Derry City v Bohemians Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
barry
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Bohemians Match Thread

Post by barry »

Passive, predictable, Patching!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Is it too early to call for Higgins head? Asking for a friend.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Glad i didn't go now

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Mark Connolly is our best player and has been since we signed him. We look poor and are without a leader since he's been injured. Luckily nearly every team in this league look inconsistent. Unfortunately rovers are on a good run and can't see it stopping anytime soon.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

brandyball wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm Is it too early to call for Higgins head? Asking for a friend.
Catch yourself on, son

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

brandyball wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm Is it too early to call for Higgins head? Asking for a friend.
It's far to early but he buys the players, picks the team and tactics. These performances are on him. He needs to sort this out and quick. You go to brandywell these days and tbh you are not expecting to be entertained anymore and see a few goals- it's been poor enough for a long time at home.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Another absolute drab performance. Tactically the same old stuff. Plan A doesn't work although at least this time we did have a plan B by going 3 at the back the only issue was Higgins left it far to late to make any difference.

I have said it before we should be playing with 2 wingbacks and 2 up top at home. Gives teams something different to think about.

Too many passengers and players simply not good enough in that team. Patching definitely has something over Higgins as he continues to start. O'Neill a boy in a man's league.

Hard watch tonight again. Hopefully something changes soon at the Brandywell.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thought the ref let a lot go which made for a committed game but the officials missed an awful lot of shirt pulling by Bohs.

Fairly predictable gaelic/rugby game by Devine and fairly predictable approach by Higgins.

I felt Patching had a tendency to drift out wide too much which leads to overcrowding on the wings but perhaps more importantly leaves McGonigle with no supporting midfielder at all.

I thought the subs changed things but a bit too late. B Kavanagh was dangerous. It's probably still a game where if Duffy plays, Derry win.

I'd really like to see McEleney play more advanced.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:44 pm With Bohs 3pts clear at the top, I suspect they might be happy with the draw, and perhaps hope to sneak the 3pts on breakaway like Drogs did.

Told ya so.

Another shocking performance. We are well and truly found out at home.

Make the Brandywell a fortress! Don't make me laugh.

Teams are coming here looking for a good result. Only teams like Ucd and Cork are beatable here.

To drop 10 of the last 15 points at home simply isn't good enough. But sure we'll be told we are still 2nd in the league. Just ignore the fact that we are in rapid decline, we're still 2nd. It's all rosy. This form is not even midtable standard. Things need to change, and soon.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

I actually thought that was a better performance than Friday but that isn't saying much. We had opportunities in this game to get shots off/create shots but a lack of quality let us down. Moments from Doherty, O'Neill, Jamie and Graydon in the first half stand out for me.

We do quite a lot of good things in keeping possession, controlling the pace of games but we just lack the quality at the top end to create chances consistently. Add to that Fats can't stay fit.

As I said on Friday, this isn't a title winning team. Either are that Bohs team in fairness.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Higgins blaming the ref here... I have to disagree with him, it was a clumsy challenge from O'Neill, one you see result in a penalty quite often. Needs to look closer to home.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/home/1082 ... table.html

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

O'Neill is useless. Like all LOI fans, Derry fans salivated at the prospect of an U21 International signing for us and built him up as a great prospect/player. Other than the goal v UCD he has offered zero. Tonight was the first time I have screamed for a player to be hooked since Robbie Savage against Reading in 2008. You can tell what he is going to do before he does it. He collects the ball, prances forward a few yards then kicks it backwards another 10. He has no attacking nuance, he rarely plays a cross that leads to a shot and he rarely takes the man on. Jay Benn was made to look better than he was because of O'Neill tonight, but he still wasn't the worst on the pitch.

