Derry City v $h£l$ Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v $h£l$ Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Mark Connolly has been speaking to the media today talking about returning to the side this Friday after being on the bench on Saturday. With Shane McEleney possibly carrying an injury and with two games in 4 days you'd expect him to feature from the start in one. Diallo is missing this game through suspension so it may open the door for Fats to start too.

Unsure of the ticket situation but if you hear of any shops still having some (preferably in the Waterside) post here as I need one.

Match is live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v $h£l$ Match Thread

Post by Keyser Soze »

Expect a typical game v Shels (exc the cup final).

They will sit back, soak up, try to nick a goal.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pm Expect a typical game v Shels (exc the cup final).

They will sit back, soak up, try to nick a goal.
Them, or us?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

🎉
Last edited by Marty on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Shels were well organised and kept their shape tonight. We were guilty once again of passing back and sideways allowing them to get back into position. Draw was a fair result but the they were there for the taking particularly in the 2nd half. Great save by our keeper from the penalty. Need 3 points on Monday.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Shockingly negative team. Even shels played 2 up top.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

We can go on about how well organised they were but it doesn't excuse the fact that we were dreadful. Ben Doherty on the right wing made no sense. From the start of the season he has featured at Left Back and has produced attacking returns there. On the right tonight he was uncomfortable, ineffective and unsure of himself. Everyone could see this yet no-one thought to switch him round for longer than a ten minute spell.

Midfield as usual was a non-compete. Mark Coyle was made to look like a superstar without doing anything. Can't think of any great challenges or watching him boss anyone off the ball. Every time he came into possession it was off a dreadful pass or touch. Fats' passing was brutal, O'Reilly was clueless tonight and McJannett has been poor again tonight.

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Square pegs in round holes, so disjointed. Picking players for the sake of it and making them fit anywhere. We're better than this :roll:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Higgins has no clue.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Although there were a few chances either side, it wasn't a great game and Derry struggled in front of goal again.

No idea how anyone could think playing O'Reilly as an attacking midfielder and McEleney further back is a good idea. Sometimes feel like Higgins wants to turn him into himself.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Higgins tactics make it convenient for people to think our strikers are off form and we need new strikers. Wouldnt matter who was playing up top, tactics are brutal.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:23 pm Higgins has no clue.
Starting to think this is our biggest problem. We have a decent squad, apart from the forward line, and we should be getting a lot more from them IMO

MINTER

Post by MINTER »

Money that's has been pumped unto that6 squad and that'd the return.....absolute pish ..I.dont care what the happy clappers say..
Higgins and his negative tactics will never win us the league...once again trying to play a rotation...sickened now..aye wee are second ...with the money should be starting to create a gap..a parcel of shite

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Fats is one of the best attacking midfielders in the league yet plays in more of a CDM role. Why?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Paul_C wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:02 am Fats is one of the best attacking midfielders in the league yet plays in more of a CDM role. Why?
Exactly. Dummigan the best defensive midfielder in the country was played at right back last week in Sligo.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

We are mid way through the season and still are unaware as to what our best team is.

Looking on paper last night that side put out was very very strong albeit playing Doherty out right was bananas. I get the fact that he has this obsession with playing wingers who are inverted to clearly allow the fullbacks who are different footed to the wingers to get up and support. Problem is Coll isn't going to get up to often to support Duffy and likewise with Boyce to get outside Doherty.

Why even for 15mins could he not switch Duffy and Doherty to see if they could get outside the shels fullbacks to try get the ball in the box.

Why did he break up what has become a solid partnership with Doherty and Duffy on the left?

Higgins really is becoming the tinkerman with player rotation. He is still trying to find what his best team is. He needs to find it ASAP and start being consistent with his team selection. How are we supposed to build momentum when he's rotates week in week out.

Bringing will patching on at the end to try and change the game is like going down to 10 men.

RH spoke last week about how we can't have a repeat of the Sligo performance and the players know it's not good enough. Well they clearly didn't pay much attention to him as last night was just as bad bar not getting beat only for a Brian Maher peno save.

Not sure about use boys but it's getting harder and harder to watch as the season goes on.

I never expected to win the league this year however I did think there would be some progression and I'll be honest i don't think there has been.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

This was my post from las6 week after the Sligo game, below - quite scary but not a single thing had changed. Simply change the word `Sligo’ for ‘`Shels’.

We were rubbish last night and don’t like a time that can win the league. We look a midtable team that is hard to beat and so got a few one nil wins to put us into a false position.

We look a mid-table at present. It is quite sad but I can only remember 1-2 games all season that I have enjoyed. The rest have been dull, boring, hard to watch with little excitement.

Sligo were very very ordinary and had no really threat at all, bar the goal and the late chances in injury time, they offered nothing.

We are so dull though it is unreal.

Higgins got carried away with those 'epic' 1-0 wins away to Shels and Bohs - were the performances in both games was very poor after bright starts, in both games we were also playing against 10 men.

We have been very dull all season apart from some small sparks, and if we combine last season also - on the whole, bar say 3-4 exceptions (Pats away 4-0, Rovers home in cup 3-1 and the cup final) - we are generally dull to watch.

We create very little and have zero goal threat up front.

We are how half way through the league season, our two strikers have scored 1 goal each !! That is literally shocking and it will be impossible to win a league if no strikers are scoring.

Our goal threats are only Duffy, McEnuff and Doherty.

Patching one goal all season
Fats one goal
O'Neill one goal
Brandon Kavanagh one goal
O'Reilly, Dummigan, Diallo all zero.

We are so good defensively and very solid in midfield and have got exceptional players in the squad, probably 7 of the best in the entire league (Maher, Connolly, Duffy, McJannett, Dummigan, O'Reilly and Fats) - and yet for all this, I think we are still a long distance from winning a league.

We are dour to watch and I struggle to see how we can suddenly flip to being league champions very quickly, as the style of play never changes under the current manager and hasn't done in a long time.

We have very tough games in June (Shels twice, Pats away, Rovers away, and Bohs again). - I think come the end of June, we will know either way, if we are genuine title contenders or bluffers - but we need to add some excitement to our play.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

It simply isn't good enough.

Despite our league position (which could be 3rd if Bohs win their game in hand), we have gone backwards this season.

There is next to no entertaining games, the tactics aren't working yet we persist with them, and we seem clueless. The squad of players is better than our performances, much better. So it has to be manager tactics that's to blame. We were lead to believe RH was the most promising young manager around when he signed. That he was a fantastic oppositon analyst.

Well what we've seen is proving all this to be nonsense. We look devoid of any ideas, and often get outplayed by teams with a fraction of our budget and squad. We were lucky to get a draw last night again.

Reading other fans views of us is showing the same. The last few weeks, I have now read Sligo and Shels fans saying they can't believe how poor we are. Well, neither can we.

Things need to be sorted soon. Speaking to a lot of folk I know who go to games, everyone is p1ssed off, and rightly so. It's not good enough. When you pay the biggest money for 2 of the top coaches, you expect better.