Higgins- Barnsley

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Higgins- Barnsley

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:50 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 pm Apparently Ruadhri is 2nd favourite for the Notts County job
This baffles me. Higgins has one of the highest budgets in the league, yet hasn't delivered the main objective he's been given yet (and hasn't achieved a huge amount beyond that. We qualified for Europe and won FAI Cups before him). I just don't see why a club in England would rate him. On what basis?
He lifted us from the doldrums under Devine into Europe. He then followed that up with the FAI Cup. And this year another 2nd place finish alongside a little run in Europe will have done him no harm. Obviously those watching closely will see this season past as a missed opportunity on many fronts rather than anything to shout about but that perspective for you. But if you're sat in England and in the lower leagues i'm sure with that track record he looks of interest and should rightly be considered for these positions.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:40 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 pm Apparently Ruadhri is 2nd favourite for the Notts County job
This baffles me. Higgins has one of the highest budgets in the league, yet hasn't delivered the main objective he's been given yet (and hasn't achieved a huge amount beyond that. We qualified for Europe and won FAI Cups before him). I just don't see why a club in England would rate him. On what basis?
He lifted us from the doldrums under Devine into Europe. He then followed that up with the FAI Cup. And this year another 2nd place finish alongside a little run in Europe will have done him no harm. Obviously those watching closely will see this season past as a missed opportunity on many fronts rather than anything to shout about but that perspective for you. But if you're sat in England and in the lower leagues i'm sure with that track record he looks of interest and should rightly be considered for these positions.
Yeah but he did all that in a relatively uncompetiitve league and where he had probably the highest or second highest budget. If he HADN'T achieved that, it would have been a disappointment to be honest. And as we know, English clubs don't exactly rate the LOI.

So I just don't get why a really big club like Notts Conty would be interested in Higgins. If he was a real character and impressed with his passion and chat if/when they spoke to him on the phone/Zoom, I'd get it. But he's not that kind of person either. It's all a feckin' mystery.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

There is no mystery. His name gets thrown up by software programs that try to evaluate manager performance. Clubs try and gain a competitive advantage using these performance tools. His name appears in the results and he gets interviewed.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:23 pm
marcoloco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:40 pm

Yeah but he did all that in a relatively uncompetiitve league and where he had probably the highest or second highest budget. If he HADN'T achieved that, it would have been a disappointment to be honest. And as we know, English clubs don't exactly rate the LOI.

So I just don't get why a really big club like Notts Conty would be interested in Higgins. If he was a real character and impressed with his passion and chat if/when they spoke to him on the phone/Zoom, I'd get it. But he's not that kind of person either. It's all a feckin' mystery.
Let me put it another way. Did you really expect him to win the league? To overturn Rovers after only 2 years in the job? I think we all agree the football he plays is dull and has resulted in some missed opportunities. But he's still got some notable achievments in that period. Rovers remain head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. I think it's harsh to turn round and say why haven't you won the league yet. I still dont expect him to win it next year either - best we can hope for is a cup run domestically and in europe.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Higgins- Barnsle

Post by eugenio »

Marco totally agree Tactically in one season we tossed away the Cup Stuttered out of Europe ,when we shouldn’t have, before the exciting stages. then in some league games played turgid stuff and literally threw away the points that could have won it. So my problem is Tactically he’s conservative and hard to change in his views

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Jesus the season is still a month from ko and the criers and nay sayers are at it already. The profits of doom. Any opportunity or excuse to have a sneaky or not so sneaky go……

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:04 pm Jesus the season is still a month from ko and the criers and nay sayers are at it already. The profits of doom. Any opportunity or excuse to have a sneaky or not so sneaky go……
There me thinking this was a chat forum and not a love in. :lol:

With Hoban on the verge of joining Rovers (according to some Media outlets) then it may look a serious error starting our friendlies with no recognised striker at the club.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:04 pm Jesus the season is still a month from ko and the criers and nay sayers are at it already. The profits of doom. Any opportunity or excuse to have a sneaky or not so sneaky go……
It’s also called opinion I still pay still go and am committed I’ve also seen some weird stuff Slow build up no running no goals Opinion

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:37 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:04 pm With Hoban on the verge of joining Rovers (according to some Media outlets) then it may look a serious error starting our friendlies with no recognised striker at the club.
Not a chance he will join Rovers, relax