Drogheda United v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Re: Drogheda United v Derry City Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

First 20 minutes I thought we played well. Pressed Drogheda into a sweat and scored 11 minutes in. O'Reilly could have had a second in this period (header) and had another great chance later in the first half. O'Reilly had a few last ditch arrivals to the edge of the box as the ball got cut across, something we had lacked for most of the season thus far. However, a stoppage in play around the 20th minute and a quick chat on the sidelines, Drogs started clawing back.

Our right hand side all night lacked any presence and I thought the opposite would be the case with Coll back in the starting eleven. We rarely threatened their left back and Graydon failed to back Coll in defence. Their two best opportunities came from that side, only for us to be saved by the bar and a Maher save.

James O'Toole described our midfield perfectly tonight. We became very flat in the centre after the initial opening 20. No-one broke ranks to push forward or apply pressure and we were so slow in that area, especially with the introduction of Patching for McEneff. Not saying McEneff had a good game but at least he tried to move the ball up with some urgency.

That said, we have been dreadful at that ground for a long time and for once we picked up three points, when on any other night we may have conceded towards the end.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

3 points but another slog to even watch. Maher pulled off a few good saves and yet again we look toothless in the final third.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Not sure what the point of the cross field balls is on such a small pitch.

Awful going forward but defended well. Draper a real handful and the type of player you would like Kavangh to be but isn't.