Paddy McLaughlin

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Paddy McLaughlin

Post by TenaciousDee »

I am sure you have all seen that Paddy McLaughlin has left Cliftonville and will become the assistant manager at the club.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Re: Paddy McLaughlin

Post by Marty »

The correct decision. Well done to all involved.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant to the finances involved in the Irish League but this seems like such an odd move from McLauglin to make at this stage of his career?

Great capture for us mind you. Hopefully he'll add a lot to the current set up. An obvious successor too should it come to that...

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Welcome Home Paddy.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:42 pm Maybe I'm a bit ignorant to the finances involved in the Irish League but this seems like such an odd move from McLauglin to make at this stage of his career?

Great capture for us mind you. Hopefully he'll add a lot to the current set up. An obvious successor too should it come to that...
Likely taking Cliftonville as far as he could with the finances at his disposal. Cliftonville & Coleraine are the only two teams in top 6 that aren't full-time & the fact Paddy had Cliftonville going to the final day in the title race last season & still in with a chance up to a few weeks ago shows how great a job he was doing. To take Cliftonville any further or keep them competing he probably needed a F/T set-up

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

A No.2 with promises of being No.1 when the opportunity comes around?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Hopefully this is the shake-up the squad needs, cos we were going backwards.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:42 pm Maybe I'm a bit ignorant to the finances involved in the Irish League but this seems like such an odd move from McLauglin to make at this stage of his career?

Odd? On face value perhaps.

In reality however, as has been alluded to, he took the reds as far as he could, he is moving home, he will be better off financially, and, most importantly, he is 'assistant' in name only if the significant role of Reynolds is anything to go by, alongside our very inexperienced manager/management team.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

da-gama wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:17 am
I only say 'odd' as it's not often you see managers given up their job to move to an assistant coaching position.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 pm
da-gama wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:17 am
I only say 'odd' as it's not often you see managers given up their job to move to an assistant coaching position.
Maybe only temporarily?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Wonder will he take players with him?

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

brandyball wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm Wonder will he take players with him?
...and/or Marty McCann

jimd

Post by jimd »

Welcome back paddy,great news

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

brandyball wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm Wonder will he take players with him?
Without sounding ignorant & maybe someone who watches the IL closely could shed more light on it but are there any players at Cliftonville that would improve us or give us something different to what we already have?

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:05 pm
Without sounding ignorant & maybe someone who watches the IL closely could shed more light on it but are there any players at Cliftonville that would improve us or give us something different to what we already have?
Ryan Curran ? Improved a lot since he left us... Bit older and wiser and knows the set up in these parts... Its a no brainer...

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Greengo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:45 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:05 pm
Ryan Curran ? Improved a lot since he left us... Bit older and wiser and knows the set up in these parts... Its a no brainer...
Ryan was somebody that came to mind but who do you move on to fit him in to the team/squad?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Since before Christmas, Ryan has barely featured. Spent 9 or so games on the bench or not included in the squad at all. They also drafted in Parkhouse on loan and he has barely played either.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Ryan Curran and top goalscorer Ronan Hale (and another former candystripe of course) only players worth.

Both have FT jobs in Belfast which I doubt they'll leave to play second fiddle to McGonigle.
Last edited by da-gama on Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Ryan Curran, o dear god. Has eugino got burner accounts?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I think he'll end up in England soon but I wonder could Sean Moore be persuaded to have a year or two in LOI before moving on.