Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Opening a thread for the first if two home games over the bank holiday weekend.

There are limited tickets available in shops across town but if you have any other updates on availability please post.

Match will be live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic Match Thread

Post by Keyser Soze »

2 real tough games, especially given our home form.

Think if we got 4pts from them it would be a good return.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Jez, there's some buzz around this website about this game! :roll:

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I know it's still early days, but I think these 2 games will have a big bearing on how our season progresses (and the confidence of both the team and the fans).

An absolute minimum of 4pts are required to keep in touch with Bohs at the top and avoid a slow slide down the table. Bohs have UCD and Cork in their 2 bank holiday fixtures, so will presumably bag full points from those. We need to do the same ideally, but with 4 as a minimum.

Looking forward to seeing Whelan play in the flesh for the first time, plus the home return of Duffy. Let's hope to god he sees the season out injury-free, as we're a diffferent team without him.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:47 pm Jez, there's some buzz around this website about this game! :roll:
Maybe when the match previews start getting published people will get a bit more excited.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Couldn't agree more about Duffy staying fit, and Whelan too.

Hopefully our pitch doesn't do them any harm for the rest of the season.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

If there are no new injury developments, I'd probably start with last Friday's team but swap B Kavanagh for O'Neill behind the striker. Would keep Whelan as a sub for the moment while he comes back.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

To be honest after a few dismal displays and results I think we have put the pressure on ourselves to get 6 points from these 2 games to be in with a chance of winning the league. This weekend really is make or break for Derry.

Hopefully see Whelan in some capacity over the weekend however id say it will be 15 - 20 mins in both games max.

Duffy has to start absolutely makes us tick.

Bohs will be rubbing their hands at the fixtures this week. They really could build up that momentum if they get the 6 points and their nearest rivals all drop points against each other.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:59 am To be honest after a few dismal displays and results I think we have put the pressure on ourselves to get 6 points from these 2 games to be in with a chance of winning the league. This weekend really is make or break for Derry.

Hopefully see Whelan in some capacity over the weekend however id say it will be 15 - 20 mins in both games max.

Duffy has to start absolutely makes us tick.

Bohs will be rubbing their hands at the fixtures this week. They really could build up that momentum if they get the 6 points and their nearest rivals all drop points against each other.
I'm sure Derry can rub their hands when all the Dublin Derbies come around.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

I feel more confident about getting a result here tonight than I would against mid table teams. You would imagine St Pats will try and play a bit, giving us more space to work in.

I don't see Whelan starting, still feels too soon but it's great that he could make an impact off the bench.

4 points is the least we require from these two games.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Good result, clean sheet. Onwards and upwards.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Best home performance in a long while. Ollie O.Neills best performance of the season, O'Reilly, Doherty, Duffy excellent too. Whelan proving ro be a great addition.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Good win without playing amazing. Pat's didn't really offer anything. Duffy was good especially in the first half. Duffy, Whelan and mceleney when he comes back should be exciting.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It's mad how we're a completely different team when Duffy plays. He gives us an attacking style of play that we lack in his absence.

Two goals in two games for Whelan, despite playing only about 50-60mins football in total between them. Maybe he is the goalscoring messiah we've been waitng for after all ? :D

Graydon's penalty award was a bit soft. He left his leg trailing, but the contact was there from what I could see so it was a valid peno. Interesting to see Ben Doherty stepping up to take it as well.

We played some nice football tonight at times, and could easily have gone in 2-0 up at half-time if we'd a bit more luck (and if Pats' keeper hadn;t been on form).

A good night at the office against a Pats team who don't offer much at all really. Plus Bohs were exposed at UCD for the fact that the current league table flatters them. Now for the big one on Monday :geek:

P.S. Anyone know why we weren't in our normal dug-out tonight ?

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

stevebradley wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:00 am It's mad how we're a completely different team when Duffy plays. He gives us an attacking style of play that we lack in his absence.

Two goals in two games for Whelan, despite playing only about 50-60mins football in total between them. Maybe he is the goalscoring messiah we've been waitng for after all ? :D

Graydon's penalty award was a bit soft. He left his leg trailing, but the contact was there from what I could see so it was a valid peno. Interesting to see Ben Doherty stepping up to take it as well.

We played some nice football tonight at times, and could easily have gone in 2-0 up at half-time if we'd a bit more luck (and if Pats' keeper hadn;t been on form).

A good night at the office against a Pats team who don't offer much at all really. Plus Bohs were exposed at UCD for the fact that the current league table flatters them. Now for the big one on Monday :geek:

P.S. Anyone know why we weren't in our normal dug-out tonight ?
Superstition....according to the manager

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derry-spo ... right.html
Meanwhile, Higgins admitted that superstition was behind the decision to change dug-outs, dressing rooms and warm up location ahead of tonight’s game.

“People, myself included, just wanted a change of scenery,” he explained. “We prepared completely differently for the game tonight, we went somewhere different before coming to the Brandywell. We changed dug-out, changing rooms and where we warmed up; I just wanted a complete change of scenery. If that’s what’s done the trick then brilliant, but I’m not so sure. Football managers are known to be superstitious and I’m probably one of them.”

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Thought we played really well in the first half and should've gone in at least 1 in front at half time. The penalty was soft but we were owed that after the one Bohs got against us.

Whelan looks a player...

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:25 pm Best home performance in a long while. Ollie O.Neills best performance of the season, O'Reilly, Doherty, Duffy excellent too. Whelan proving ro be a great addition.
This is spot on for me. Much more direct again with O’Neill pushed right up and we got players in around the box quickly and consistently.