Bohemians v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Re: Bohemians v Derry City Match Thread

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Someone said before the game that they would take a scrappy 1 nil and come back up the the road with the 3 points and happy enough. I actually agreed with them until I was coming back up the road still absolutely annoyed at that second half performance.

Higgins tactical substitutions are unbelievably questionable at times. There doesn't seem to be much logic to it all.

Felt our best players overall where mcjannet, Shane and O'Reilly. Everyone else was grand.

Brandon Kavanagh has got a raw deal at Derry. Should be starting well ahead of Ollie O'Neill. He creates chances and has something about him that I don't see in O'Neill. When is his loan up?

It looked in the second half at times we had 10 men. They always seemed to have a man over. Absolutely ridiculous. We should have been able to control the second half and for some reason didn't.

Is the lack of urgency in our play coached by Higgins and his team or is it just something that the players revert back to?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Agree with comment directly above. Sometimes it feels like manager thinks going for a second goal is more risky than trying to sit on a one nil. You wouldn't think Bohs were the ones with ten men in the second half.

We played most of game against ten men with no striker.

I thought Duffy was well shackled.

The new away section in Dalymount is decent. A shame some Derry fans wanted to tear down some of the wire at full time.

Think O'Neill loan up in summer but not sure.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:38 am Someone said before the game that they would take a scrappy 1 nil and come back up the the road with the 3 points and happy enough. I actually agreed with them until I was coming back up the road still absolutely annoyed at that second half performance.

Higgins tactical substitutions are unbelievably questionable at times. There doesn't seem to be much logic to it all.

Felt our best players overall where mcjannet, Shane and O'Reilly. Everyone else was grand.

Brandon Kavanagh has got a raw deal at Derry. Should be starting well ahead of Ollie O'Neill. He creates chances and has something about him that I don't see in O'Neill. When is his loan up?

It looked in the second half at times we had 10 men. They always seemed to have a man over. Absolutely ridiculous. We should have been able to control the second half and for some reason didn't.

Is the lack of urgency in our play coached by Higgins and his team or is it just something that the players revert back to?
Thought Diallo was excellent too.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

The sending off changed their game plan. We capitalised on it and scored. We then went on an amazing 20 odd mins of possession football.
We should have capitalised on the fact that Paddy Kirk was on a yellow early on and gave Graydon the ball more but we put the ball down the left more times than enough.
Second half was well balanced but Bohs to their credit contained Derry and played really well. As someone already said you wouldnt have thought they were playing with 10 men.
Diallo had a decent game but should have been hooked earlier. Patching and Graydon both went missing in the second half and again Brandon Kavanagh creates more when he comes on as a sub compared to those he replaces.

But its back to back wins and we have to face the old bogey side on Monday night. Hopefully this time next week we are on a four game winning streak because you need runs like that to sustain a chance of winning the league.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Again it was a case of "what we have, we hold". Scored from a great move instigated by Michael Duffy on the left once again. First half we controlled the game with Bohs camped in their own half, but at 1-0 you never feel comfortable that we can hold on.

I see Decky mentioned the red card and the ref changing the course of the match. Personally I think it was his reluctance to take Paddy Kirk off that cost Bohs. Booked on the 45th second (rightfully so), Kirk was scared to go near Graydon after. Each time Graydon ran at him, he stood off. Once the red was given he should have hooked Kirk off too. When he did at half time, Bohs looked much better on that side and in spells all over the park.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Good win but poor tactics. Playing without a CF left us without an out ball. Second half Derry were lacking in energy and fight so have to question the halftime talk. If you just turned the game on for the 2nd half you would have never guessed who had the extra man so are the team fit or just lazy ?

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

brandyball wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:07 am
dcfc_legend9 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:38 am

Thought Diallo was excellent too.
Agree.
There seems to a reluctance by some to credit Diallo when he has good games but quick to list his faults rather than the skills he has that brought to the brandywell
Hope Dummigan gets back to his pre-injury form soon as he is also a key player for our chances of winning a trophy this year.
Goals are scarce - whoever they get in July needs the supply to built our goal difference.