When I seen Patching and O'Neill's names on the team sheet tonight, I put my head in my hands. Patching, who is one of our top earners is walking around the pitch with abysmal body language. Each time he loses the ball he feels sorry for himself but what is more worrying is that he isn't looking to receive the ball. O'Reilly to his credit, made great challenges, ran like the durecell bunny and tried to bring players into the game. Patching stood still with his arms at one length. Good midfielders are demanding the ball, looking to play off the forwards and link play. He was doing neither. I get that I have never been a fan and people will be dying to point that out but other than his set pieces, what has he offered? Even now that has dried up. Hasn't scored a Free since September and hasn't scored a penalty since UCD in June. Yes he has provided 4 goals in the league but in recent weeks he carries himself as if he has "quiet quit".

Our tactics are the exact same since Higgins has arrived. No cohesion, no pace, the ball has to go through every defender before Midfield is brought in. When Fats is on the ball you need at least two forward runners but we always seem to have 8 players hiding from taking possession. Our forwards are isolated and our excuses are vast. Blaming the ref tonight is uncalled for. Our defeat was down to not being able to better Bohs setup, which was much better than ours tonight. Our penalty shout was never a penalty. If it was given against us we'd be up in arms. Their shout looked certain from my angle but others say otherwise, including a Dublin photographer I spoke with post match. Surrounding the ref after the game was pathetic, if you want someone to blame, look inward.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:54 pm Higgins blaming the ref here... I have to disagree with him, it was a clumsy challenge from O'Neill, one you see result in a penalty quite often. Needs to look closer to home.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/home/1082 ... table.html
Just read that link. My god. McJannett on Friday was lucky not to have gotten the second yellow a few minutes before he got it when he attempted to strike their forward. It was clear as day, Felix predicted it was coming 10 minutes before both incidents happened.

Referees are always an easy target.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Refs are an easy target but you can't say there hasn't been a few dubious calls against us in recent weeks. Agree with most of the the post though. I do think o Neill had two decent games at the start of the season but has been poor enough since.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

There has also been dubious calls in our favour too.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Single out players all you want, blame the pitch or the ref... They are all easy targets...

The thing we are missing at the moment is an assistant manager!

We dont need to bring in someone who is an established manager, so get Paddy McLaughlin out of your heads, we need a coach who can direct from the touchline without interfering with the managers decision.

Another manager in there is just a threat to the current set up. I'm happy with RH as manager but feel he is lacking without that Reynolds type character to back him up.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:13 am Single out players all you want, blame the pitch or the ref... They are all easy targets...

The thing we are missing at the moment is an assistant manager!

We dont need to bring in someone who is an established manager, so get Paddy McLaughlin out of your heads, we need a coach who can direct from the touchline without interfering with the managers decision.

Another manager in there is just a threat to the current set up. I'm happy with RH as manager but feel he is lacking without that Reynolds type character to back him up.
We absolutely need a no.2 but Reynold's departure does not explain our poor home form this season which has more to do with the Manager's calls and tactics. There's a lack of goals in our team which leaves us vulnerable and explains the draws and defeats.

City4ever
Supporter
Supporter

Post by City4ever »

I reckon once we get the injured players such as Connelly, Mc Jannett, Dummigan, Duffy, Harkin, Whelan back to fitness and playing we should be more than a match for anybody.

Some dubious decisions by officials at home the last few games haven't helped ( disallowed goal v. Sligo, disallowed goal v. Drogheda, no penalty v.Bohs then 1min later Bohs awarded one for something similar ).

I wish we would start the games with the intensity and attacking as we have finished the last few home games instead of waiting until we're losing/chasing the game.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

More worrying was the fact that "Fats" left the Brandywell last night wearing a large boot on his foot so another for the treatment table perhaps ?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

These performances are a carryover from last season. So people who are saying it's because Reynolds left, it's because we have players injured, it's the pitch etc are talking nonsense. It's the way the team is structured and setup to play. Can't ignore the performances at home the past 18 months as a collective. Everyone knows we can't break teams down at home- so why are we persisting with the same tactics and then surprised when we get the same old tripe. The system doesn't work- McGonigle is nowhere near the caliber of striker we need and the midfield contribute very little in an attacking sense apart from McEneff who scored a few. We have to remember here Higgins has had a very healthy budget to work with.