Derry City Vs UCD Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Derry City Vs UCD Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

Next Up are the Students on Friday Night. Live on Radio Foyle Drive 105 and on LOITV.

Match Preview

https://audioboom.com/posts/8302541-hig ... roach-by-t

TenaciousDee

Re: Derry City Vs UCD Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Will it be on Foyle? I thought they were on industrial strike action Friday.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 am Will it be on Foyle? I thought they were on industrial strike action Friday.
Oh Aye, forgot about that.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Got to make sure we put the students to the sword. Cannot be complacent or take anything for granted in this game.

Quick start and get that early goal to force them to come out and try and have a go at us. Hopefully then we can pick them apart.

Think he has to play with the same team that started the game on Monday with the exception being potentially big shane. If he is only semi fit then Ciaran Coll would be the only change id make.

Ideally if we do get a head start we can then start thinking about bringing on the likes of Dummigan and potentially the return of Connolly.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

I can see Jamie getting a start again to try and get a goal or 2 for his confidence.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Neutrino wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:01 am I can see Jamie getting a start again to try and get a goal or 2 for his confidence.
Would love to see us play two up front in games like this. Jamie and Kavanagh up tops and maybe play 3 at the back or sacrifice a holding midfielder.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

KEVK wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:49 am
Neutrino wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:01 am I can see Jamie getting a start again to try and get a goal or 2 for his confidence.
Would love to see us play two up front in games like this. Jamie and Kavanagh up tops and maybe play 3 at the back or sacrifice a holding midfielder.
Would agree with this. I don't want to be too demanding, but I think we need to be scoring at least 3 goals against these boys tonight. If we can put 3 past Dundalk, no reaoson we can't past the worst team in the league. And we need it for our goal difference.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Am I the only persons who thinks Cian Kavanagh is miles of the standard required at present. He is young however his link up play and touch is poor, rarely wins his headers and lacks pace!

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

barry wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:48 pm Am I the only persons who thinks Cian Kavanagh is miles of the standard required at present. He is young however his link up play and touch is poor, rarely wins his headers and lacks pace!
I wouldnt argue with that but whats the alternative?

At least he actually gets close to the ball if you watch Jamie he is never in the right place always positionally never there.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I hope B Kavanagh starts as well and gets given the full 90 minutes.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

barry wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:48 pm Am I the only persons who thinks Cian Kavanagh is miles of the standard required at present. He is young however his link up play and touch is poor, rarely wins his headers and lacks pace!
Agreed. For where we want to be, at this stage in his career, I don't think he has the necessary abilities to be our starting CF on a consistent basis.

The fact we were playing O'Neill as a false 9 shows where McGonigle is in the pecking order at the moment so I'm not sure the alternatives are any better unfortunately.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

Boysajesus. We rarely win at home and some people demanding at least a three goal win. Would take a one nil now and the three points thank you very much

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

forza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:46 am Boysajesus. We rarely win at home and some people demanding at least a three goal win. Would take a one nil now and the three points thank you very much
Its UCD at home. Our last 4 results have end 4-0, 3-0, 1-0 and 7-1. In games like this we need to be thinking about scoring early and often.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

I know who we are playing son. Always respect the opposition

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

You can respect the opposition, and the manager will do the usual spiel of talking them up, but let's be honest we should be beating them easily.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

He beats the onside trap so well.

He's hopeless. It was hard listening to games while listening to how good he's doing.

candystriper 90

Post by candystriper 90 »

And he's not from Dungiven

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

forza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:36 am I know who we are playing son. Always respect the opposition
It's not about disrespect, it's about having confidence in your own abilities to do a job and do it well. I don't see how thinking about winning by more than 1 goal is disrespectful... Dad

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

The call for a more vociferous support for players is rearing it’s head again.
I’ve a limited range so will have to stick with “twinkle, twinkle little star....”

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »