundalk all in the mix too.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

I hope he stays and finishes what he has started. Lest we forget we were bottom of the league with 2 points from 18 going one direction only. Two European qualifications, a league runners up, an FAI Cup and still all to play for this season. Can only see it being a negative if he goes at this stage of the season. But if he has already gone through an interview process then the money has to be on him going if Barnsley are offering….

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:08 pm He's had an impressive impact no doubt about it. The highlight was surely the Cup Final. But aside from that day we are not a team that scores many goals or create many chances. That's something he needs to work on where ever he goes. Important to be solid and build from that foundation but this season we need to be careful as the league is stronger with Pats, Bohs and Dundalk all in the mix too.
Don't forget all rounds of our cup run were at home and Shels didn't turn up for the Final. Lucky as Linfield.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:35 pm
marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:08 pm He's had an impressive impact no doubt about it. The highlight was surely the Cup Final. But aside from that day we are not a team that scores many goals or create many chances. That's something he needs to work on where ever he goes. Important to be solid and build from that foundation but this season we need to be careful as the league is stronger with Pats, Bohs and Dundalk all in the mix too.
Don't forget all rounds of our cup run were at home and Shels didn't turn up for the Final. Lucky as Linfield.
Agree. But we beat SR at the Brandywell and he lifted us from bottom to 2nd. Fair to say he lifted expectations very high and very early in his tenure which he's now suffering from.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:23 pm
brandyball wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:35 pm
Agree. But we beat SR at the Brandywell and he lifted us from bottom to 2nd. Fair to say he lifted expectations very high and very early in his tenure which he's now suffering from.
Think he's taken us as far as he can I can't see Barnsley or anyone else tolerating thr negative tactics we have to.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

we're going through a barren spell no doubt about it. play is dull and fans losing the will to live. still will be surprised if it all goes through. Presumably we'll receive a bit of compensation and Paddy would step in immediately. So from Derry's perspective just maybe it will work out for everyone.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:40 pm we're going through a barren spell no doubt about it. play is dull and fans losing the will to live. still will be surprised if it all goes through. Presumably we'll receive a bit of compensation and Paddy would step in immediately. So from Derry's perspective just maybe it will work out for everyone.
Not sure He will leave either.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I was on a Barnsley fan forum and to say the supporters are underwhelmed would be an understatement. If the Yorkshire newspaper is linking Darren Moore and Chris Wilder to the post, and are seeing that Higgins is a front runner I can see why they would be disappointed.

A post on this forum has been cut and pasted onto their discussion.

http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/ruaidh ... ns.323182/

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:27 pm I was on a Barnsley fan forum and to say the supporters are underwhelmed would be an understatement. If the Yorkshire newspaper is linking Darren Moore and Chris Wilder to the post, and are seeing that Higgins is a front runner I can see why they would be disappointed.

Barnsley FC manager search: 'Innovative and tactically flexible' young coach emerges as front-runner to replace Michael Duff
Derry City manager Ruaidhri Higgins has emerged as a leading candidate to be Barnsley's New Manager

Yorkshire Post.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

we’ll see.

Anybody got tickets for the Kerry match - only €50 a go.
:P

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:27 pm I was on a Barnsley fan forum and to say the supporters are underwhelmed would be an understatement. If the Yorkshire newspaper is linking Darren Moore and Chris Wilder to the post, and are seeing that Higgins is a front runner I can see why they would be disappointed.

Just read through the comments, one guy says they wouldn't be paying six figures for him in compensation another pointed out they would have to if that's what his contract equated to another reckons because they bought a wing back from NI for £25k that's approx the figure they would pay for Higgins. Some thinking we play in the NIFL & comparing it to the National League in England, others are well aware of the league we play in & pointing out that it's a better standard than the NIFL

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hearing he's Staying.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Heard the same