$h€l$ vs Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
magspat
First Team
First Team

Re: $h€l$ vs Derry City Match Thread

Post by magspat »

RTE give Molloy man of match Gareth McGlynn on radio foyle give it to McJannett,Irish daily star give it to Ben Doherty.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

magspat wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:58 pm RTE give Molloy man of match Gareth McGlynn on radio foyle give it to McJannett,Irish daily star give it to Ben Doherty.
Very rarely does the M.O.M be on losing team. RTE should be embarrassed by their coverage last night, commentators/ pundits the whole team.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Still very grim football.

I was at the game last night and it was obvious there was no push for the second goal against 10 men.

With zero goals coming from our strikers - I fear for our challenge.

Burke, Gaffney, Kenny all score for rovers every game.

O’Neill is doing very little, very easily knocked off the ball, and has a bad habit of then running back and giving free kicks away himself - we counted this 5 times last night. Missed a sitter in each half. Is he any better than McLaughlin, McEnuff or Brandon Kavanagh ?
Graydon is very basic - too often now he too seems to want to turn back and pass back to the full back - his direct running of last season has been knocked out of him.
McGonigle - contributes zero

Patching - strolling through games
Fats - too deep

Defensively - magnificent

We need goals and more Drive from this team.

Last night was a bit grim to be honest.

Now we revert back to our main issue - trying to beat two defensive teams at home in the next 2 games.

Hopefully we can do it, but we are seriously missing a spark or catalyst- perhaps Duffy can be the guy.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

joe3576 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:31 pm Still very grim football.

I was at the game last night and it was obvious there was no push for the second goal against 10 men.

O’Neill is doing very little, very easily knocked off the ball, and has a bad habit of then running back and giving free kicks away himself - we counted this 5 times last night. Missed a sitter in each half. Is he any better than McLaughlin, McEnuff or Brandon Kavanagh ?
Graydon is very basic - too often now he too seems to want to turn back and pass back to the full back - his direct running of last season has been knocked out of him.

Fats - too deep

Now we revert back to our main issue - trying to beat two defensive teams at home in the next 2 games.

Hopefully we can do it, but we are seriously missing a spark or catalyst- perhaps Duffy can be the guy.
There may be a vacancy for Assistant Manager coming soon. :lol:

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:15 pm
magspat wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:58 pm RTE give Molloy man of match Gareth McGlynn on radio foyle give it to McJannett,Irish daily star give it to Ben Doherty.
Very rarely does the M.O.M be on losing team. RTE should be embarrassed by their coverage last night, commentators/ pundits the whole team.
Personally would have suggested Shane McEleney but it is all self perception.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

A wins a win especially on a night like that away from home.

Started off very well then reverted to type. Not much penetration or desire to go for the jugular and wrap up a match when it's there for the taking.

Derry's forwards don't contributed much- hopefully Whelan is the fox in the box we need but is anyone else fed up of not having a plan B with always one man up front?

Four of our next six matches are at home (including Bohs, rovers and pats) so hopefully we get some players back and we see some much improved performances and home results.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:36 pm
joe3576 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:31 pm Still very grim football.

Fats - too deep

There may be a vacancy for Assistant Manager coming soon. :lol:
Give him a ship,load of money , exempt him from all criticism , ignore tactics that very often are in fathomable esp those that bore And. And you could have your man 👨

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Anyone who watched the Shels game (particularly the second half) and still thinks a plastic pitch is our biggest problem doesn't understand football :o

A win's a win - but our style of play, combined with limited shots on goal and no natural goalscorer, will cost us the league long before any pitch will.

Finding a replaceent for Reynolds is hopefully an opportunity for some new thinking to be injected into how we set the team up for games. Because that was a hard watch for large spells on Friday night.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:48 am Anyone who watched the Shels game (particularly the second half) and still thinks a plastic pitch is our biggest problem doesn't understand football :o
YOU still snipe at those who hate the plastic There was unprecedented rain in Dublin UNPRECEDENTATED dug out toilets etc flooded That the match finished was a miracle ….. but I suddenly don’t “ understand football” now . I will never demean myself by telling you what background in football I have but how arrogant can you get.? Very I’d think the forum is now a snipers nest at times wise up

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Eugenie you said you wouldn't mention plastic pitch again you just have.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

eugenio wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:53 pm
stevebradley wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:48 am Anyone who watched the Shels game (particularly the second half) and still thinks a plastic pitch is our biggest problem doesn't understand football :o
YOU still snipe at those who hate the plastic There was unprecedented rain in Dublin UNPRECEDENTATED dug out toilets etc flooded That the match finished was a miracle ….. but I suddenly don’t “ understand football” now . I will never demean myself by telling you what background in football I have but how arrogant can you get.? Very I’d think the forum is now a snipers nest at times wise up
Genuine question Eugenio - why do you think every post is about yourself ? :?:

There have been quite a few people on her saying that the Brandywell pitch is the answer to our problems. Stop taking everything so personally mucker.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

There's no doubting that our pitch does slow us down and stops us playing to our full potential but there's nothing going to be done about in the immediate future so we just have to get on with for now.

Let's stop with the three in midfield which clearly doesn't work and maybe play two up front because mcgonigle has been very isolated this season.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

magspat wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:29 pm Eugenie you said you wouldn't mention plastic pitch again you just have.
Mags Yes I realised that now I am genuinely sorry Itbmustbbe boring Yep last mention I promise :D Thanks seriously

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Eugenio only a joke your are entitled to your own opinion every one has one keep on posting.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

magspat wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:28 pm Eugenio only a joke your are entitled to your own opinion every one has one keep on posting.
I appreciate that def thanks :D 😊 im relieved 😌 thank

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

magspat wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:28 pm Eugenio only a joke your are entitled to your own opinion every one has one keep on posting.
Just don't mention The Pitch. ;)

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:10 pm
Just don't mention The Pitch. ;)
You beast lol lol lol 😂 😍

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

A win's a win - but our style of play, combined with limited shots on goal and no natural goalscorer, will cost us the league long before any pitch will.

Finding a replaceent for Reynolds is hopefully an opportunity for some new thinking to be injected into how we set the team up for games. Because that was a hard watch for large spells on Friday night.
Here’s the thing. Reynolds clearly said last year in an interview on one of the podcasts that he was the negative influence on the team tactics so maybe that tactical shift you seek will happen naturally now.

We have had a huge injury crisis. We have been missing half a dozen players who would get into any team in this league but we are unbeaten. We have beaten shams in Dublin. We are sitting handy in the league. We have some big players making their way back and some great games to look forward to in the Brandy. Imo we have the best manager in the league.

Do folk forget where we were at this point 2 years ago before Higgins arrival?

Citytilidie

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

joe3576 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:31 pm
Fair to saying Joe and Higgins have vastly different opinions...

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... le-4091937

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We know in modern football your striker does more than score goals, but you have to agree its their main role in the team.

Our main striker is currently very out of form when it comes to scoring, and it's a continuation from 2nd half of last season. 1 in 7 this season is the same return as our left back.

If we are to have any aspirations of winning this league, we are going to have to find a striker who can get close to 20 goals per season.